Columbia Place Mall

Actually, Macy's and Dillard's have closed. The map is just not updated. Dillard's Stores in Florida,Macy's stores in Palm Beach Area. As you can see, both stores have actually closed. That mall only has 30 stores out of 100. Making it about 30% leased, now that is sad.

It's the same thing that happened to downtowns in the 60's and 70's; everything is cyclical.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI today's Wall Street Journal on dead malls (focusing on Eastland in Charlotte) contains a list of the malls in the US with the lowest sales per square foot (allegedly).

Columbia Place is included in that list of 84 malls.

(So is Citadel Mall in Charleston- which I don't get? It's a thriving mall, or so I thought.)

Edited by mallguy

FYI today's Wall Street Journal on dead malls (focusing on Eastland in Charlotte) contains a list of the malls in the US with the lowest sales per square foot (allegedly).

Columbia Place is included in that list of 84 malls.

(So is Citadel Mall in Charleston- which I don't get? It's a thriving mall, or so I thought.)

The way the article selected the 84 "dead malls" isn't the way most companies rate their shopping center's success.

The way the article selected the 84 "dead malls" isn't the way most companies rate their shopping center's success.

True as the list showed just sales per square foot and listed every mall included in the survey that had sales per square foot of $250 or below. Some of the malls on the list were surprising- Citadel in Charleston, Eastridge near Charlotte, etc.- those malls have low vacancy rates and all anchors in place.

I still think that Columbia Place is an attractive, pleasant mall.

Edited by mallguy

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I don't read this for a month and wow so many claims about a mall I know all too well about.

Macy's owns their space and has no plans to open a new location or shut the Columbia Place store. That store brings in close to $18,000.00 and since Dillard's closed that amount has increased. You don't fix what isn't broken and that's why Macy's has continued to invest in that store. Visit it, you'll see the renovation that took place a few years ago and the investment in bringing Sunglass Hut in. I know Sunglass Hut coming to Macy's was a corporate move, but the store does very well.

A dead mall doesn't generate interest from national or regional chains and Columbia Place has demonstrated in the last few years that their still lies interest. There have been a few urban store deals that have taken place, but stores like Express, Bath & Body Works, Victoria's Secret, Chick-fil-A, and Zales have renewed their leases.

I've always called chains doing site visits at malls they'll never open in a "comedy tour" and some of the names that have recently visited the former Steve & Barry's location (Columbia Place owned) and the former Dillard's location (Dillard's owned) are reputable places. Also keep in mind the economy for retail isn't the best and even ol General Growth and Columbiana Centre aren't doing what they want. It is very evident with a drive thru Columbia that Sandhill is underperforming, Richland got help, Dutch Square's redevelopment is on hold and we've read the news of GGP. There have been some new local stores that have opened in Columbia Place, but I guess I like the fact that it hasn't gotten to the point of Eastland where you don't feel safe and every store that opens caters to current and former convicts.

I was wondering why Dutch Square hasn't jumped on it's on form of redevelopment in the past couple of years. I thought with Walmart opening up that that corridor would get a little love. When I was in highschool (a couple yrs ago), me and my friends were always mad that we had to go to harbison to get to any kind of good store. Whenever I'm in town, my family and I brave DS and go to the movie theatre there. Wish they could do something with that mall because it's almost as depressing as Richland Mall. :/

Back to topic:

1. I thought Macy's already was planning to move to Columbiana.

2. Wasn't that Old Navy the only two-story one in the state or something? lol

3. How long do you guys think that the Best Buy will stay open there? I'm not bashing it, the last time it was busy. I'm just wondering if you think it will move to VAS soon?

It's funny how fast malls fall. I used to always go to Columbia Mall until I moved farther up Two Notch when I was about 12. My family just kinda followed the development. Now we live in the city practically.

I was wondering why Dutch Square hasn't jumped on it's on form of redevelopment in the past couple of years. I thought with Walmart opening up that that corridor would get a little love. When I was in highschool (a couple yrs ago), me and my friends were always mad that we had to go to harbison to get to any kind of good store. Whenever I'm in town, my family and I brave DS and go to the movie theatre there. Wish they could do something with that mall because it's almost as depressing as Richland Mall. :/

Back to topic:

1. I thought Macy's already was planning to move to Columbiana.

2. Wasn't that Old Navy the only two-story one in the state or something? lol

3. How long do you guys think that the Best Buy will stay open there? I'm not bashing it, the last time it was busy. I'm just wondering if you think it will move to VAS soon?

It's funny how fast malls fall. I used to always go to Columbia Mall until I moved farther up Two Notch when I was about 12. My family just kinda followed the development. Now we live in the city practically.

1. Macy's has no plans to move to Columbiana

2. yes that is the only two story Old Navy in the state.

3. Best Buy just completed an extensive renovation of the Two Notch store and canceled plans to open their store at Sandhill.

3. Best Buy just completed an extensive renovation of the Two Notch store and canceled plans to open their store at Sandhill.

I don't blame them at all. That Two Notch store is a serious cash cow. Every time I'm there the parking lot is always completely packed.

If they opened a location at Sandhill, they'd probably end up cannibalizing a lot of their own business.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Despite the economic downturn. Columbia Place Mall is not losing any major stores during the January month. Last year they lost several stores. A few updates for you on the property.

Basix is not going to open at Columbia Place. In my opinion someone must have heard my constant beotching on why this would only continue a downward urban spiral.

There is activity on two pieces of property in the parking lot that are owned by others. The former Toys R Us is being renovated and the former Sticky Fingers space has very serious leads.

• 6 months later...

I Went to Columbia Place mall yesterday and its no the Same anymore. years have passed and now the Mall how completely lost its Luster. Alot of stores are closed and its kinda boring there now.

The only thing i like in the Store was the Baseball card shop becuase they have alot of Cosplay stuff there and alot of Manga books and toys i want.

I Went to Columbia Place mall yesterday and its no the Same anymore. years have passed and now the Mall how completely lost its Luster. Alot of stores are closed and its kinda boring there now.

The only thing i like in the Store was the Baseball card shop becuase they have alot of Cosplay stuff there and alot of Manga books and toys i want.

If I lived in Columbia, I would probably only go to Columbia Place for the Macy's.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Do you guys think Macy's will last there? I don't see where else there is room for them to go in Columbia.

Yes. Columbia Place to me seems like a clone of Shannon Mall/Union Station Mall in Union City, GA, which has a Sears and a Macy's, having lost JC Penney and Rich's years ago. (Apparently the interior portion of the mall closed.)

I was looking at the Columbia Place directory and the in-line stores seem nearly identical to the ones at Eastland Mall in Charlotte a few years ago.

Macy's won't leave the market, but the likelihood of them remaining at Columbia Place is low. I figure they'll land at VAS or Columnbiana before it's all said and done.

StevenRocks, I'll go with you on this.

Hmmm, a mall with "urban"-tpe chains and anchored by Sears and Burlington Coat Factory- we can look to Central Avenue in Charlotte to see how long that'll last. Unfortunate, as I like Columbia Place; it's an aesthetically attractive mall and the owner did a good job on the renovations a few years ago.

Macy's isn't going anywhere and there's a little bit of movement on the old Steve & Barry's space as well. Economy was the biggest factor in Columbia Place. I don't see Columbia Place taking a turn for the worst or magically getting it's luster right away. Columbiana is getting better and VAS is eating their lunch, but please don't forget. Columbia Place is Columbia's #2 mall with the markets only Macy's near Fort Jackson and I-20, I-77 and 277 from town.

• 9 months later...

Opening Fall 2011: Shoe Dept. Encore - This store will be located on the lower level in the bottom portion of the former Old Navy. This is Shoe Dept.'s most successful concept and if you don't remember Columbia Place did lose Shoe Dept. in 2009 from the upper level across from the former Old Navy. Possible steps in the right direction for this mall.

Opening Fall 2011: Shoe Dept. Encore - This store will be located on the lower level in the bottom portion of the former Old Navy. This is Shoe Dept.'s most successful concept and if you don't remember Columbia Place did lose Shoe Dept. in 2009 from the upper level across from the former Old Navy. Possible steps in the right direction for this mall.
oh great thats all we need more shoe places in the Columbia. what happened to the quality of Columbia Place mall. theres nothing but black store shops there. (no offence since im black) Columbiana is doing alot better then them. i think it will be better if Columbia Place just shut down and rebuild from scratch and rebrand the whole area and make it like They are trying to do with Dutch Square.

oh great thats all we need more shoe places in the Columbia. what happened to the quality of Columbia Place mall. theres nothing but black store shops there. (no offence since im black) Columbiana is doing alot better then them. i think it will be better if Columbia Place just shut down and rebuild from scratch and rebrand the whole area and make it like They are trying to do with Dutch Square.

Hey growingup15. This is a positive move for Columbia Place. Prior to this opening there were no family shoe stores in the mall and this is a very important category. Athletic shoes don't attract familes. Here's a look at the mix of what the other malls and Columbia Place consider as family shoes and hopefully you'll understand this as a step in the right direction.

Columbia Place

Burlington Coat Factory

Macy's

Marshall's (Outside the Mall)

Payless Shoesource

Shoe Dept Encore (Opening Fall 2011)

Sears

Columbiana Centre

Belk

Dillard's

JCPenney

The Shoe Dept.