Pictures of Hot Springs

Mith242

Since my pictures of Fayetteville seem to have gotten a lot of attention I thought I'd dig out some older pics I took of Hot Springs earlier in the year. I wish I had spent a little more time there. I mainly went to the Garvin Gardens, a pretty nice botanical gardens I'd been wanting to check out. Then I went down to Bathhouse Row. Didn't really have a whole lot of time, Hot Springs isn't the shortest trip for me. But anyway I'll start off with some pics of Bathhouse Row. I was also using my new camera so a number of my pics didn't come out because it didn't quite work like my old camera. I think the first couple of pics are of the old Army/Navy Hospital. Back in the good old days when everyone came to Hot Springs for the water. There's only one working bathhouse still open. I can't recall the name, Johnny might have to provide some info here since he's from there. The Fordyce Bathhouse has been converted over into a visitor center. Which is where the stained glass picture is from. Apparently the government is working on fixing up the rest of the bathhouses and leasing them out. Although I still haven't figured out what they might be used for.

hs041md.jpg

hs079mi.jpg

hs054vp.jpg

hs060vr.jpg

hs081ne.jpg

hs096zu.jpg

hs107sb.jpg

hs116lt.jpg

hs121sv.jpg

hs139ns.jpg

hs297hw.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of springs, most of the springs were tapped and little has been left in it's natural state. Just imagine if this had happened to Yellowstone. But I guess it was far away enough to escape all of that. But there is one springs that's still in it's natural state. I couldn't get the steam to stand out very well though. In the last pic I believe that big rosck is called DeSoto Rock. I believe it's made of tufa, rock that's been made from all the minerals that precipitate out of the hot water. Unfortunately much of the tufa rock formations are also not left. It would be interesting what Hot Springs National Park would be like if it was discovered later or was in a more remote area.

hs155do.jpg

hs168qd.jpg

hs176hy.jpg

hs181ro.jpg

hs236od.jpg

hs18b1xd.jpg

Not too far from the spring is the Arlington Hotel. I believe it was completed in the 30's. All of the fountains everywhere somewhat remind me of Italy. I'm not sure how many there are, but I've heard there is a small group of Italian artist that have moved to Hot Springs because it reminded them of home. The last pics are from on top of Hot Spring Mountain. I hiked a trail in the National Park to the top. In the very last two pics you can see the roller coaster over in Magic Springs Amusement Park.

hs141uq.jpg

hs192mk.jpg

hs209wa.jpg

hs218it.jpg

hs229bp.jpg

hs248xh.jpg

hs259gr.jpg

hs263xt.jpg

hs276gt.jpg

hs283vv.jpg

That's all for now. I have to resize everything so that takes a little time, so I'll save some for tomorrow. I'll also include some from Garvin Gardens.

Wow, I'm loving Bathhouse Row!!!

Judging by these pictures, Hot Springs has about the most urban feel of any city other than Little Rock.

Well Done!!

It does have a more urban feel than what northwest Arkansas has. But for that matter Pine Bluff does too. Unfortunately most of it sets empty in decay. I'll be visiting family for the holidays near Pine Bluff so maybe I'll try to take some pics there too. At least try to show some of the more positive aspects of the city.

Since my pictures of Fayetteville seem to have gotten a lot of attention I thought I'd dig out some older pics I took of Hot Springs earlier in the year. I wish I had spent a little more time there. I mainly went to the Garvin Gardens, a pretty nice botanical gardens I'd been wanting to check out. Then I went down to Bathhouse Row. Didn't really have a whole lot of time, Hot Springs isn't the shortest trip for me. But anyway I'll start off with some pics of Bathhouse Row. I was also using my new camera so a number of my pics didn't come out because it didn't quite work like my old camera. I think the first couple of pics are of the old Army/Navy Hospital. Back in the good old days when everyone came to Hot Springs for the water. There's only one working bathhouse still open. I can't recall the name, Johnny might have to provide some info here since he's from there. The Fordyce Bathhouse has been converted over into a visitor center. Which is where the stained glass picture is from. Apparently the government is working on fixing up the rest of the bathhouses and leasing them out. Although I still haven't figured out what they might be used for.

The Buckstaff is the one that's still operating. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe that the new plans call for at least a couple of the bathhouses to be put back to being bathhouses again. I think the idea is for one to be a bit more upscale, and one to be more affordable. Some of the plans submitted had the idea of converting some into restaurants.

Thanks for more great pictures. :thumbsup:

The Buckstaff is the one that's still operating. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe that the new plans call for at least a couple of the bathhouses to be put back to being bathhouses again. I think the idea is for one to be a bit more upscale, and one to be more affordable. Some of the plans submitted had the idea of converting some into restaurants.

