Why I like Pittsburgh

blueblackcat

I like being stopped in the street by people I know 10 times a day, even if I'm always late for everything because of it. I like running into Marines and their dates on the South Side when I'm out with mine. I like having the Marine Corps Ball at Soldiers and Sailors hall, I love walking around Pitt's campus in my dress blues. I like Pittsburgh because it's better than Iraq. I like Pittsburgh because it's it's like a real life version of the hamster tubes at Chuck-E-Cheeze when I ride my motorcycle. I love how I can go anywhere and back without having to go through the same tunnel or bridge twice. Nothing is flat, nothing is on a plane, everything is up and down, through or across, always interesting, always cunning. One minute I'm riding between skyscrapers, a mile later I'm on a wooded winding road through a steep valley. The entire Chinese army couldn't control the movement of people in a city like Pittsburgh. And I really like that they made the section of road in front of the Frick Fine Arts building go in both ways now, cos that really saves me time. I like Pittsburgh because of the girls sunbathing on the Cathedral lawn. Where else do girls sunbathe next to a skyscraper? And speaking of buildings, Pittsburgh's just about the only city in America I've seen where the architecture is worth a damn. And where else can I find a world class museum sharing space between two world class university campuses, a life sized dinosaur statue, and soon a merry-go-round? I like going to other countries and meeting random students who ask me if I know a certain Pitt professor because it turns out he sent them 10 pages of helpfull comments for their dissertation, because there might be 2 other people in the world doing that kind of research. I like seeing little signs of home all over the world, like Heinz ketchup in Kuwait, someone wearing a Steeler's jersey in Paris, movie posters for Land of the Dead, and other little things like that. I know for certain that I'll never be able to go anywhere without being reminded of it. It may not be the biggest, trendiest, or most respected city out there, but if you get to know it then you'll never forget it.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was some great stuff blueblack! Brought a tear to my eye for the first time since Webby got inducted in the Pittsburgh Hall of Fame (some call it the Pro Football Hall of Fame lol).

I've thought about giving you my answer to that question, but didn't want to take anything away from your thoughts for the other members. I'll add mine in a few days.

Thanks, that was a lovely post.

This seems like a good place to describe an experience I had last night. I was driving down Bates Street toward the South Side, and when I got close to Second Ave, the view of the Pittsburgh Technology Center buildings lit up, with the South Side Works in the background, was stunning. It made me feel good. Then I crossed the Hot Metal Bridge, surrounded by lights, drove down Carson for a ways, and went up into the slopes. On Josephina St. I turned right, and BAM, there was Downtown all lit up ahead of me. It was a beautiful drive, and I loved feeling that I was in the middle of a vibrant city, and that city is the place I call home. Even more amazing, most of what I saw on that drive was abandoned steel mills and empty lots not that long ago...

I like Pittsburgh a lot too. I spent a few weeks there a couple of years ago for work. The people are nice, you have a great infrastructure going for you and you're on the edge of a downtown boom for residential growth. You have four distinct seasons and plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy. I'd move there.

G that was one great drive, reminds me alot on how many pop culture watchers view Paris and San Fran with such awe, but as your drive shows Pittsburgh has just as many great views and hills and sparkling lights as any city out there!

Memphian, your city is also a gem but make that dream happen and become a Pittsburgher full time!

Archived