Theatre Expansion to The BOB

GRDadof3

Anyone affiliated with the Gilmore Group heard anything more on the proposed theatre and rumored hotel addition? Did Gilmore close on the parking lot next door yet? I know there were rumors going on around that they might be in talks with The House of Blues. :whistling:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone at this very forum let it slip a couple of months ago that they heard Gilmore was in talks with the House of Blues. :whistling: I thought Rockford was working with Hard Rock Cafe possibly for Cherry Street Landing years ago, which of course went nowhere.

We had this discussion a while ago about the possiblity chris:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...l=gilmore&st=15

Basically:

Gilmore has an option on the parking lot next door now to expand

He wants to build a 1500 - 2000 seat theatre on that lot

He plans to work with a NATIONAL LIVE THEATRE CHAIN COMPANY. Anyone know any other national theatre/live music joint operators other than House of Blues?

He also talked about possibly building a boutique hotel on the site (aka House of Blues and House of Blues Hotel?)

Rumor has it that House of Blues is looking to open another location in either Detroit (near Ford Field) or somewhere else between Chicago and Cleveland

Thanks Chris.

Care to expound on that?

While I want to belive that GR has enought signifigance and is growing fast enought to warrent a major "landmark" chain to consider a downtown location. I still have a hard time thinking that GR has enought buzz and draw for these types of establishments. Although we really could use a solid theater type music venue.

Again please let me say that Grand Rapids is often top rated for its entertainment and recreational value. We outrate big cities... why not capatilze on this market? Just thinking and speculating we're a 1900s Grand Rapids isn't going to get us anywhere.

my 2 cents

A House of Blues would surprise me too (pleasantly). Too over-exuberant to hope?

Rockford Construction really pulled a full court press on HOB to commit to Cherry Street Landing. They went to the International Conferenence of Shopping Centers convention in Vegas, and met with HOB and a few others. But it looks like Ford Field in downtown Detroit has HOB all but signed, sealed and delivered. And HOB has already said that they wouldn't put more than one location in Michigan, so barring a miracle, looks like we won't be getting one.

That is the last information that I have heard, but hopefully something will change. In the world of development, everything is always fluid until the shovel hits the dirt.

Well hopefully Greg can pull together some kind of live music venue/theatre like HOB. That would still be sweet!! Are there any other operators of venues like that in other cities (other than small privately owned joints)?

There's always Hard Rock Cafe (maybe we've discussed it, i can't remember). I was at one in Montreal and they had a great band. Although it was weird when they covered US songs, but sang them in french, and I could only tell what it was by the music :blink::huh:

Archived