Columbia Place Mall

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a Nordstrom :) Talk about wishful thinking...

I can't think of any retailers that'll occupy the JCP space right now. From visiting Carolina Place in Charlotte, I think Hect's would be a good fit for the space, but I don't see that happening.

I can't think of any department store chain that would be willing to occupy the JCP space right now. With Rich's, Sears, and Dillard, there's not much of a market for anything else.

Boscov's looks like a good fit, but it reminds me of Sears.

How about a Nordstrom :) Talk about wishful thinking...

I can't think of any retailers that'll occupy the JCP space right now. From visiting Carolina Place in Charlotte, I think Hect's would be a good fit for the space, but I don't see that happening.

I can't think of any department store chain that would be willing to occupy the JCP space right now. With Rich's, Sears, and Dillard, there's not much of a market for anything else.

Boscov's looks like a good fit, but it reminds me of Sears.

Um where have u been? lol....Rich's was bought out by Macy's over a year ago, and Hecht's is becoming extinct too because Macy's is buying them out also.....

Um where have u been? lol....Rich's was bought out by Macy's over a year ago, and Hecht's is becoming extinct too because Macy's is buying them out also.....

I haven't been to Columbia Place in about 2 years, and I visit Columbia 7-10 times a year on average. I wasn't aware that Rich's was bought by Macy's :P

I didn't know that about Hecht's either. I think i'm gonna go to Columbia Place this weekend and see how things are shaping up.

And having Columbia Place listed on deadmalls.com probably doesn't help; professionals in commercial real estate do read that site (and might think twice about investing in a property after laughing their heads off about it).

I read the info they have on deadmalls.com, but I don't see that mall dying anytime soon, at least for another 10 years.

If that entire area builds up its retail sector again, it surely won't have a problem surviving. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Best Buy pulls the trigger and moves up Two Notch, and the old CC/Value City/OMax shopping center has already gone by the wayside anyway.

If they change their image to strictly an "urban" mall, i'm sure they won't have a problem surviving, for now. Leave the upscale shopping experiences to Sandhill and Columbiana Centre.

or...

If they were to bring in an entirely new anchor store to Columbia Place, that isn't already in Columbia, I think that would bring some new flavor to the old JCP spot.

I hope the mall doesn't just go down the drain. It's the only 2 level mall in the city with a great location with tons of traffic.

:P Now that I think about it, they really don't need another anchor store at Columbia Place, because there are already too many anchor stores in Columbia. With roughly 120k people in the city limits, there's no need for so many anchors, especially when hardly any are at capacity for shopping.

Belk's at Dutch Square

Belk's at Columbiana

Belk coming soon to the Village

Dillards at Columbia Place

Dillard's at Columbiana

Sears at Columbia Place

Sears at Columbiana

JCP at the Village

Macy's at Columbia Place

Parisian at Richland Mall

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many anchor stores for a metro our size. I'm not sure what they should do with the JCP space, but if it's another anchor, it shouldn't be one already listed above. If I had a couple of million to play around with, i'd invest in an urban anchor store that would feature enough urban brands to pull all the 15-28 crowd right on in. Girbaud, Roca Wear, Ecko, etc. It could work :P

or...

Let's close Phoenix again, and turn JCP into an Imax. Now that's a great idea :D All BS aside, I think tha would really do big things for Columbia Place. Columbia doesn't have an Imax yet, so why not beat Sandhill to the punch?

:P Now that I think about it, they really don't need another anchor store at Columbia Place, because there are already too many anchor stores in Columbia. With roughly 120k people in the city limits, there's no need for so many anchors, especially when hardly any are at capacity for shopping.

Belk's at Dutch Square

Belk's at Columbiana

Belk coming soon to the Village

Dillards at Columbia Place

Dillard's at Columbiana

Sears at Columbia Place

Sears at Columbiana

JCP at the Village

Macy's at Columbia Place

Parisian at Richland Mall

This is waaaaaaaaaaaaay too many anchor stores for a metro our size. I'm not sure what they should do with the JCP space, but if it's another anchor, it shouldn't be one already listed above. If I had a couple of million to play around with, i'd invest in an urban anchor store that would feature enough urban brands to pull all the 15-28 crowd right on in. Girbaud, Roca Wear, Ecko, etc. It could work :P

or...

