Fall Foliage near Elk Mountain in New Mexico

Mith242

Thought I might as well post some pics I took on vacation. I took these on Oct 1 around the Elk Mountain area in the Santa Fe National Forest. Off I-25 to Pecos and north of there. This area also isn't too far east of Santa Fe. Nice vivid yellow from the aspen trees there. Not sure of the elevation where I took these pics but Elk Mtn is around 11,600 ft.

nm014zy.jpg

nm027yt.jpg

nm030tf.jpg

nm040mo.jpg

nm050fp.jpg

nm065zy.jpg

nm077iw.jpg

nm082dk.jpg

nm098iy.jpg

nm101ku.jpg

nm112do.jpg

nm122bs.jpg

nm130zi.jpg

nm143pf.jpg

nm152xa.jpg

nm163rl.jpg

I'll also look for some foliage pics from southwest Colorado I took from the same vacation.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice photos.

My relatives out west always say if there weren't aspens they wouldn't have any fall color at all. Now I see their point!

Yeah in New Mexico you have basically two trees that change color in the fall, aspens in the higher elevations and cottonwoods in the lower elevations. And they both turn yellow.

Yeah, I wouldn't of really thought there would be mountains there.

Yeah people forget that ski resorts like Taos and Angel Fire are actually in New Mexico not Colorado. That's not to say there isn't the desert aspect to New Mexico but the Rocky Mountains do actually end as the Sangre de Cristo Mountain in New Mexico.

Archived