Parramore's Future: Highrise Development or No?

DelGreco

This is what Parramore should look like in the lowrise areas. Scroll down to the end of the page.

Norfolk rowhouse

Wow, like overview of Norfolk. Thanks Jack!

I only flew in to Norfolk on my way to Hampton, so I never realized it was so nice. Something like this would be suitable for Parramore, however, I think it needs to be a bit more LIVELY than Norfolk. Plus, it will take awhile to build that Canal from Daytona to Parramore....not to mention the Port for those Naval Ships! :whistling:

If you ever see Miami Overtown master plan, it is way better than Parramore master plan.

I haven't seen Miami's Overtown Plan.....is there a website link? Does that mean that as a European I should be investing in Miami? No way, Orlando is for me! :wub:

At least I don't have to worry about a Hurricane season wiping out years of hard work. Orlando may see occassional damage from hurricanes but nowhere near as vulnerable as the coastal areas. If I feel like enjoying the beach....I'm willing to drive 30+ minutes to the gulf coast! I think potential companies considering a move to Florida will weigh heavily this factor. Call me an optimist, but this should translate to higher paying jobs coming to Orlando in the future. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Parramore.jpg

It's really great to see some good ideas being tossed around. This town-center theme seems to be pretty popular lately.

Parramore is caught in a maze with no idea how to change and improve the situation. Someone with the courage, vision, and $$$ has to step in and make change happen. The homeless shelters and agencies need to be addressed in a reasonable manner without being able to make everyone happy. I think the City with state and federal support can make this happen and get the ball rolling. Private investment will follow shortly after...if it hasn't already started to happen. It will be painful but in the long run it will benefit everyone in the neighborhood and the City as a whole. Jobs, businesses, foot traffic, low income housing, investors, drug rehab programs,...it will all come together.

I think this Town Center layout would be ideal if that property identified as Public Safety Complex is used to build a new Arena. It would really tie in nicely with the town center and the new development on the other side of I-4 (55 West).....all within walking distance. Do you have any other figures you can share on this initiative? Thanks

The politicians know it. All of us know it. Most of the city knows it....

But nobody wants to admit it.

None of this is going to work until the "undesireables" are moved out. It's not fun to admit, but it's reality.

you are so very correct.

there is no "fixing" Parramore for its current residents/tennants.....there is "fixing" Parramore for the future, which will be much more like what has happened on the East side of downtown.

you are so very correct.

there is no "fixing" Parramore for its current residents/tennants.....there is "fixing" Parramore for the future, which will be much more like what has happened on the East side of downtown.

There is one minor difference with the East side. Parramore is all black and the homes do not have the architectural significance.

• 5 weeks later...

Parramore.jpg

With all the recent rumors and noise about cooperation between Dyer/Crotty and the Hotel Industry.....I am starting to believe that this area, so nicely shown in Jaybee's post, is the catalyst for Parramore's future.

In addition, I am almost convinced that the ideal location for the new Arena is that area identified as Public Safety Complex. There are hardly any residents here that will need displacement. The public safety complex can be moved to where the existing Police Headquarters are...just built it vertically and add a few bays for the fire engines.

Am I the only one who see's this as the only logical solution.....does anyone agree/disagree and why?

With all the recent rumors and noise about cooperation between Dyer/Crotty and the Hotel Industry.....I am starting to believe that this area, so nicely shown in Jaybee's post, is the catalyst for Parramore's future.

In addition, I am almost convinced that the ideal location for the new Arena is that area identified as Public Safety Complex. There are hardly any residents here that will need displacement. The public safety complex can be moved to where the existing Police Headquarters are...just built it vertically and add a few bays for the fire engines.

Am I the only one who see's this as the only logical solution.....does anyone agree/disagree and why?

Don't know about being the only logical solution - but it is one great solution. I really like the location in this scenario, on South Street, close to Church. This is a perfecect natural line of development and activity to extend from what we already have going on (Church Street Station, and soon The Plaza), the potential of the PAC being on South Street across from City Hall, and the Citrus Bowl down a ways further on Church. Perfect location for the making of an entertainment district.

Edited by ryanthegreat

• 2 months later...

I was driving West on Washington through Parramore and noticed a sign near the new Federal Courthouse that said "Luxury Condos Coming Soon." Anyone know anything about this? Is it apart of the redevelopment/gentrification of Parramore? I will see if I can get more info on this.

I really would have thought--especially considering the recent housing price crisis here in Central Florida--that Parramore's redevelopment would cater more to the middle and lower-middle class rather than otherwise. If Dyer wants to truly revitalize downtown, I think he should start attempting to bring the middle-class into Parramore.

Edited by dpalum

I was driving West on Washington through Parramore and noticed a sign near the new Federal Courthouse that said "Luxury Condos Coming Soon." Anyone know anything about this? Is it apart of the redevelopment/gentrification of Parramore? I will see if I can get more info on this.