Let's close Phoenix again, and turn JCP into an Imax. Now that's a great idea :D All BS aside, I think tha would really do big things for Columbia Place. Columbia doesn't have an Imax yet, so why not beat Sandhill to the punch?

Two things, Village @ Sandhill already has a theatre, and You forgot the Sears on Garners Ferry Rd. and I doubt that Columbia Place would get an Imax....doesnt sound realistic, and that would cause even more crime than Columbia place already has....

I used to be somewhat into Ecko, but I prefer Akademics and Phat Farm these days. I liked RP55 when the label was hot; they just sorta fell off for no apparent reason.

***Officially OT, For now***

I wear some Ecko and RocaWear, but there's nothing like my Shuttle Girbaud Jeans.

***Back to topic at hand***

Columbia Place should really take up the urban mall image. Urban fads and fashion will always be around. When the market changes, you change with it, and consumer will continue to shop with you. This is a problem that some anchor stores have. It's been the same crap for 20 years seems like.

It was already bad enough that the mall looked like it was stuck in the 70's for all those years. It finally got that much needed make over, and now all it needs it to identify itself. Those cheesy commericals they had a few years ago. Sing with me if you remember the jingle: "It's a great shopping place!" doesn't fit the demographic, especially in that area.

One thing that escapes me is that if Columbiana and Village is supposed to be so "Upscale" compared to Columbia Place, then why are they missing some of the key upscale stores? Hell we even have a Coach Store in the Upstate at Prime Outlets!

I always thought a Coach store would make a great addition to Columbiana Centre, even with the anchors selling coach apparel.

Hey Guys

Here's an update on Columbia Place. It has not given in to becoming an urban mall despite a few temporary chains that have made a temporary home at Columbia Place.

2005 was a good year for Columbia Place despite area losses Columbia Place gained the following

Charlotte Russe - 1st area columbia store.

Ashley Stewart - nearest location Bush River Road

Charcoal - First South Carolina area location

Yo Taco - nice looking Mexican Restaurant for the food court

Man Alive - A Division of Finish Line

SC Place - Duplicate exists at Columbiana.

Just to let you know. Limited Brands leases were up on January 31, 2006 so this must be a positive thing for Columbia Place. This could have meant the exit of The Limited, Bath & Body Works, Victoria's Secret and Express. Instead remodeling will begin soon on some of those stores and even Dillards plans to do some work on their store.

I talked to the SC Place people and they mentioned that when the mall was owned by prior owners that Columbia Place was not on the list for them. Since the renovation things have changed for the better. The only major losses to Columbia Place can be gains for the space limited Columbia market.

Also Bill Robbins, CBL Senior Leasing Rep from Chattanooga has found a home in Columbia, South Carolina to help lease Columbia Place. What better can you have than someone that is now living on the mall that can make sure deals don't pass him by to other areas. Before this leasing reps were 5 hours away in Chattanooga or even worst when owned by Richard E Jacobs Group, they did all the leasing from Cleveland, Ohio. Guys call the stores you want there and tell them to come to Columbia Place. I'll have another update soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Here's an update on Columbia Place. It has not given in to becoming an urban mall despite a few temporary chains that have made a temporary home at Columbia Place.

2005 was a good year for Columbia Place despite area losses Columbia Place gained the following

Charlotte Russe - 1st area columbia store.

Ashley Stewart - nearest location Bush River Road

Charcoal - First South Carolina area location

Yo Taco - nice looking Mexican Restaurant for the food court

Man Alive - A Division of Finish Line

SC Place - Duplicate exists at Columbiana.

Just to let you know. Limited Brands leases were up on January 31, 2006 so this must be a positive thing for Columbia Place. This could have meant the exit of The Limited, Bath & Body Works, Victoria's Secret and Express. Instead remodeling will begin soon on some of those stores and even Dillards plans to do some work on their store.

