Columbia Place Mall

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, internet shopping will end up winning, IMO.

Right now, public human interaction is centered on the shopping experience. It's probably the number one public activity in the US now. The internet took a big bite out of the growth of retail square footage a few years ago, but the sales growth was strnger than the impact and reatail recovered somewhat. the problem is that most new stores look and function like the distribution centers the merchandise came from :(

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to Columbia Place today and for those of you who know the signs of a new store coming. There is now a white wall on the interior of the mall between the mall and JCPenney. Which means someone is starting construction on the space for something NEW! We know they aren't trying to hide it or they would have done this before Christmas approached. Anyone who has inside sources please keep us posted. I'm doing my own research as well.

I just went to Columbia Place today and for those of you who know the signs of a new store coming. There is now a white wall on the interior of the mall between the mall and JCPenney. Which means someone is starting construction on the space for something NEW! We know they aren't trying to hide it or they would have done this before Christmas approached. Anyone who has inside sources please keep us posted. I'm doing my own research as well.

It's good to see work on something is starting now.

Oh yeah I remember awhile back there was complaining because there was no ambercrombie in the Cola area. Well there was a store and a half at Columbiana not sure how long it's been there though, but one none the less. Oh well not important just getting it out there.

Thats been there since 2001 :)

Hello all,this is my first post here. I moved to Irmo a year ago and am still trying to get my relocated life together! This is a nice city, but suffers from lots of visual blight and poor quality shopping areas. Did the city ever have any plan for growth? It would seem not. I have found that Columbiana Center is the only viable mall, the others all look as if they are about to close down. Columbia PLace is OK, but one from a larger city would still get the feeling that something is amiss there as well. I don't understand why, the whole city is large enough for more than one good shopping mall. And the NE is growing the fastest, as far as Richland county goes. It's good to hear of the plans for the Richland mall, that is a prime location, and Dutch Square, I am sorry, is a joke. Very nice facility, but it's not built in a nice area, I think that's the problem. I, like many here am also looking forward to seeing this city turn itself around. Right now, this is the only large city in the Southeast that still has home prices almost half of that of other major cities. Great for us, but it's a sign that people don't want to move here. I moved here partly because I see Columbia at the start of a revitalization that will benefit all it's residents. Good to meet you all and I look forward to engaging in further conversation about Columbia.

Oh okay. Well then what store was it that Cola didn't have but other places like florence had then?

Aeropostale is in just about every city in SC except Cola....that includes Rock Hill, Florence, Myrlte beach has 3, Charleston, Greenville, & Spartanburg....

J. Crew is in Greenville & Charleston

Guess in Greenville

Wet Seal is in Spartanburg, Greenville, Charleston & Myrlte Beach

Bebe is in Charleston

On the Border is in Greenville & Mt. Pleasant & Myrtle Beach

Rooms To Go is in Charleston & Greenville & Myrlte

ok, there is more but im too tired to name the rest lol....just to give you an idea...since you did ask! :)

Edited by Temeteron

As confirmed Toys R Us is closing their Columbia Place location. This leaves too major spaces to lease including the former JCPenney location.

Good News:

Columbia Place now has the attention of the Regional Vice President of Leasing. Jan Wills is now handling Columbia Place as well as 3 other Carolina Malls.

Coastal Grand - Myrtle Beach, SC

Cross Creek Mall - Fayetteville, NC

Asheville Mall - Asheville, NC

She's good and has her ear in the community listening to us (the consumer) Make a list of realistic stores that could come to Columbia Place.

As confirmed Toys R Us is closing their Columbia Place location. This leaves too major spaces to lease including the former JCPenney location.

Good News:

Columbia Place now has the attention of the Regional Vice President of Leasing. Jan Wills is now handling Columbia Place as well as 3 other Carolina Malls.

Coastal Grand - Myrtle Beach, SC

Cross Creek Mall - Fayetteville, NC

Asheville Mall - Asheville, NC

She's good and has her ear in the community listening to us (the consumer) Make a list of realistic stores that could come to Columbia Place.

What do you think should come there?

Just wanted to add my two cents on an issue that angers me. I do not work for CBL or Columbia Place, but have done detailed research on my information before I post it. A recent article on Deadmalls.com points to Columbia Place as a dying mall. The article is completely inaccurate. It says Columbia Place's "local stores" have banners in many cases instead of actual signs and that the mall is on it's last cycle. The article also points to Victoria's Secret and Kay Jewelers as being former stores that have left.

*This statement is not on behalf of Columbia Place, it's owners or management. It is on behalf of someone that actually researches information before publishing*

Columbia Place is viable despite departure of a few big boxes surrounding it. If you are driving from any area of town to Northeast Columbia, Two Notch Road is accessible from I-20 or I-77 providing plenty of shopping from the newly opened Village at Sandhill to Columbia Place. Columbia Place has the only area Macy's and just did a renovation. JCPenney and Toys R Us leaving presents opportunity for management to redevelop. Do you guys not remember when Don Pablo's, O'Charley's and General Cinema left? Speculation was brought on that Columbia Place would probably never refill those spaces or something more degrading to the mall would take the place. To the surprise of others Columbia Place leased Don Pablos former restuarant to Charleston Crab House (exclusive in Columbia since Harbison location closed), O'Charley's location was leased to Sticky Fingers and General Cinemas was reopened by pioneers who headed Regal Cinemas who since started their own concept Phoenix Theatres which is slowly going nationwide. All of these things have happened on CBL's watch. CBL won't let Columbia Place nor peripheral properties go under. My words to the author of the article on deadmalls.com. Please do research first.

Rashaad

Edited by xyhamiltonboi

• 3 weeks later...

I think deadmalls.com is more for the entertainment value than for more serious uses such as investment advice for real estate developers. Nonetheless, during a recent trip through Columbia, I went to Dutch Square, Richland and Columbia Place, and those malls were all class B or C malls; Dutch Square actually seemed to be in the best shape.

• 2 weeks later...