South Pass Development

mcheiss

I heard about this development, and decided to make a topic out of it.

The Development, called South Pass Development, will include 800 acresDesign can begin for a 200-acre community park in southwest Fayetteville. Southpass Developments plans to add a mixture of residential subdivisions, multifamily housing and light retail to land surrounding the park, including more than a 1,000 units on 500 acres of the land, including houses, apartments, hotels, retail and even churches and schools.

Southpass Development will deed about 239 acres, including 39 acres that was a former landfill, to the city. The remainder of the property will primarily include residential development, said John Nock, one of the site's developers. That land will be used to develop a big city-wide park. Southpass won't be Fayetteville

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard about this development, and decided to make a topic out of it.

The Development, called South Pass Development, will include 800 acresDesign can begin for a 200-acre community park in southwest Fayetteville. Southpass Developments plans to add a mixture of residential subdivisions, multifamily housing and light retail to land surrounding the park, including more than a 1,000 units on 500 acres of the land, including houses, apartments, hotels, retail and even churches and schools.

Southpass Development will deed about 239 acres, including 39 acres that was a former landfill, to the city. The remainder of the property will primarily include residential development, said John Nock, one of the site's developers. That land will be used to develop a big city-wide park. Southpass won't be Fayetteville

Yeah that's the regional park I was talking about earlier. Although I hadn't heard so much on the development on some of the land. I also didn't realize they would develop so much land.

It sounds like a pretty nice development.

It could add a few thousand residents to the city.

I'm pretty sure they want to even create townhomes and multi-story apartments.

It sounds like a pretty nice development.

It could add a few thousand residents to the city.

I'm pretty sure they want to even create townhomes and multi-story apartments.

Yeah and it's also on the south side of town. If there's one area of town that could use some work it's the south side. Although it's not all that bad, but it is where the industrial park and many of the factories are at.

• 1 year later...

Not much has been said about this topic in quite some time. I guess they are getting closer to getting started on it though. There is a meeting coming up at the Cosmopolitan Hotel and will be open to everyone. Here is the info on the meeting if anyone wants to go. Could be a good chance to get some info or pictures on this long awaited development.

Nock Investments and Urban Design Associates will host a public meeting to

update the public for the plans for the SouthPass Development Project located

off Cato Springs Road. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 27 at the

Cosmopolitan Hotel at 7:00pm. Members of the City Council, Planning Commission,

Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, City Staff, citizens and members of the

press are invited to attend.

Not much has been said about this topic in quite some time. I guess they are getting closer to getting started on it though. There is a meeting coming up at the Cosmopolitan Hotel and will be open to everyone. Here is the info on the meeting if anyone wants to go. Could be a good chance to get some info or pictures on this long awaited development.

Nock Investments and Urban Design Associates will host a public meeting to

update the public for the plans for the SouthPass Development Project located

off Cato Springs Road. The meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, March 27 at the

Cosmopolitan Hotel at 7:00pm. Members of the City Council, Planning Commission,

Parks and Recreation Advisory Board, City Staff, citizens and members of the

press are invited to attend.

I've been looking forward to this development since they originally announced it. I hope it doesn't dissapoint.

The last I heard this project was in the Greenland School District and they wouldn't give it up to Fayetteville School District. If that is still the case then the project will have a tough time being successful.

Yes, part of the project is or was in the Greenland district. I hope they can get something changed on that. There was mention of an new Fayetteville elementary school in the development when it nears build out.

I was hoping to make it to the meeting last night but did not get to make it. They had a small article in the Times this morning but the only picture was too small to tell what it was exactly. Otherwise I believe that everyone really thought that it is going to be one of the greatest developments in the city. It will take time to finish though. I believe it is on a ten year build out.

Here is the article: Southpass

I was hoping to make it to the meeting last night but did not get to make it. They had a small article in the Times this morning but the only picture was too small to tell what it was exactly. Otherwise I believe that everyone really thought that it is going to be one of the greatest developments in the city. It will take time to finish though. I believe it is on a ten year build out.

Here is the article: Southpass

How do you think this project stacks up to Park West in Fayetteville?

How do you think this project stacks up to Park West in Fayetteville?

These projects are on completely different scales. Southpass will have around 1000 acres compared to PWs 140 acres. Southpass will only have around 200,000 sq ft of commercial compared to over 800,000 for PW. Southpass will have more residences at around 2400 but PW is not too far behind with around 1700 residences. Too me, I would have to say that PW is much more urban and dense compared to the somewhat spead out Southpass. Both have some advantages though. Southpass will have the 200 acre regional park and PW will have a better location in NW Fayetteville. PW may also be very near a new Fayetteville High School.

They are both going to be New Urbanism developments as far as I know and they will both do very well.

• 1 month later...

I just found a blog which shows a picture of the proposed SouthPass development site plan. I was very excited to see this and it exceeds my expectations!

Here is a link:

http://valsbien.blogspot.com/2007/03/fayet...ss-project.html

Thanks for the link. This is going to be an amazing project if it does finally get off of the ground. It also looks like they have included an ampitheater in the middle. This would be a much better place for it than the mall parking lot. This should make most of the area residents happy since it include so many parks and so much greenspace.

Here is the site plan.

479319469_b2713e7fcb_b.jpg

Thanks for the link. This is going to be an amazing project if it does finally get off of the ground. It also looks like they have included an ampitheater in the middle. This would be a much better place for it than the mall parking lot. This should make most of the area residents happy since it include so many parks and so much greenspace.

Here is the site plan.

479319469_b2713e7fcb_b.jpg

I don't see any sand volleyball courts in there. :( I thought they were going to include them.

It definitely is a nice plan, but seems to be too far away from NWA businesses and not needed yet because of infill development needs. I'd rather have traditional neighborhoods (not subdivisions) developed/redeveloped.

I don't see any sand volleyball courts in there. :( I thought they were going to include them.

It definitely is a nice plan, but seems to be too far away from NWA businesses and not needed yet because of infill development needs. I'd rather have traditional neighborhoods (not subdivisions) developed/redeveloped.

It is only 5 minutes from the university and less than 10 from downtown Fayetteville. I do agree that infill is a major priority now, but this is based on a 200 acre regional park and this project will take close to a decade for buildout. This will not be a bunch of vacant houses next year.

I just found a blog which shows a picture of the proposed SouthPass development site plan. I was very excited to see this and it exceeds my expectations!

Here is a link:

http://valsbien.blogspot.com/2007/03/fayet...ss-project.html

Very nice! I really like the Regional Park, but I think the Town Center should be scaled down. The size of it would keep many people from doing business in downtown Fayetteville or the Mall area. And there are several of these developments with large Town Centers planned in Fayetteville.

Another fantastic development.

Folks, every time one of these types of projects gets off the ground in Fayetteville, it only increases the quality of life and makes Fayetteville MORE attractive to other investment in the future.

With this in the south, and Park West and Wellspring in the North, Fayetteville is going to be bookended by great mixed use, NU planned communities.

If the city can continue to encourage this type of smart development, the payoff down the road will be invaluable.

I'm just glad I own my home NOW and won't be trying to buy one in Yuppieville in 5-10 years. :shades:

It is only 5 minutes from the university and less than 10 from downtown Fayetteville. I do agree that infill is a major priority now, but this is based on a 200 acre regional park and this project will take close to a decade for buildout. This will not be a bunch of vacant houses next year.

Yeah it's not that I won't benefit from it. I'll be living only a mile away from those parks. Hopefully our latest invention of urban dreamworks from Nock and such will come true.

Yeah it's not that I won't benefit from it. I'll be living only a mile away from those parks. Hopefully our latest invention of urban dreamworks from Nock and such will come true.

Yeah, Nock's group really needs something big to come true. Once they finish just one of these large talked about projects, then I think that the pressure will ease some. I think the same is for the Barber group too, if they can ever get a project finished and the space filled.

Yes very interesting. While I would also like to see more infill and redevelopment, I wonder if much is going to happen until the city provides incentives for it. Otherwise I think most developers will continue to develop on the outskirts of Fayetteville.

• 3 weeks later...

There was a small article in the Times about Southpass today. It basically said that the project is about to get started this summer. Hopefully, it was be much faster than the other large John Nock project underway. The article was not that informative but there were some new renderings. Or at least new to me. This looks like a very impressive project and extremely large one. It will someday be home to over 5000 people. The Fayetteville School District will also be looking at putting in an Elementary school in the development in the future.

This is the site plan.

517879652_0f615706e5_o.jpg

Here is a birds eye view looking North, I believe.

517879654_f6fbdb9a30_o.jpg

This is called the millrace district.

517879658_cd5142fd5c_o.jpg

This is the town center. It was not coming up properly so here is a link.

Southpass Town Center

Archived