I talked to the SC Place people and they mentioned that when the mall was owned by prior owners that Columbia Place was not on the list for them. Since the renovation things have changed for the better. The only major losses to Columbia Place can be gains for the space limited Columbia market.

Also Bill Robbins, CBL Senior Leasing Rep from Chattanooga has found a home in Columbia, South Carolina to help lease Columbia Place. What better can you have than someone that is now living on the mall that can make sure deals don't pass him by to other areas. Before this leasing reps were 5 hours away in Chattanooga or even worst when owned by Richard E Jacobs Group, they did all the leasing from Cleveland, Ohio. Guys call the stores you want there and tell them to come to Columbia Place. I'll have another update soon.

sounds good. thanks for the update

It's time I respond to the responses that Columbia Place should take on an urban image. I don't think so.

Retail has always viewed the black customer as one that wants to wear Hip-hop clothing, jewelry and shoes. Columbia is a large black market, but not large enough to determine that all black people do is wear urban. Retail teaches consumers what they want. Only one such mall exists that is in a large black area that doesn't treat blacks second class (Mall at Stonecrest ATL). I'm a black consumer and that's the reason I feel that the media/others are wrong on the path Columbia Place should take. I don't wear baggy clothes or jewelry and I'm not one in a million. Many of the people visit Columbia Place and have been forced to choose urban based on selection. In prior years leasing agents have taken a new stance and said just because I have a bump on my nose doesn't make me ugly. The primary market of Columbia Place covers many upper income areas. With Columbia Place having a successful Dillards and the area's only Macy's this gives it a chance to draw opportunity.

When O'Charley's pulled out and Don Pablo's went empty on the front of the mall speculation once again began that they would fill it with a club or mom and pop restaurant offering cheap Chinese Food or low end Mexican food. It was even said it would remain empty because Columbia Place was dying back then. WRONG....CBL looks further than the neighborhood behind the mall (all malls have a neighborhood they aren't proud of) it may have taken a year, but they landed Sticky Fingers and Charleston Crab House. The credits of the recent first Charlotte Russe to Columbia and in Columbia Place was forgotten as well. Stop saying what won't come and lets get some new ideas out.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE FROM THE COLUMBIA PLACE WATCHER

Many leases are up for renewel at Columbia Place and the mall management is confident that they will be renewed. Here's an update on Columbia Place.

Steak Escape has closed in the Food Court, but it's not surprising because management as well as ownership has not been efficient since in years. No word on a replacement, but my speculation is that another franchise owner will take over where left off.

Sam Goody is down to it's last 9 days in the mall. Sam Goody has closed over 300 stores nationwide in an effort to restructure and cut it's losses.

Lane Bryant remodeled their Columbia Place store in 2002, but is expected to leave to open in the Village At Sandhill. This puts Lane Bryant in focus with it's new store types that typically target shopping centers and villages. Lane Bryant left Columbiana Centre a couple of years ago.

JCPenney space is now in the malls court. If you didn't already know, Columbia Place's department stores were all owned by each tenant. Columbia Place now has possession of the JCPenney space that should speed up the process. Columbia Place is not going to lease the building but sale it to another tenant.

There are numerous pending leases that are currently out for signature including the Lane Bryant and Sam Goody spaces, but all tenants are waiting for the sale of the JCPenney space before any decide to sign. From what I hear the space could be filled within the next 60 days. I'll be watching and keeping you posted. It's rumored that JCPenney's space cost 2 million.

I love lifestyle centers as well, but the enclosed mall isn't dead yet. There are so many out there that it's time to redevelop the ones already in existance. CBL, General Growth, Simon and Westfield have been very good and in many times successful at changing the image of malls. The Villlage Of Sandhill will have many stores to feature, but I'll continue to write for Columbia Place. There are still many good years to come out there.

Very true. Lifesytle centers are great but I think they're nothing more than souped up plaza's.