Thanks for more great pictures. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info. I had been wondering what they would do with the bathhouses. I'm glad it sounds like they'll open some of them as bathhouses again. And I do think Hot Springs should go for the spa scene. I've seen a number of cities out west have spas and I think that it should be a perfect fit for Hot Springs.

Okay guess I'll finish up what I have, although it's pics of Garvin Gardens. No more of Hot Springs itself. As you can see it's spring because of the dogwood blossoms. They've got some interesting bridges in the garden. I'm not positive if the gazebo was done by E Fay Jones or was done by his architectural firm. I believe they are putting in a chapel too by his firm in his style.

hs300em.jpg

hs386yw.jpg

hs319mz.jpg

hs339px.jpg

hs340ug.jpg

hs555ay.jpg

hs567jo.jpg

hs359rf.jpg

hs360it.jpg

hs549ol.jpg

hs469oy.jpg

hs537ks.jpg

hs403qa.jpg

hs413qm.jpg

It was still early in the spring so I don't think the garden was in it's full glory. There were also lots of tulips too. And no that's not a fall picture mixed in there, that maple is naturally red. The last three pics are of Lake Hamilton I believe looking back towards Hot Springs.

hs496aq.jpg

hs579bf.jpg

hs503ft.jpg

hs517ki.jpg

hs522pz.jpg

hs396qz.jpg

hs449ww.jpg

hs479nk.jpg

hs483ci.jpg

hs459tt.jpg

hs427wb.jpg

hs431uy.jpg

hs016jh.jpg

hs020bz.jpg

hs035xo.jpg

Yeah now I wish I had spent more time and also taken more pictures while I was there. But when I first got my digital camera I didn't start off with a lot of memory card space. I do look forward to trying to make some trips outside of northwest Arknasas sometime. Although I don't usually go during the winter time because things just seem somewhat drab to me. I'd prefer to wait till spring when everything is turning green.

I do have a few pics of Mt Magazine and Hemmed-in Hollow near the Buffalo National River. Everything else I have in the state is my pre-digital camera days. Wasn't sure if there was much interest in my even less 'urban' pics that I still have.

Very cool! I'm beginning to feel like I've been to lazy... :-D

Referring to your earlier comment about the springs.... none of them were completely tapped. All of them are covered (they still have hot water coming out) by big green metal boxes to keep people from polluting them (people would bathe, washe clothes, etc in the springs in the olden days). You might remember them from when you were hiking on the promenade...there are a couple littered throughout.

Fandom fact: The fountain in front to the arlington was created by a local chinese-american. My dad taught his daughter...

Very cool! I'm beginning to feel like I've been to lazy... :-D

Referring to your earlier comment about the springs.... none of them were completely tapped. All of them are covered (they still have hot water coming out) by big green metal boxes to keep people from polluting them (people would bathe, washe clothes, etc in the springs in the olden days). You might remember them from when you were hiking on the promenade...there are a couple littered throughout.

Fandom fact: The fountain in front to the arlington was created by a local chinese-american. My dad taught his daughter...

Some interesting info Johnny. I guess I was always under the impression that most of them were tapped. Good thing you're around to help correct me. I don't really recall seeing any big green boxes, but I was probably too busy looking at everything else. I really do like all the fountains around Hot Springs. I think this is something that shouldn't be forgotten. It would be great if they would eventually put in some more.

Beautiful Pictures!

I've added Hot Springs to my list of must see Arkansas cities, it looks beautiful in every picture I've seen of it, and I've only heard good things about the city itself.

Oh wait a sec, I forgot to post all the pics of the horrible areas. Just kidding, yeah it's a pretty nice city. It's certainly got some interesting history. Back in the good old days when everyone used to come here to try out the hot waters, baseball stars, presidents, infamous mob figures.

• 1 month later...

They were taken last winter. I just decided to post them since I figured out that I could attach them rather than go to imageshack. I had to really dig deep to find the topic, it was really buried. I'm not sure how many springs are untapped...I know most of them are blocked off, but you can walk over them. It's nice when it's cold to stand over the vent where the steam comes out of the ground.

They were taken last winter. I just decided to post them since I figured out that I could attach them rather than go to imageshack. I had to really dig deep to find the topic, it was really buried. I'm not sure how many springs are untapped...I know most of them are blocked off, but you can walk over them. It's nice when it's cold to stand over the vent where the steam comes out of the ground.

I thought I had heard something about two that were left untapped but I only ever recall seeing one. Do they prevent snow from accumulating in very big areas over by bathhouse row?

Great pictures! I have stayed at the Arlington. It's a magnificent old building. Have they done much to improve the Majestic? Nice bones on that one, but it has suffered from some really insensitive additions in the 1950's and 60's.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived