Green Diamond Project

Hybrid0NE

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its pretty clear the B&C are trying to get around Richland County government by annexing into Cayce. I don't have any issue with Cayce annexing into Richland County if it makes sense, but you're going to have a hard time convincing me that crossing the Congaree is going to make sense for a town as small as Cayce. This is B&C at its worst.

If anyone is planning on writing the mayor of Cayce or their representative on council, express your concerns intelligently. There is no reason for Cayce to annex this land. It serves no purpose and will create an administrative nightmare when the thing floods. They will have to contract with Richland County or Columbia's Police, Fire, and EMS as well as water and sewer. There is absolutely no logical reason to do this except to skirt the decisions that have already been made.

• 2 weeks later...

Cayce's Mayor Wilkerson explains his position on the annexation:

http://www.thestate.com/editorial-columns/story/255371.html

While I agree there is some merit to contolling both sides of the river, I think overall this isn't a good thing. From the impressions I got from talking to my councilman and hearing Mayor Bob on Keven Cohen's show the other day, it sounds like its almost a done deal.

If its gotten this far, then its more than likely a done deal. Mayor Wilkerson is pandering to developers, that much is obvious. This is a perfect example of how SC's annexation laws work against its cities. Cayce is not known for its progressive development, and now Richland County will be stuck with a new development that it doesn't want and that will more than likely damage the floodplain (trying to manage a floodplain is like trying to herd cats). The developer has not changed here, and the plans that they say "don't exist" aren't going to change. What worse is that this precedent will probably lead to other Cayce annexations into Richland County once this development takes shape, further complicating the annexation scenario for the Midlands area.

Cayce is only looking out for its bottom line, so I can't entirely fault them for that- but ultimately I see this is a bad thing.

Well, from the sound of Coble on the radio show, it didn't sound like he was real hot on annexing it. I just hate for Cayce to get involved in Richco, and especially hate it with the B&C crowd (although they'll tell you, "Oh, it isn't B&C." Horse hockey.) being involved.

I swear, I loathe politics, but it makes me want to run against my councilman next election.

I've spoken to a few friends that live in Cayce and they are all against this plan; I'm encouraging them to write their mayor and councilmen and discourage them from going through with this. When there is a levee break and the Green Diamond project gets flooded or the levee causes worse flooding in Riverland Park, who will have to pick up the pieces?

"I think there will be some housecleaning during the next election. "

You betcha there will be. I lve in Cayce and I have yet to meet anyone that even halfway supports this or the way it is being done. For example, the meeting tonight is on zoning. The annexation vote could come Thursday.

Green Diamond (I refuse to call it Vista Farms) sent a mailer inviting us to meet our new neighbor. I almost glurged.

Anyway, I still think its a done deal. I've liked Wilkerson in the past, but he, and my councilman if he votes in favor, will not get the cap'n's vote.

"I think there will be some housecleaning during the next election. "

You betcha there will be. I lve in Cayce and I have yet to meet anyone that even halfway supports this or the way it is being done. For example, the meeting tonight is on zoning. The annexation vote could come Thursday.

Green Diamond (I refuse to call it Vista Farms) sent a mailer inviting us to meet our new neighbor. I almost glurged.

Anyway, I still think its a done deal. I've liked Wilkerson in the past, but he, and my councilman if he votes in favor, will not get the cap'n's vote.

Columbia is being PUBLICLY silent because to do otherwise, would enthuse the 'anti-Columbia/Richland' element on the Lexington side of the river to the cause of Cayce annexing the property. "Columbia can't tell us what to do" would be their rallying call. That would assure that Cayce city council would have unified support to annex the tract, the last thing Cola would want.

Archived