Parramore's Future: Highrise Development or No?

DelGreco

16 hours ago, Closet_Urbanite said:

Wouldn’t it make sense to take it back and sell it to Bob Snow’s group with proven track record?

I agree something needs to be done with the property, but Mr. Snow is a long ways away from a proven track record. Hopefully a better funded party comes along to develop it.

BAGS bought the land and it now belongs to them. The City has no more input other than they are no longer responsible for the improvements that were part of the incentive deal to BAGS.

• 1 year later...

Site pan and conceptual renderings for Lion Gardens apartments, the redevelopment at the Parliament House site.  

They're looking at just over 300 market rate units in 4-story buildings with surface parking. At a recent community meeting, residents asked that the buildings be stepped down toward the lake to preserve skyline views.  The development would also include a small retail building at the south end of the property.   

61508688_06_08.21LionGardensPPTreduced_Page_05.thumb.png.213a8c1b29f610069fdce67512cb3496.png

548956416_06_08.21LionGardensPPTreduced_Page_06.thumb.png.7f2b609ce9fc371af3c8dbf5f2f20e6f.png

1237050698_06_08.21LionGardensPPTreduced_Page_07.thumb.png.2cb4c0c3393643af1de5a8af41096d37.png

850961826_06_08.21LionGardensPPTreduced_Page_10.thumb.png.54d029e704ccb918b301d13f85c3b369.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

Ugh - bring back the Parliament House please.

It’s typical Orlando boring but if it jumpstarts reuse of some of the really cool Dr. Phillips retail buildings on the east side of 441 (not to mention the old warehouses along Hames and one of the larger deco Publii still intact).

Of course, here in Lake Buddy Mary we’d rather bulldoze and build another WaWa!

1 minute ago, spenser1058 said:

It’s typical Orlando boring but if it jumpstarts reuse of some of the really cool Dr. Phillips retail buildings on the east side of 441 (not to mention the old warehouses along Hames and one of the larger deco Publii still intact).

I'm not convinced it will really jumpstart anything in that section of OBT.  The loss of a renown LGBTQ establishment is greater than the gain of new apartments, IMO.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I'm not convinced it will really jumpstart anything in that section of OBT.  The loss of a renown LGBTQ establishment is greater than the gain of new apartments, IMO.   

I don’t disagree. However, PH had been hanging on by a wing and a prayer for so long with a series of often sketchy owners and deferred maintenance (especially given the high-octane use of the facility) that many of us had expected it for a long time. I also admit that a proposal to do at least something with the property was another surprise - I thought it might sit fallow for years.

Meanwhile, there are some mid century gems across the street which would be amazing for restoration.

I don’t know why we seem to have lost our way so completely when it comes to interest in projects like that - it’s like a complete loss of muscle memory.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I don’t disagree. However, PH had been hanging on by a wing and a prayer for so long with a series of often sketchy owners and deferred maintenance (especially given the high-octane use of the facility) that many of us had expected it for a long time. I also admit that a proposal to do at least something with the property was another surprise - I thought it might sit fallow for years.

Meanwhile, there are some mid century gems across the street which would be amazing for restoration.

I don’t know why we seem to have lost our way so completely when it comes to interest in projects like that - it’s like a complete loss of muscle memory.

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

A bunch of those buildings were demo'd in the last couple years.  I was surprised to see that.

image.png.9e65ad12f7c28c3956de6290ca2b39ea.png

Like this one.   Gone.

Luckily the former Publix is still there.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

If I were looking for a place to rent, I cannot see myself paying market rent to live there... those apartments wouldn't even be on my list TBH lol. That area is still pretty rough, but I do think the apartments will eventually jumpstart a turnaround for that corridor, but it's more of a long game than something immediate. As downtown development spreads westward (consuming Parramore in the process) it makes sense that "cheap" land and proximity to downtown will attract developers. I really hope the Creative Village will spur revitalization similar to what we've seen in SoDo.

I've had some great memories at PH and it definitely provided a safe space for me as I was coming out but as spenser mentioned, at the rate PH was going it was basically on its last leg. Maybe it failed to adapt, was poorly run or maybe times are a-changing. I'm not sure the younger generation had the same attachment to PH as the older gay community did. Pulse took away some of the market share before the attack... it had a younger modern vibe. IMO, PH's saving grace was that it had the ability to host large events which helped keep it relevant. It was definitely unique though, one of the few places that housed several distinct communities under one "roof": bear bar crowd, pool table crowd, swimming pool crowd, sketchy motel crowd, club kid crowd, shirtless jock crowd, drag circuit, T-dance, etc. I don't think we'll see anything like it again in Orlando.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

If I were looking for a place to rent, I cannot see myself paying market rent to live there... those apartments wouldn't even be on my list TBH lol. That area is still pretty rough, but I do think the apartments will eventually jumpstart a turnaround for that corridor, but it's more of a long game than something immediate. As downtown development spreads westward (consuming Parramore in the process) it makes sense that "cheap" land and proximity to downtown will attract developers. I really hope the Creative Village will spur revitalization similar to what we've seen in SoDo.

I've had some great memories at PH and it definitely provided a safe space for me as I was coming out but as spenser mentioned, at the rate PH was going it was basically on its last leg. Maybe it failed to adapt, was poorly run or maybe times are a-changing. I'm not sure the younger generation had the same attachment to PH as the older gay community did. Pulse took away some of the market share before the attack... it had a younger modern vibe. IMO, PH's saving grace was that it had the ability to host large events which helped keep it relevant. It was definitely unique though, one of the few places that housed several distinct communities under one "roof": bear bar crowd, pool table crowd, swimming pool crowd, sketchy motel crowd, club kid crowd, shirtless jock crowd, drag circuit, T-dance, etc. I don't think we'll see anything like it again in Orlando.

