Columbia Place Mall

I drove to Columbia Place a while back to add to the list of malls I've been to, before JC Penney closed, and after driving up to the mall and seeing the environs and the people in the parking lot, I was unwilling to even get out of my car.

Looks like I made the right choice- kept on driving. Dead Richland Mall seemed a lot better, and Dutch Square didn't seem unsafe, even though it was definitely a B or C grade mall.

I take it that Columbiana is Columbia's only A-grade mall?

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^You could probably throw the Village in there too.

Fair point. At least Columbia has tons of enclosed malls- Greenville has now only one. Lots of opportunity.

What was downtown Columbia like while it still had department stores? Shady, with low-end stores and intimidating people, or respectable, with nice stores that the Mercedes-driving crowd would shop in?

Edited by mallguy

Fair point. At least Columbia has tons of enclosed malls- Greenville has now only one. Lots of opportunity.

What was downtown Columbia like while it still had department stores? Shady, with low-end stores and intimidating people, or respectable, with nice stores that the Mercedes-driving crowd would shop in?

When I was a child, in the early to mid 60s, downtown was the only place to shop, except for the newly built Richland Mall. There were several departments stores: Belks, Davidsons, Haltiwangers, Louries, Berrys on Main, Tapps. There were several dime stores, shoe stores, jewelry stores, movie theaters, newsstands, drug stores, etc. Perfectly respectable. My friends and I, at 9 years old, rode the bus downtown regularly to go to the movies by ourselves. Nothing remotely scary ever happened to us, so I guess it was pretty safe.

As for the Mercedes-driving crowd... LOL I don't remember seeing very many of those in Columbia back then. The "rich people" back then mostly drove Cadillacs or Lincolns, as I recall.

You know, most people don't drive Mercedes in South Carolina; most people are hardworking middle-class individuals who work paycheck to paycheck trying to make ends meet. I frankly don't want Columbia to exclusively appeal to the "mercedes-driving" set, I'd rather it appeal to a large variety of people where the have-nots are just as comfortable living here as the haves. Columbia Place has a decidedly more urban feel than Columbiana or VAS. It doesn't make it better or worse, it just makes it different. I think many of us can read between the lines of some of the earlier posts so I will leave it at that. I happen to be a middle class urban professional and I feel perfectly safe at Columbia Place.

Many could have said Columbia Place was taking the same route as Eastland Mall in Charlotte, but Limited Brands leases were also up at Columbia Place December 31, 2006. Unlike Eastland they all were renewed. That includes The Limited, Express, Express Men, Bath and Body Works and Victoria's Secret.

Just because a shopper is of brown skin doesn't mean the mall is unsafe or unfit or less than a grade A mall. We all know that Columbiana is dominant and VAS is new, but Columbia Place has held on for 30 years coming this August. Many malls of that age have either been demolished, mix used, or on their last leg. It says alot that big players are still considering Columbia Place as a home and realizing that VAS is another market from Columbia Place. It's a positive thing knowing that we're growing and getting to the point that there's more than one retail mecca. It's also good to know that we're advancing to the point that one area doesn't have to completely die for another to thrive.

Columbia Place will open Steve & Barrys and Burlington Coat Factory this year, not as anchor replacements, but as large specialty stores. Dillard's, Old Navy, Macy's and Sears have no plans to leave or join another mall. The highest grossing Charlotte Russe in the state is located on the upper level at center court.

Lubi will open an additional store to their Columbiana Centre store somewhere in the Northeast this year. Sunglass Hut opened a new store in Macys. Sunglasses Unlimited will open a store at Columbia Place soon. These are all signs of a healthy market.

Edited by xyhamiltonboi

This mall looks like it's going for a turn for the worse. I usually shop at Columbiana, but I decided to explore the Two Notch corridor since I never go out that way. I went to the Columbia Place mall and noticed the dinky stores surfacing. Some guy approached me for money which was unsettling. The kiosk people were in my face in desperation. There was no one there for a Sunday afternoon. I also noticed group of young teenager with gang colors hanging out. I found a nice shirt at Express, and I decided I was ready to leave by then. The atmosphere with all of the thugs was uncomfortable. I had a group of young teenagers (truthfully thugs) mutter cigar towards me. I guess they never see people dressed in nice outfits at that mall and assume I'm a homosexual. I was enraged at that point and left. I guess you have to wear baggy shirts and pants around my knees to avoid harrassment!!!!!

This mall needs to renovate, fire their current marketing team, and hire a more effective security force. It's ridiculous! They lost my future business.

While I am by far not a thug, or gang member, I am slightly offended by some of your comments. And while I am aware that this is SIMPLY your opinion, I think that is a bit extreme.

