Michigan Economic Growth Plan

GRDadof3

I thought about putting this in the Michigan forum, but hardly anyone checks in there. The Grand Rapids Press has an article today about the new Economic Growth Plan that Granholm and the Legislature will have ready by the end of the week to jump-start the economy, which as been lagging behind the national economy. The $2 billion plan includes a $1 billion "technology" investment fund, $300 million venture capital fund, and the rest a series of business tax cuts.

http://www.mlive.com/grpress/frontpage/pdfs/Bu_Saturday.pdf

I hope that the technology fund puts money back into the "Health Science Corridor" program, or something similar. Research Triangle Park in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill did not grow organically, but was started by the tri-cities back in the 60's and 70's, and has really paid off for that area.

And I also think lowering the costs of doing business in Michigan is a good thing.

But that's me :)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here comes my $.02

cutting the SBT from 1.9% to 1.85% in 2009 is pathetic. We now have 4 more years of the highest business taxes in the country behind only Washington DC. Then in 2009 we're gonna cut these ridiculous taxes by 2.6%? WOW sounds like a great solution.

As for the $1B technology fund...... What exactly does technology mean? I've only read the article in the Press, but technology sounds a little broad to me. I think these large government investments can work, but spending a billion on technology in general isn

Good points Gary. I also found the business tax cuts to be paltry (and can't believe they add up to $700 million). Here are Granholm's answers to what the "Technology Funds" will be used for and how they will be distributed (this was for her $2 billion fund proposal):

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/FAQs_5-4-05_123996_7.pdf

I wish it were more specific myself. If I hear one more "automotive related" comment from her, I'm going to vomit :sick: Unless, as you pointed out, it's for alternative energy development for autos.

• 3 weeks later...

And from the other side of the aisle......

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Nov. 21, 2005

Granholm Stops Economic Recovery Plan

Governor blocks tax relief for manufacturers as

GM announces plans to eliminate 30,000 jobs in 2006

Speaker of the House Craig DeRoche today sharply criticized the action today by Governor Granholm that put tax relief for Michigan

Yes, no one in Lansing seems to be thinking all that clearly. Although I think giving tax breaks to manufacturers is just throwing money down a hole. But I also thought Granholm's idea to tax "services" completely ludicrous (I think she abandoned that idea a while ago). Imagine paying taxes on top of paying a realtor commission, or paying taxes to have plans drawn up for a building, or paying taxes ON TOP of having someone DO your tax returns. :wacko:

That's why I'll be the first Dem to vote for Devos, sorry Jenny. we need leadership from GR, especially when Metro Grand Rapids has one of the states highest unemployment rates, possibly even in the whole country.

That's an urban myth. I covered that here at the Michigan forum:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17939

Updated with October numbers:

http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.MI.htm

Ok that detures me a little from Devos strategy that the Grand Rapids area has rampent unemployment. I still think he'll do wonders for Grand Rapids and the entire state if he's elected..

Not that things are all roses. There have been a lot of jobs lost, and about 8000 have left the job market, but the unemployment rate for the METRO area is in the mid 5's.

I don't know if that is necessarily a good qualifier :P However, I'm ready for a change. The whole "East vs. West" that will erupt during the next gubernatorial election ought to be interesting though. I can't wait to be lumped in with ultra-conservatives and cronies, yah!! I'm betting Devos's campaign will be kinda like "New Europe vs. Old", "New South vs. Old South", though.

The whole "East vs. West" that will erupt during the next gubernatorial election ought to be interesting though. I can't wait to be lumped in with ultra-conservatives and cronies, yah!! I'm betting Devos's campaign will be kinda like "New Europe vs. Old", "New South vs. Old South", though.

If he goes that route there is no way for him to win dont you think? Metro D's got over 1/2 our population. He must win Oakland county IMO :angry:

Definitely he would have to carry Oakland, Macomb and Livingston Counties to win at all. It's a huge uphill battle for anyone to upseat Granholm I think. They would have to position themselves as the champions of a "New Economy", high tech, exciting, etc. and be able to show how they are going to do it. I don't know, if Kwame can win again, who knows what will happen. Although, if Devos can wrestle support out of L Brooks Patterson, then he might have a fighting chance (not that I like Patterson all that well).

Definitely he would have to carry Oakland, Macomb and Livingston Counties to win at all. It's a huge uphill battle for anyone to upseat Granholm I think. They would have to position themselves as the champions of a "New Economy", high tech, exciting, etc. and be able to show how they are going to do it. I don't know, if Kwame can win again, who knows what will happen. Although, if Devos can wrestle support out of L Brooks Patterson, then he might have a fighting chance (not that I like Patterson all that well).

