Parramore's Future: Highrise Development or No?

DelGreco

Is this for real...the City approved this?  I love it...and it kind of makes sense considering the Orlando Magic Entertainment Complex will be going up. This has the potential of a true destination if it happens.

I'm not sure who Tim Green is, but I looked up Urban America and they are a huge developer of major revitalization projects around he country...mostly in areas similar to Parramore.  Sounds like a solid foundation and if they have a multi-billion dollar private equity fund backing them...anything is possible. Something like this is badly needed if they want to truly transform Parramore...while still keeping a mixed income/race identity.

Kudos to the City and these developers if they make it happen!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

What is the latest on this "Green District"... will it come to fruition and change Parramore once and for all?  Did the City approve it and to what heights?

Sometimes I wish I lived during 1884 in Orlando...simple life, uncomplicated, clean slate...and it appears Parramore was still somebody's dream (or nightmare).

Can you find your "roots" in this depiction from the Florida Memory archives...???

Downtown_Orlando_1884.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There were no real surprises in today's State of the City address. One new piece of information is that the Church Street District main street (presumably with a name change) will expand its boundaries to encompass a large portion of the CBD and Parramore. They have already started hiring for a position to help with the new territory. Presumably, this will be a boon to small businesses there, and help the owners thrive in the face of a changing neighborhood.  Organizers would be smart to look to Chicago's South Shore neighborhood as a model of success. 

This was linked in the Bungalower story about the Main Street program there and I found it very interesting. Orlando was a mess in the 90s/2000s from every article I ever read. Seems like everything was just made up as they go then.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/orlando/down-on-main-street/Content?oid=2256299

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don’t think this has been discussed before - possible 17-story high rise at Central and Division: 

Boca Raton developer David Hirschfeld also held a pre-application meeting with the city in July to share preliminary plans for a 17-story mixed-use tower in Parramore, at Central Boulevard and Division Avenue, across from the proposed Orlando Magic Sports & Entertainment District.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-bz-orlando-new-skyscrapers-20190805-ngelcsm57bb2lcgcj2623neuvq-story.html

5 new "skyscrapers" which by the very title of the article shows the article is more slant than reality.

None of these buildings hit the current accepted height of 150M (492') for a skyscraper.  Two of them might hit the WWII era definition of 100M (328'), but none of them are even close to the 200M (656') future standard.

Edited by HankStrong
oops
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

5 new "skyscrapers" which by the very title of the article shows the article is more slant than reality.

None of these buildings hit the current accepted height of 150M (492') for a skyscraper.  Two of them might hit the WWII era definition of 100M (328'), but none of them are even close to the 200M (656') future standard.

I think it’s pretty clear they mean skyscraper by Orlando’s standards. Anything about close to 200 feet+ is a skyscraper. 75-150 feet is a high-rise. Anything at the knees or under is considered low-rise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2018 at 8:57 AM, Closet_Urbanite said:

What is the latest on this "Green District"... will it come to fruition and change Parramore once and for all?  Did the City approve it and to what heights?

Sometimes I wish I lived during 1884 in Orlando...simple life, uncomplicated, clean slate...and it appears Parramore was still somebody's dream (or nightmare).

Can you find your "roots" in this depiction from the Florida Memory archives...???

Downtown_Orlando_1884.jpg

It drives me insane when people talk about the "good ol' days.' Those days were a nightmare and horribly complicated for a majority of the population.  

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, RedStar25 said:

It drives me insane when people talk about the "good ol' days.' Those days were a nightmare and horribly complicated for a majority of the population.  

Indeed.  Walk around a cemetery from that era and just look at how young most of the dates are.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/7/2019 at 4:19 PM, HankStrong said:

Bags Inc. favored for more city-owned land next to Orlando HQ site, despite higher bid

Orlando-based Bags Inc. acquired by national travel services firm for $275M

Does anyone have an update of what will become of the SW corner of the Division and South Street intersection. The BAGS  Headquarters were supposed to be built on it after receiving a sweetheart deal from the City of Orlando on the 2.14 acre land acquisition. The owner sells the company for $275M and yet the City seems to have allowed him to keep the property without any new plans and use it for surface parking.  Wouldn’t it make sense to take it back and sell it to Bob Snow’s group with proven track record?

This site seems ideal for a mixed use high-rise to complement the Orlando Magic’s SED , DVX, Green District, etc...