The fact that it was a Sunday afternoon I feel relates to the number of people that you found inhabititing Columbia Place. This is still the south. :whistling: For many Sunday is a time for worship and family interaction. If it is more people you wish to see try a Friday or Saturday. In my rescent visits I have found the mall to have a rather large number of shoppers. Clearly if there was a problem getting patrons in, it would look more like Richland Fashion Mall or Dutch Square. <_<

I too have experienced the encounters in the parking area of Columbia Place, and it did make me slightly uneasy. I think better security and scrutiny of parking lot activities could be useful. :thumbsup:

Finally...I don't wear baggy jeans and over sized shirts, I shop at express (including the one in Columbia Place) and I haven't been refered to as a cigar (whatever that maybe). As you call these young teenagers thugs, I am interested in what your definition of the word is? I'd imagine that those you termed thugs probably make up the student population of the local public schools, i.e. young people with the potential to be educated and succesful additions to the community. I charge you to make their lives better rather than condeming their appearance while they walk the local shopping venue. As for your future business, my guess, as with all groups of young people, is that the youths you encountered would contribute more to the financial stabilty of Columbia Place than your would be future business. -_-

JUST MY OPINION THOUGH!

This mall looks like it's going for a turn for the worse. I usually shop at Columbiana, but I decided to explore the Two Notch corridor since I never go out that way. I went to the Columbia Place mall and noticed the dinky stores surfacing. Some guy approached me for money which was unsettling. The kiosk people were in my face in desperation. There was no one there for a Sunday afternoon. I also noticed group of young teenager with gang colors hanging out. I found a nice shirt at Express, and I decided I was ready to leave by then. The atmosphere with all of the thugs was uncomfortable. I had a group of young teenagers (truthfully thugs) mutter cigar towards me. I guess they never see people dressed in nice outfits at that mall and assume I'm a homosexual. I was enraged at that point and left. I guess you have to wear baggy shirts and pants around my knees to avoid harrassment!!!!!

This mall needs to renovate, fire their current marketing team, and hire a more effective security force. It's ridiculous! They lost my future business.

You are wrong in so many ways it's not even funny...So if a bunch of "other" teenagers were all dressed matching in their ambecromie and fitch or whatever you call it (I do not buy from that kind of market) and were in a group standing around, would they be thugs too?

And what's up with nice outfits...People are different wherever you go and different people dont shop at Express or the Limited or Gap...I wear Ecko, Enyce, PJ Mark, Vibe Jeans, Sean Jean, Akademiks or whatever for my age group. Those are clothes that they DO NOT sell at Columbiana. Sorry...

Edited by sonofaque86

Just because a shopper is of brown skin doesn't mean the mall is unsafe or unfit or less than a grade A mall.
I agree with you 100%.

I've seen this perception that "if a lot of brown-skinned shoppers shop here, the place is going downhill" over and over again and it really bothers me. Sometimes it's overt, sometimes it's said in coded language, but the effect is still the same.

The point behind a shopping center is to serve its customers with the type of merchandise they want to buy. A shopping center that can't do that can't and won't last long. If a shopping center is in a working-class black and brown neighborhood in South Carolina, which has historically had a high minority population, it's going to have more minorities shopping there and the stores will (hopefully) reflect what they're willing to buy. That doesn't make it a bad mall, or as mall that's "turned;" it's a reflection of the marketplace.

Further, just because a person is dressed in a certain way doesn't define their character. Clothes say some things about the wearer, but overall, what they say and what they do are more reflective of who they are than what's on their backs. People will always judge, but that doesn't make their judgement right or true if they base it off appearances.

You are wrong in so many ways it's not even funny...So if a bunch of "other" teenagers were all dressed matching in their ambecromie and fitch or whatever you call it (I do not buy from that kind of market) and were in a group standing around, would they be thugs too?

And what's up with nice outfits...People are different wherever you go and different people dont shop at Express or the Limited or Gap...I wear Ecko, Enyce, PJ Mark, Vibe Jeans, Sean Jean, Akademiks or whatever for my age group. Those are clothes that they DO NOT sell at Columbiana. Sorry...

It's interesting to see how people are putting words in my mouth. I was angry for the patrons that blatantly yelled out that I was a homosexual in insulting slang..(said the F word), and they were young teenagers wearing gang colors (I know what gang colors are because I've researched this material for my job). For one, Did I EVER say that these patrons were of brown skin? No. I NEVER SAID THAT! Actually, some of the people in that group for white. So do not accuse me of being racist because I am far from ever being racist. I only commented on the cycle that the mall has fallen into. The mall looked very similar to the state that Eastland Mall in Charlotte experienced at it's earlier decline. Two: I feel that everyone just decided to freak out and assume that I meant something racist to have something to argue about. Three: Wouldn't you be angry if multiple people harassed you while you were shopping??? How would you like it if I yelled a very offensive obscenity at you? I bet you wouldn't like it huh?

Now everyone calm down and actually read my post. I only commented on my first perception of the mall, and the negative experience that occured during it.

Thank you and have a lovely day

Moving on to closely what Columbia Place is working with

When complete at the end of the year Columbia Place will feature Dillard's, Macy's, Old Navy, Sears and over 100 stores and restaurants with Burlington Coat Factory and Steve and Barry's opening this year.

I think the anchor mix will be excellent in putting a lot back into Columbia Place.

Burlington Coat Factory and Steve and Barry's won't help brand the mall, but the discounters pull in shoppers of all income levels.

Sears has remade itself with a newer concept, closer to Kohl's.

Dillard's adds fashion.

