Columbia Place Mall

This mall is NOT AT ALL in the same league as Eastland in Charlotte. If I lived in Columbia I wouldn't shop there as my primary mall but the mall is fine; it has a lot more going on than Richland Mall/Midtown at Forest Acres does!

I agree concerning the Columbia Place/Eastland comparison. For the most part, Eastland is done. Columbia Place is just going through an evolution of sorts as it carves out a new niche for itself, and so far it seems like the process is going OK.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2008 Closings: Cones N Cappucinos

McDonalds

Yo Taco

Briar Patch

Pac Sun

Family Christian Stores

Kay-Bee Toys

McDonald's closing is based on effort from the local management. If anyone has ever been to the McDonald's, you can understand why it's closing. McDonald's threats can be traced back 3 years. So management has had enough time to prepare.

Cones N Cappucino is blamed on the owner not keeping his commitment to advertising or keeping his location top prority.

Briar Patch's closing is a part of Kirkland's nationwide efforts to eliminate mall locations. Columbiana closed earlier this year as well. Both leases at the malls weren't up, but the malls knew to start searching for replacements and when replacements were found the store could break the lease early.

PacSun has struggled since day one with management and the idea of keeping certain merchandise assortments at Columbiana only. This hindered people from going to Columbia Place.

Family Christian Stores is like Briar Patch and focusing on open air stores only. The store in Columbiana relocated next to Total Wine and the store in Columbia Place is moving to Sandhill.

KB Toys has struggled and they announced closings of locations nationwide that were underperforming or coming close to renewal time.

Where was/is the movie theater and when did it originally close?

The movie theatre is located right outside of what is now Burlington Coat Factory. A quick history

General Cinemas ran the theatre thru about 2000 with 8 screens. The building was extensively renovated around 1985.

Phoenix Theatres ran the theatre from 2001-2007 with 8 screens. The building was not remodeled during their tenture.

Columbia Entertainment Group is currently running the theatre and has converted the 8 screens to stadium seating and remodeled it. They also have plans to reopen the Kent Cinemas (off property) behind the mall as a second run theatre.

• 7 months later...

Mid Year Update on Columbia Place Mall

STORE CLOSED IN 2008 (Includes Only Permanent Tenants):

Cato (underperforming) (My Opinion: Shouldn't have been from the beginning)

Ritz Camera (underperforming) (My Opinion: Declining Camera Stores)

Family Christian Stores (relocated to Sandhill) (My Opinion: Shouldn't be located in a mall)

KB Toys (underperforming) (My Opinion: Market share decreased by WALMART)

Fredericks of Hollywood (underperforming) (My Opinion: Corporate Problems)

demo (companywide closure) (My Opinion: Chain could have been saved but I understand the economy)

Cones N Cappucino (underperforming) (My Opinion: Not much put into this shop)

McDonald's (underperforming) (My Opinion: Did anyone ever deal with staff at this restaurant)

Yo Taco (underperforming) (My Opinion: Wrong market for this restaurant)

PacSun (underperforming) (My Opinion: More could have been done to save this store, but I'm sorry to see it go)

Fines/Street Stuff (companywide bankruptcy) (My Opinion: Thank god)

Piercing Pagoda (underperforming) (My Opinion: No Opinion)

Briar Patch (companywide restructuring) (My Opinion: Who's handling this companies realestate, he/she should be slapped)

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't prepared and God that was a horrible thing for me to have to deliver bad news about the mall I am so pationate about.

I did some research. Dillard's financials look horrible. They lost 38 million dollars compared to 25 million last year?!? It's a wonder they have any locations. After talking to management at other department stores like Macy's and Belk; they say Dillard's problem is not marking down merchandise and appealing to everyone during this economic crisis. Macy's and Belk seem to always have a sale catered to home sales, clothing or shoes. Dillard's finds itself losing prime customers to markets where Macy's or Belk have a presence.

As for the Columbia Place store....no store closing is a positive....but it will be replaced.

Spartan, I would like to move to open a group titled "Dillard's replacement prospects" and open the floor to my own scenarios.

