Military Highway Corridor

skylinefan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

City looking at comprehensive plan for Military Highway Corridor. Does this mean that the city is looking at more dense infill development?

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/MilitaryHighwayPlan.asp

Well today i got a email back from HRT about the next possible phase of the LR and they say they are looking at either going down Hampton Blvd to ODU to Naval Base or they are looking at going down Military Hwy to the Naval Base. Nothing is for sure but she said that ODU was really excitied about the LR and couldn't wait and the Naval Base was really pushing for it too. So we will see but she said no study has actually been done yet. I guess they want to at least start the starter rail first and then work on that.

Well today i got a email back from HRT about the next possible phase of the LR and they say they are looking at either going down Hampton Blvd to ODU to Naval Base or they are looking at going down Military Hwy to the Naval Base. Nothing is for sure but she said that ODU was really excitied about the LR and couldn't wait and the Naval Base was really pushing for it too. So we will see but she said no study has actually been done yet. I guess they want to at least start the starter rail first and then work on that.

Doesn't Military Highway end at Little Creek? How would they get to the naval base from there? Seems they would have to cut through a lot of Neighborhoods to get to the gate.

I imagine they would go down Little Creek to Hampton Blvd

Can't really say that I like that option... not enough destinations up Little Creek IMO... it would probably make more sense if the city goes through with the Wards corner redevelopment... even still, Hampton Blvd trumps Military highway because of ODU, and NOB.

Can't really say that I like that option... not enough destinations up Little Creek IMO... it would probably make more sense if the city goes through with the Wards corner redevelopment... even still, Hampton Blvd trumps Military highway because of ODU, and NOB.

It would go through the Wards Corner and Titus town. It would really hit some heavy traffic areas and still catch the base and possibly ODU.

It would go through the Wards Corner and Titus town. It would really hit some heavy traffic areas and still catch the base and possibly ODU.

What do you think about a line from Little Creek @ Hampton Blvd... all the way down Little Creek to E.Ocean View Blvd/Shore Drive... which would connect to another line that stretches down E. Ocean View Blvd all the way to Willoughby???

What do you think about a line from Little Creek @ Hampton Blvd... all the way down Little Creek to E.Ocean View Blvd/Shore Drive... which would connect to another line that stretches down E. Ocean View Blvd all the way to Willoughby???

Well I think that they want to connect to the line coming from DT. That way people can come from the base to dt. I think the military hwy corridor is important for the LR to be successful to. I wish it would eventually come down Chesapeake Blvd. so i can ride it!

I think that would be a consideration after the line mentioned above. I think they will need it with all the projects in OV coming up.

• 5 months later...

I think they should change the image of Military Highway. Tear down business around the airport and create a vibrant area around it. The first greeting is thrift stores and below-average stores and gas stations. :sick:

I think they should study the Janaf corridor. There's way too much commercial development around the area, and too much parking. Perhaps LR from the starter line to the airport can solve this problem. That way the travelers won't have much of a problem traveling from the airport to downtown Norfolk, most of the passengers in Norfolk's airport usually like to travel to downtown Norfolk or Virginia Beach.

[/quote

I continue to envision Janaf as a towncenter type development. I would like to see Janaf as a mix used type development bringing in not only retail but also residences. This would totally change the character of the Military Highway Corridor. I would like to see taller building built there.

I think that we have too many Town Centers sprouting up now. I think they could make it more urban though. It would be cool for it to become a TC but how would you include the Walmart and Janaf?

Maybe Walmart can be refashioned as one of those urban supercenters (not sure if that is what they are called). I can easily see that large parking lot facing Va. Beach Blvd being replaced by mixed use buildings maybe no larger than mid rises. The front of Janaf already looks like it belongs on Main St. All that is needed is buildings on the other side of the road that runs through the parking lot and viola you have a town center. I would also love to see the city look at the possibility of building highrise buildings on the Military Circle property. Get rid of the vast parking lots and replace them with highrise buildings and parking garages. I believe this would not only continue Military Highways economic dominance, but could possibly even enhance it.

• 2 months later...

The city cannot 'spot zone' and change the zoning of one parcel to another. If the parcel is already zoned commercial, they may change the zoning within the commercial scales C-1, C-2, B-12 etc. , but the flea market will stay until a buyer makes a lucrative enough offer to the landowner. Unless the city decides to put something in there that serves a 'public good', the market wont be forced out. It would be a similar situation where the city tried to buy the garage in ghent I believe to expand the sara lee factory, or coke factory ( i can't remember ). The business owner still has his property until he is willing to sell.

The city cannot 'spot zone' and change the zoning of one parcel to another. If the parcel is already zoned commercial, they may change the zoning within the commercial scales C-1, C-2, B-12 etc. , but the flea market will stay until a buyer makes a lucrative enough offer to the landowner. Unless the city decides to put something in there that serves a 'public good', the market wont be forced out. It would be a similar situation where the city tried to buy the garage in ghent I believe to expand the sara lee factory, or coke factory ( i can't remember ). The business owner still has his property until he is willing to sell.

That was the junk yard behind the coke distr. plant on Monticello. They were trying to take the lot for parking space for the coke plant

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

NORFOLK - The booming North Military Highway commercial corridor near Janaf Shopping Center will soon get two new hotels.

The City Council approved a rezoning Tuesday that paves the way for the $25 million project. It will feature two five-story hotels with 120 rooms each and a 10,000-square-foot office building or restaurant along Lowery Road.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...&ran=201637

NORFOLK - The booming North Military Highway commercial corridor near Janaf Shopping Center will soon get two new hotels.

The City Council approved a rezoning Tuesday that paves the way for the $25 million project. It will feature two five-story hotels with 120 rooms each and a 10,000-square-foot office building or restaurant along Lowery Road.

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?...&ran=201637

• 4 months later...

I think that the city doesn't understand the potential of the Military Highway corridor. First of all, it has a strong demand for retail. Second, it is in close proximity to the airport. Third, it has alot of traffic with not just Norfolk residents, but those from Va Beach, Chesapeake, etc. Finally, this corridor is what tourists from other areas will see when leaving the airport and it doesn't give off a good impression north of Robin Hood Road. They also should improve/widen roads, improve infrastructure, lighting, retail selection, etc and make the corridor look attractive. It is full of run down business north of Robin Hood Road and it is an eyesore for me everytime I drive down there. I would be glad to see the flea market moved to a location that isn't so highly visible to tourists. It looks cheap, tacky, and shouldn't be on that corridor. They also should widen the road in front of Farm Fresh and Target from that point towards north because it can be dangerous trying to move over two lanes advoiding getting hit by another car. Also, alot of retail should be improved so it could compete with other popular areas like Greenbrier, Lynnhaven, etc. Its good to live in Norfolk and have stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Target, Wal-Mart that are nearby and not have to go to Va Beach for that.

I think its fine outside of the traffic. I say run LR down the right hand side on elevated tracks...........

I would actually visit that part of town if they did that...I do not come down that way simply because I can not stand the traffic there........That could also connect LR from the airport to the starter line. There is a dormant line right next to the airport, but it would take you out the way in terms of business.

Archived