Green Diamond Project

Hybrid0NE

Columbia is being PUBLICLY silent because to do otherwise, would enthuse the 'anti-Columbia/Richland' element on the Lexington side of the river to the cause of Cayce annexing the property. "Columbia can't tell us what to do" would be their rallying call. That would assure that Cayce city council would have unified support to annex the tract, the last thing Cola would want.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Columbia is being PUBLICLY silent because to do otherwise, would enthuse the 'anti-Columbia/Richland' element on the Lexington side of the river to the cause of Cayce annexing the property. "Columbia can't tell us what to do" would be their rallying call. That would assure that Cayce city council would have unified support to annex the tract, the last thing Cola would want.

Cayce tentatively OKs annexation. Read about it here: http://www.thestate.com/local/story/263794.html

One way that the developers are trying to sway the city of Cayce. It seems to go along the lines of what someone said on here earlier.

Hughes portrayed the annexation as Cayce taking control of its destiny. Otherwise, he said, Cayce would have to rely on Columbia or Richland County

I find it condescending the way Hughes is telling Cayce to "take control of their own destiny" as if ONLY he and his project can offer this. Cayce should secure their own destiny by worrying about existing citizens, existing businesses, existing infrastructure, and exisiting development opportunities within the city. This is the lazy way to expand their tax base.

This Green Diamond finagling makes me sick to my stomach; it really does. These developers don't care about the Columbia metro. It's obvious from their attitude. They pit Columbia vs. Cayce and Richland vs. Lexington as a means of using existing tensions to further their project. They are making this a Us vs. Them issue which it isn't. The more I read quotes from Cayce citizens who are using language directly from Hughes ("take control of our destiny," "can't trust Richland County to take care us," etc.), the more I realize that Green Diamond is probably going to get what they want.

I find it condescending the way Hughes is telling Cayce to "take control of their own destiny" as if ONLY he and his project can offer this. Cayce should secure their own destiny by worrying about existing citizens, existing businesses, existing infrastructure, and exisiting development opportunities within the city. This is the lazy way to expand their tax base.

This Green Diamond finagling makes me sick to my stomach; it really does. These developers don't care about the Columbia metro. It's obvious from their attitude. They pit Columbia vs. Cayce and Richland vs. Lexington as a means of using existing tensions to further their project. They are making this a Us vs. Them issue which it isn't. The more I read quotes from Cayce citizens who are using language directly from Hughes ("take control of our destiny," "can't trust Richland County to take care us," etc.), the more I realize that Green Diamond is probably going to get what they want.

Pedestrian, you are right on the money. It's not that Cayce needs Columbia or Richland County to look after them; it's just that they need to recognize the role they play in the metropolitan area. Cayce is a quaint town, but they need to understand and accept their status as a suburb. As Columbia goes, so does Cayce and every other town in the metro area. If anything, this development will do nothing but create a mess that Columbia and Richland County will have to clean up, and then we'll really see who's looking after who.

Speaking of the comments, I knew I was on to something when I said that Cayce is starting to get the big head since SCANA decided to move across the river. Someone said that that move illustrates that Cayce is "a better place to do busines than Columbia or Richland County." This is the most ridiculous claim ever. Does this person honestly think that every business located in the suburb of a central city only located there for the suburb itself? The fact of the matter is that Cayce depends much more on Columbia than the converse. If Columbia were to disappear into thin air today, I guarantee you Cayce would do so as well in the next 24 hours.

Pedestrian- you hit the nail on the head. Whats worse is that even if this project had gone through in Richland County, it would not have affected Cayce at all.

Speaking of the comments, I knew I was on to something when I said that Cayce is starting to get the big head since SCANA decided to move across the river. Someone said that that move illustrates that Cayce is "a better place to do busines than Columbia or Richland County." This is the most ridiculous claim ever. Does this person honestly think that every business located in the suburb of a central city only located there for the suburb itself? The fact of the matter is that Cayce depends much more on Columbia than the converse. If Columbia were to disappear into thin air today, I guarantee you Cayce would do so as well in the next 24 hours.

This article says that Cayce is split on the issue, but the article doesn't mention anyone in support of the project. I haven't seen much in support of this project in general, other than the one comment in the reader comments section at the end of the article. So is Cayce's council really doing what's best for Cayce?

It makes no sense for Cayce to annex this property whatsoever.

What really irks me is that they say that they are looking out for Cayce's best interest, when in reality, their best interest was for nothing to happen on this site- and Richland County and Columbia had already accomplished that. Whats worse is that they act like there isn't a plan for the site, when we all know that there is. Now there will be a huge development here, and there's nothing anyone can do about it thanks to the small town politicians with prospects of extra cashflow in their eyes.

Does anyone think that there will be political outfall to this? Are the Mayor or any of the councilmen running for office this fall?

I can't believe Cayce's mayor has the gall to say he thinks most people are for the development, when everyone who turned up to the annexation meeting were against it.

I'm with you Spartan; they act like they don't know what's going to happen with the property when they know good and well there is. Even though it probably wasn't in Columbia's best interests to do so, I really wish they would have annexed the property so that it wouldn't get developed. Then again, no one probably expected this to happen.

I wonder if there is some sort of legal recourse here?

Archived