I really would have thought--especially considering the recent housing price crisis here in Central Florida--that Parramore's redevelopment would cater more to the middle and lower-middle class rather than otherwise. If Dyer wants to truly revitalize downtown, I think he should start attempting to bring the middle-class into Parramore.

I agree.I have said this b/4.In Indianapolis they had the same problem.The city state and feds got together and built 2 low to mid income apts downtown.They both are 45 stories each and really add to the view downtown.Looks to me like that something like that could be built in Parramore there are monies available for these type projects.

IMO Parramore will be exactly that, 70% Middle Class.....15% Low Income.....and 15% Luxury. Mayor Dyer appears to be a strategic thinker, if not a visionary. He is the kind of guy you love to hate, much like Clinton was. They are both alot smarter than most people give them credit for.

I don't think we are seeing any housing crisis.....just a cooldown which is natural. But the cooldown is for the overpriced east downtown (Thorton Park, Baldwin Park, College Park, Eola Hgts9. They will probably go back to the 3-8% annual appreciation. However, Parramore will see a boom with double digit appreciation for the next few years. Parramore makes more sense from a $$$ stanpoint for both investors and developers. It also makes sense for the people because the Parramore residents, even with Comm. Lynum's support, are not able to get out of this vicious cycle of poverty, unemployment, drugs, alcohol, and crime without an infusion of lots of $$$. I don't think it is gentrification; more like Parramore revival. The decent people need opportunities for rehab, education, and employment. If the area cleans up, the ex-Parramore residents that we able to move to Washington Shores and other suburban areas will come back. They will be part of the diverse middle class that will define the Parramore of tomorrow.

Ok, time to remove the philosopher hat....back to work! :yahoo:

I don't think we are seeing any housing crisis.....just a cooldown which is natural. But the cooldown is for the overpriced east downtown (Thorton Park, Baldwin Park, College Park, Eola Hgts9. They will probably go back to the 3-8% annual appreciation. However, Parramore will see a boom with double digit appreciation for the next few years. Parramore makes more sense from a $$$ stanpoint for both investors and developers. It also makes sense for the people because the Parramore residents, even with Comm. Lynum's support, are not able to get out of this vicious cycle of poverty, unemployment, drugs, alcohol, and crime without an infusion of lots of $$$. I don't think it is gentrification; more like Parramore revival. The decent people need opportunities for rehab, education, and employment. If the area cleans up, the ex-Parramore residents that we able to move to Washington Shores and other suburban areas will come back. They will be part of the diverse middle class that will define the Parramore of tomorrow.

Well, I guess what I meant by "housing crisis" is the overabundance of homes/townhomes/condos currently on the market that are beyond the budget of our middle-class residents. Maybe crisis is an inaccurate description. I guess what would be nice to see in Parramore would be an urban neighborhood along the lines of Eola Heights that is priced more along the lines of North Pine Hills (circa North Ave). I guess my only hope is that this neighborhood is--in the words of Dyer--revitalized, but maintains its historical and cultural heritage. And I guess that is what Dyer plans to do. Right?

IMO Parramore will be exactly that, 70% Middle Class.....15% Low Income.....and 15% Luxury. Mayor Dyer appears to be a strategic thinker, if not a visionary. He is the kind of guy you love to hate, much like Clinton was. They are both alot smarter than most people give them credit for.

Ok, time to remove the philosopher hat....back to work! :yahoo:

I hoping for gentrification.

I hoping for gentrification.

Alot of people share your sentiments. However, we don't have to be so extreme. This community needs everyones support to make it work, because the other more affluent neighborhoods are affected by its progress.

It has the potential to be an ethnically and economically diverse community. It appears the City has allowed it to deteriorate to the point where it is now ripe for investors/developers. $$$ talks! But we need to be sensitive and give respect to the good people in the neighborhood that deserve it.

Thank God for the......Sports/Event Arena and PAC! Go Magic!!! Forza Italia!!! (We are the Champions!)

There is one minor difference with the East side. Parramore is all black and the homes do not have the architectural significance.

These buildings do have architectural significance. In fact, if you've ever gotten out of your car and done a walking tour of Parramore, you would find some of Orlando's only examples of Queen Anne and late Victorian Architecture.

I have done the walk plenty of times and still think that most of the homes need to be razed because they are irreparable, or not significant.

To me, gentrification is not a dirty word. The City did not allow it to deterioarte, landowners did. If they had a zero tolerence policy to begin with, Parramore would not be where it is today. Parramore's population is significantly lower then is was in the 60's. The population could triple without having one resident displaced. It does have the potential to be one of the better neighborhoods in the City if everything works out but that could be a long way off.

The City did not allow it to deterioarte, landowners did. If they had a zero tolerence policy to begin with, Parramore would not be where it is today.

The City has just recently decided to step up code enforcement in the area. They could have been forcing landowners to fix the homes (albeit this does take participation by the renters).

Can the city rezone an area once there are developments on it?

I ask this, because it would be nice to have some of the warehouses moved out of that neighborhood.