Macy's adds fashion along with being exclusive within 100 miles

Old Navy's Columbia Place store is the largest in South Carolina

Edited by xyhamiltonboi

It's interesting to see how people are putting words in my mouth. I was angry for the patrons that blatantly yelled out that I was a homosexual in insulting slang..(said the F word), and they were young teenagers wearing gang colors (I know what gang colors are because I've researched this material for my job). For one, Did I EVER say that these patrons were of brown skin? No. I NEVER SAID THAT! Actually, some of the people in that group for white. So do not accuse me of being racist because I am far from ever being racist. I only commented on the cycle that the mall has fallen into. The mall looked very similar to the state that Eastland Mall in Charlotte experienced at it's earlier decline. Two: I feel that everyone just decided to freak out and assume that I meant something racist to have something to argue about. Three: Wouldn't you be angry if multiple people harassed you while you were shopping??? How would you like it if I yelled a very offensive obscenity at you? I bet you wouldn't like it huh?

Now everyone calm down and actually read my post. I only commented on my first perception of the mall, and the negative experience that occured during it.

Thank you and have a lovely day

Wow, I've never had an experience like that in Columbia and I'm about the most out gay person in the state. I'm sorry to hear that happened; I'd have been ready to beat the crap out of them. :angry: (can I say that on here?)

Edited by waccamatt

Lets just pull this back to the topci at hand. Everyone has different experiences, so it sucks that some people have bad ones that leave this type of image. Columbia Place does have some image problems that it needs to work through, but the quality of its stores is still pretty high from my experience. Macy's, Old Navy, etc, are all stores that I would go to, infact I frequented that Old Navy when I lived in Columbia.

I don't have anything to add about the stores at Columbia Place as I was not inclined to get out of my car when I visited the mall in 2005 given the "youths" in the parking lot, and as neither Steve & Barry's nor Burlington Coat Factory is appealing to me.

• 2 months later...

Steve & Barry's Opens Friday, July 27, 2007

Unlike the traditional Steve & Barry's, this location will have a larger focus on lifestyle apparel that has made stores like Old Navy, American Eagle and Aeropostale popular. Unlike the traditional flooring, this store will have cherry wood and have a feel of what the future of Steve & Barry's will hold. The store opens at 10am on the 25th.

Steve & Barry

Edited by xyhamiltonboi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This article proves promising for Columbia Place Mall. http://www.thestate.com/business/story/263674.html

The re-opening of the movie theatre is the most exciting. Movies always seem to draw a constant stream of people to an area. I like that there are already four independent stores opened or opening in Columbia Place Mall. This mall will probably be our eclectic mall in a couple years. Seems to be a little more funky than it used to be. I kind of like it. Your thoughts?

This article proves promising for Columbia Place Mall. http://www.thestate.com/business/story/263674.html

The re-opening of the movie theatre is the most exciting. Movies always seem to draw a constant stream of people to an area. I like that there are already four independent stores opened or opening in Columbia Place Mall. This mall will probably be our eclectic mall in a couple years. Seems to be a little more funky than it used to be. I kind of like it. Your thoughts?

Ms. Fulton is a great writer and over time has written some very good articles on Columbia Place. However, with every writer, they don't know exactly what is a temporary store or permanent store. Columbia Place's 2007 energy can be felt if you walked the hallways the last few days. The leasing team spent a good portion of the year renewing leases of existing national tenants such as Express, Express Men, The Limited, Victoria's Secret and Bath & Body Works while resolving speculation that Columbia Place was in decline with openings of Steve & Barry's and Burlington Coat Factory.

What people don't realize is when an anchor goes dark it's like cutting off circulation of a body part. It's very difficult for retailers to keep traffic flowing in their wing if the hallway leads to an empty anchor. You can see this type of suffering nationwide. If not dealt with occupancy declines at a rate so fast that the developer begins cutting deals on mass amounts of space to save face. This doesn't send a good signal to other national players and before you know it, not only is the anchor space not filled, but the mall itself continues to sink into dispair.

As Ms. Fulton said 2007 was a pivotal year for Columbia Place by resolving in my opinion 2 of 5 of issues that could have created more issues. The empty JCPenney space sent a message of decline to all stores that depended on the traffic of a value tenant that at times opened at 8am with doorbusters. Problem solved with Steve & Barry's and Burlington Coat Factory On the mall campus spaces were vacant from the former Toys R Us, Sticky Fingers and Phoenix Theatres and this was partially solved by the not only reopening of the theatre but transition to Stadium Seating.

The last of the work begins with the tenant mix that was placed on hold while a JCPenney replacement was sought. 2008 will be a better year as the mall studys numerous leases to determine what fits at Columbia Place and what should have left years ago. With a new anchor will also bring renewed interest from national tenants about coming to the mall. I was in The Briar Patch yesterday and they were saying Christmas had been good, but they were exiting Columbia Place because there company is moving focus away from mall stores. Here's the part that will only make us hopeful. The Briar Patch's lease isn't up, but Columbia Place is allowing them to exit because someone already wants their space. We both know that a national tenant would not lose favor to a local store.

Happy Holidays to everyone