Parramore's Future: Highrise Development or No?

DelGreco

The City has just recently decided to step up code enforcement in the area. They could have been forcing landowners to fix the homes (albeit this does take participation by the renters).

Can the city rezone an area once there are developments on it?

I ask this, because it would be nice to have some of the warehouses moved out of that neighborhood.

I would assume so, and that the existing use would be grandfathered in until they wanted to do something, add a building or fix an existing one, and they would not be able to.

Cities do change their zoning codes at times, it may only be playing around with the designations and adding or subtracting catagories, but I've also seen where existing homes have been rezoned commercial. I don't think the city would go the other way (industrial to residential) because of the tax losses, but it is possible.

The City has just recently decided to step up code enforcement in the area. They could have been forcing landowners to fix the homes (albeit this does take participation by the renters).

I ask this, because it would be nice to have some of the warehouses moved out of that neighborhood.

I've worked in urban development in communities around the nation and one of the most important factoring being forgotten about the deterioration of Parramore is Red Lining. This insidioius fiscal policy directly led the down fall of ethnic communities around the nation. Landowners/Business Owners were given no other choice without proper access to capital.

The question I have is why the city is now stepping up this "Zero Tolerance" campaign and forcing all the owners to repair structures that should be demolished to begin with. They have been this way for many years. Those few buildings with historical value and supposedly the only samples of Victorian style architecture were all rundown crack houses, until recently. The City allowed them to deteriorate because they had a "Full Tolerance" policy.

My guess is that they wanted the property values to remain at ridiculous levels so they can buy/assemble parcels for $5K-$10K each. I am sure they acquired quite a few from tax deed sales and code violation liens too. Now that the property values have started to rise in Parramore and a few major projects have been developed, the City can't afford to buy anymore land. It has to rely on investor's/developers to bring in the $$$ and clean up. The "Zero Tolerance" policy makes sense now because it will attract businesses/residents to invest.

It's a dirty game but that's the way it goes down....not just in Orlando. Parramore's future is bright and change is inevitable! Community diversity will be the glue that makes it a sustainable community for the long run. I think Buddy/Daisy know this...keep up the good work!

• 2 weeks later...

Orlando Sentinel article today:

Why would Orlando pay $600,000 for this house?

The city plans to spend $6.8 million on this and 4 other parcels in Parramore.

Mark Schlueb {sodEmoji.|} Sentinel Staff Writer

Posted July 26, 2006

Well it looks like the Gold Rush has begun sooner than I thought and the City is leading the charge.

I guess the days of buying parcels for $5K and $10K are over. I don't think this high dollar spending by the City is too bad considering they saved the taxpayers millions by buying most of that property for peanuts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Let me ask everyone a question as iam not an expert on this.Why doesnt Orlando,THe county sate and even feds pony up some monies and build some high rise affordable apartments in the parramore area.I have said it b/4 but in Indy they built two 45 story towers downtown that was funded by all the identies indy,state and feds.Whyw wouldnt that work here?The buildings are very attractive and add alot to their downtown.Just a thought.Or even build wome highrises for middle and upper income folks also

That's a good idea. As soon as City Place goes up, we should see more and more high rise activity in Parramore. They actually did a pretty good job with the Lexington hotel/condos. By the number of trailers sitting on that property, they appear to be planning to stay there a while.

The east side has peaked as far as price is concerned. 3-5% annual increases in property value will be the future for historic and trendy downtown. I think it will be well into double digits for Parramore. Just my opinion...

The economics of todays market will make Parramore more attractive to developer's. Let's hope the arena stays in downtown. This will certainly expedite mid/highrise development between I-4 and Parramore ave. If I had to guess, I would say developers are probably assembling land as we speak......Hmmm, I wonder if the City is helping them?!? :whistling:

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting.

I think I mentioned before I am a big fan of Toronto. Will Orlando become Toronto? Of course now but your northern neighbors in Canada do come up with some great ideas (once in a while).

I think what they are trying to do in RiverTowne (Toronto) would work well in neigborhoods of Parramore. This in combination with the 3 venues proposed for downtown will make downtown Orlando a safe and fun Destination!!

Can someone with cityhall contacts pass this article to Mayor Dyer and have him call the Mayor of Toronto for a tour/chat?!? :shok:

Star Article: Neighbourhood Mix

I'm curious what these announcements will do to the property values in parramore. The land surrounding the new arena will soon become prime real estate, and parramore can become the next Thornton Park... while hopefully catering more to the middle class.

It's not just about getting 3 new venues, but the IMPACT these venues will have on the areas which they surround. It's going to be exciting to see what spins off these large venues.

I agree...this will shift alot of attention to this area which is in need of decent housing, jobs, and integration.

I wish I knew how to post photos on this forum...how do you embed it in the text reply?

What is the status of Central Park (mini Lk Eola) and the Town Center? Are there any renderings of what this will look like? I heard there will be an overpass bridge for vehicles along W Church St and the two mini man-made lakes connecting underneath.

Any news on the BBIF mixed use building that will be imbedded into this park?

I agree...this will shift alot of attention to this area which is in need of decent housing, jobs, and integration.

I wish I knew how to post photos on this forum...how do you embed it in the text reply?

What is the status of Central Park (mini Lk Eola) and the Town Center? Are there any renderings of what this will look like? I heard there will be an overpass bridge for vehicles along W Church St and the two mini man-made lakes connecting underneath.

Any news on the BBIF mixed use building that will be imbedded into this park?

I heard they are making a park right next to hughes/ HD building.

There is an Events Center going in on the corner of Church and Division street. Does anyone know anything about this project, there is a sign there on the corner now, and i heard that they are building a highrise condo or apt building going in on the North West corner of Church and Terry in Parramore as well right across from Cityview apts which will be condos very soon :)

There is an Events Center going in on the corner of Church and Division street. Does anyone know anything about this project, there is a sign there on the corner now, and i heard that they are building a highrise condo or apt building going in on the North West corner of Church and Terry in Parramore as well right across from Cityview apts which will be condos very soon :)

You been under a rock? :blink:

I heard they built some sort of theme park SW of Orlando. Anybody hear about this?

And i'm a jerk? You guys are brutal.

You know whats funny is that I really dont think it was a joke. At first I thought he was serious, then the more I read it, I thought somebody was pulling our leg like that a-hole from SSC. But this dude is for real.

that guy is something else from SSC.