I don't think CV's reach will be very far west, especially with the County Health Dept building down that way.  Why would anybody want to be near there?

You're right about PH.  Lots of smaller venues around, but re a larger venue, you would need something like a converted warehouse type thing with a bar attached, or, another hotel that was sold to a redeveloper to create a venue within it and have the hotel/motel as support for other uses.  there's a few places around town that could fit that bill, but I don't think new construction would cater and go that route.

I've got friends that frequent "places" here and in Tampa, like Edgewater Dr, the SODO located bath of a Turkish flavor, and places on the Lois Ave corridor near RayJa.  PH was a good nucleus;  the Bath isn't a venue per se, but go there around lunch time and the parking lot is 75% full with cars parked on the street.  

In the same way that Nude Nite rents a warehouse once a year, there should be something where a warehouse sized space is converted to allow for a venue.  Otherwise, it may just be an organization renting out a hotel and pool deck every so often for "events" they schedule...and that may be it...

5 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

I don't think CV's reach will be very far west, especially with the County Health Dept building down that way.  Why would anybody want to be near there?

You're right about PH.  Lots of smaller venues around, but re a larger venue, you would need something like a converted warehouse type thing with a bar attached, or, another hotel that was sold to a redeveloper to create a venue within it and have the hotel/motel as support for other uses.  there's a few places around town that could fit that bill, but I don't think new construction would cater and go that route.

I've got friends that frequent "places" here and in Tampa, like Edgewater Dr, the SODO located bath of a Turkish flavor, and places on the Lois Ave corridor near RayJa.  PH was a good nucleus;  the Bath isn't a venue per se, but go there around lunch time and the parking lot is 75% full with cars parked on the street.  

In the same way that Nude Nite rents a warehouse once a year, there should be something where a warehouse sized space is converted to allow for a venue.  Otherwise, it may just be an organization renting out a hotel and pool deck every so often for "events" they schedule...and that may be it...

@jrs2, you vixen you! ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Are you missing Friday night happy hour in the Piano Bar before checking out Michael Wanzie’s latest madcap adventure in the Footlights Theatre?

Have late nights just not been the same without a few rounds of Balcony Bingo?

Buck up, you frisky little devils - there’s now a Sims4 version of our very own Parliament House!

https://photos.orlandoweekly.com/sims-4-recreation-of-orlandos-parliament-house-will-make-you-nostalgic-for-woohoo-long-past/?slide=1&7s36fg8dxx771

From The Orlando Weekly

With Bulldozer Buddy and his developer friends plowing right through everything that once made Orlando something other than generic, we may have to go virtual in our own local version of TRON.

• 2 months later...

There were already plans for the city to buy some of the land up for a square for the "sports and entertainment" district as well as to extend the development of Terry Avenue as a main corridor all the way from CV to the new connector/onramp to I4.  It was in the Parramore/CV master plan several years ago. Good to see they are moving into action on it. 

41 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

There were already plans for the city to buy some of the land up for a square for the "sports and entertainment" district as well as to extend the development of Terry Avenue as a main corridor all the way from CV to the new connector/onramp to I4.  It was in the Parramore/CV master plan several years ago. Good to see they are moving into action on it. 

Yes, this ties in very well with the fabled Magic Entertainment complex and is directly across from the new training facility. And as the Terry extension progresses this property will be really important.

Btw, as OBJ describes it, "north of West Central Blvd, south of West Washington Street, east of North Terry Avenue and west of North Division Avenue," Isn't the NW corner of Division and Central where DVX was going to build?

If they ever make a Sports district square, would be pretty cool to have a mural or even like a plaza with a star walk/engraved pavers or even maybe some statues of famous Orlando sports icons.  Shaq, Penny, Nick Anderson, Daryl Armstrong, Kaka, Nani, Marta, Ashlyn Harris, Alex Morgan, Daunte Culpepper, Brandon Marshall, Asante Samuel, Mckenzie Milton, Arnold Palmer, etc. (yah I know I am sure I left a ton out, but just spitballing off the top of my head). 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

If they ever make a Sports district square, would be pretty cool to have a mural or even like a plaza with a star walk/engraved pavers or even maybe some statues of famous Orlando sports icons.  Shaq, Penny, Nick Anderson, Daryl Armstrong, Kaka, Nani, Marta, Ashlyn Harris, Alex Morgan, Daunte Culpepper, Brandon Marshall, Asante Samuel, Mckenzie Milton, Arnold Palmer, etc. (yah I know I am sure I left a ton out, but just spitballing off the top of my head). 

Darryl Dawkins - Chocolate Thundah from the Planet Lovetron!, Don Jonas, Lee Corso. Heck, we can even include the HBC since he coached The Apollos, and Billy Donovan since he was the Magic coach for at least two seconds…

They wanted to do statues of notable Orlando leaders and such in the courtyard of The Plaza, but it got shot down because God forbid it have any actual connection to the community. Maybe we could get Caterpillar to put a bulldozer out there…

Edited by spenser1058

9 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I wish there was a way that the city or developers could see this post. This is an excellent idea and I encourage you to somehow get the word out because I doubt something like this is even remotely on their radar.

On 9/8/2021 at 9:21 PM, dcluley98 said:

Leave out Shaq and add Blake Bortles and this is a great idea. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...