1. Belk would relocate from Midtown at Forest Acres finishing off the mall to a better looking and larger location at Columbia Place

2. Dillards space is split with one of the following joining the mall: (Dick's Sporting Goods, Bed Bath & Beyond, TJMaxx, Sportsmans Warehouse)

3. JCPenney comes back to Columbia Place to fill the space.

4. Target opens a store at Columbia Place

5. A theatre would seem unlikely.

I don't think Belks will move back to Columbia Place because it is too close to VAS. Macy's seems to be doing fine at Columbia Place, I shop there regularly. I usually go into Dillards, also, whenever I go to CP, but I usually end up buying at Macy's instead because their sales tend to be better.

I don't think Belks will move back to Columbia Place because it is too close to VAS. Macy's seems to be doing fine at Columbia Place, I shop there regularly. I usually go into Dillards, also, whenever I go to CP, but I usually end up buying at Macy's instead because their sales tend to be better.

There's always that possibility only because of the size of the Belk store at VAS and the performance of Midtown at Forest Acres.

GEORGIA

Cross Country Plaza (COLUMBUS)

Discover Mills (LAWRENCEVILLE)

Glynn Place (BRUNSWICK) - Closing

Houston County Galleria (CENTERVILLE) - Closing

Macon Mall (MACON)

Perimeter Square (ATHENS) - Closing

Savannah Mall (SAVANNAH)

NORTH CAROLINA

Akers Center (GASTONIA)

Biltmore Square (ASHEVILLE)

Greenville Mall (GREENVILLE) - Closing

Marketplace Mall (WINSTON-SALEM)

Oak Hollow Mall (HIGH POINT)

Sardis Road (CHARLOTTE)

University Centre - Wilmington (WILMINGTON)

White Oaks Plaza (SPINDALE) - Closing

Wilson Mall (WILSON) - Closing

SOUTH CAROLINA

Columbia Place Mall (COLUMBIA)

Edgewood Square (NORTH AUGUSTA) - Closing

Festival Centre (NORTH CHARLESTON)

Gallery Shopping Center (GREENVILLE)

Inlet Square Mall (MURRELS INLET) - Closing

Rock Hill Galleria (ROCK HILL) - Closing

Springdale Plaza (CAMDEN) - Closing

Steve & Barry's Sumter (SUMTER) - Closing

Edited by xyhamiltonboi

Dillard's is closing?

That's a troubled chain but with that store closing, plus the list of other small-store closings at Columbia Place, doesn't bode well for the mall's future. Unfortunate, as I thought it was a pretty decent mall when I went there in December- I thought it was an attractive mall with decent stores in it, save a few "urban" ones.

A mall can survive with Macy's, Sears, BCF and Steve & Barry's (if it lasts), but it would definitely be a B-grade or C-grade mall.

Yet another example of a '70s mid-market mall failing to thrive these days.

(How in the world did Columbia retail survive so well when there were department stores downtown plus Woodhill, Richland, Dutch Square, Columbiana, Columbia, Decker, etc. malls there, and now they're dying off or already dead, except Columbiana?)

Edited by mallguy

Dillard's is closing?

That's a troubled chain but with that store closing, plus the list of other small-store closings at Columbia Place, doesn't bode well for the mall's future. Unfortunate, as I thought it was a pretty decent mall when I went there in December- I thought it was an attractive mall with decent stores in it, save a few "urban" ones.

A mall can survive with Macy's, Sears, BCF and Steve & Barry's (if it lasts), but it would definitely be a B-grade or C-grade mall.

Yet another example of a '70s mid-market mall failing to thrive these days.

(How in the world did Columbia retail survive so well when there were department stores downtown plus Woodhill, Richland, Dutch Square, Columbiana, Columbia, Decker, etc. malls there, and now they're dying off or already dead, except Columbiana?)

Woodhill has been remade into a successful strip center - it only had one department store - Tapp's - when it was a mall; Target was the other anchor. Dutch Square is actually doing pretty well with a 3-story Belk, BCF and a multiplex as the anchors. There are not many empty spaces at Dutch Square. Columbia Place is still probably 90% leased with over 100 stores and it's good that Steve and Barry's will remain open, especially since Dillards is closing. It certainly isn't the mall it once was, but it is over 30 years old. I don't really know how so many department stores have been able to survive in Columbia, but there have always been a lot, even when I was a kid.