I think he could carry Livingston, but Wayne, Oakland and Macomb are going to be trouble for almost any Republican. He could carry most the rest of the state, but that doesn't matter much if he can't get the votes in metro Detroit. The economy and jobs is going to be the central theme that will get hammered to death during the campaign. I agree that an "east vs. west" battle would be a losing one for DeVos. It will be an interesting election next year, thats for sure. ;)

I'm from GR, and to be honest, I don't trust the GOP to handle the economy... Reagan and Bush-style GOP politicians frighten me.

I'm not 100% behind Granholm, but I am more supportive of her over Devos. More because History has shown that at least on the national scale The Democratic Party knows how to blanace a budget. Perhaps the biggest fear I have with Devos is a return to Engler Economics... It was Engler economics that sent the state to the trash bin, IMPO (whether it is yours or not doesn't matter). We are in a situation similar to what President Clinton was in during the mid 90s-2000. A Congress completely unwilling to listen to the other side, and what happened was the 2002-Present recession(s).

DeVos is not the answer, his only support is that hes from Grand Rapids, and that maybe that will get more state funds to this area. I happen to think that wont be the case. Instead I see a situation where education budgets get slashed even further, coupled with government crippling tax cuts, making the situation far worse then it needs to be. Sending the economy into chaos. It is a good idea not to implement tax breaks for manufacturing jobs, but we need to raise much more money in education. Education always equals more money in return. Its going to take a shake up in the state congress, NOT in the governors seat to get the real reforms needed to change the economy.

Look beyond the governors seat, and look at what is actually being proposed to her by congress, most of it is Engler-style garbage economics! (A similar economic tactic proposed by Harold Voorhees, which got him defeated by Carrol Sheets) Get the GOP out of the state congress, and let change REALLY happen.

DeVos is not the answer, his only support is that hes from Grand Rapids, and that maybe that will get more state funds to this area. I happen to think that wont be the case. Instead I see a situation where education budgets get slashed even further, coupled with government crippling tax cuts, making the situation far worse then it needs to be. Sending the economy into chaos. It is a good idea not to implement tax breaks for manufacturing jobs, but we need to raise much more money in education. Education always equals more money in return. Its going to take a shake up in the state congress, NOT in the governors seat to get the real reforms needed to change the economy.

Look beyond the governors seat, and look at what is actually being proposed to her by congress, most of it is Engler-style garbage economics! (A similar economic tactic proposed by Harold Voorhees, which got him defeated by Carrol Sheets) Get the GOP out of the state congress, and let change REALLY happen.

IMO our state government is bloated and hasn't really had to cut anything of significance from its budget. I think state government needs to be re-organized. I realize this wont be fun, but just like any business; in the long run it will turn out for the best. We are a high tax state that collects a great deal of tax money; why do other states with lower taxes not have any budget problems? (I may be wrong about this if someone could show me some stats i.e. tax$/person)

I don't like the DeVos camp's stance on education either, particularly the whole voucher idea, but I think his most recent stance is that he wont change much there (I guess we'll see if that lasts). Also after my first paragraph - I'm not in favor of any cuts in education particularly higher ed.

I'm not very happy with the republican majority either. They only seem interested in obstructing Jenny's plans (which sometimes is a good thing IMO), probably because they want control of the governors office once again. It really makes me angry that they are playing politics when Michigan needs change and leadership most.

Honestly, neither side is saying much at this point. The Democrats are controlled by unions and "government can make your deams come true" types and the GOP isnt able to grasp that the global market is now running the show. Everyone needs to go if this state is to have a chance.

Sometimes I wish this nation had 5 major parties like Canada....

Honestly, neither side is saying much at this point. The Democrats are controlled by unions and "government can make your deams come true" types and the GOP isnt able to grasp that the global market is now running the show. Everyone needs to go if this state is to have a chance.

Sometimes I wish this nation had 5 major parties like Canada....

I figure Michigan could end up following Minnesota, and elect a strong third party canidate if someone came forward.

; why do other states with lower taxes not have any budget problems? (I may be wrong about this if someone could show me some stats i.e. tax$/person)

Seems like I read recently that Colorado was having budget problems, and has been traditionally a low tax/high growth State, but I can't remember the details. Don't get me wrong, Michigan is a higher than average cost state to do business in. Although, wasn't Michigan rated pretty well just 5 or 6 years ago as a great environment for business. The tax and business cost structure here hasn't changed that much, has it?? :huh: In fact, hasn't the single business tax gone down in that time period, and there are all kinds of tax incentives/brownfield tax credit areas available. Maybe it's all politics.

Here's an article about Colorado's situation, for which they just had a referendum vote recently (for you nerds):

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/ci_3158594

The tax and business cost structure here hasn't changed that much, has it?? :huh: In fact, hasn't the single business tax gone down in that time period, and there are all kinds of tax incentives/brownfield tax credit areas available. Maybe it's all politics.

Its a little of both, being that the GOP is probably overstating the importance of taxes, and the Democrats are overstating the importance of revenue generation.

Archived