South Pass Development

mcheiss

That town center looks amazing, but I have to woner how long it will take for that to be built.

It will probably be a minimum of a 10 year build out. I can't imagion it being much quicker than that. I would hope that they would start with the park space to bring in regional tournaments and then let the housing and commercial build off of that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will probably be a minimum of a 10 year build out. I can't imagion it being much quicker than that. I would hope that they would start with the park space to bring in regional tournaments and then let the housing and commercial build off of that.

It looks like it could take at least as long as Her-Ber Village in Springdale took to build out. They are just now getting around to building the town center portion and it's not nearly as impressive as Southpass's plan.

There was a small article in the Times about Southpass today. It basically said that the project is about to get started this summer. Hopefully, it was be much faster than the other large John Nock project underway. The article was not that informative but there were some new renderings. Or at least new to me. This looks like a very impressive project and extremely large one. It will someday be home to over 5000 people. The Fayetteville School District will also be looking at putting in an Elementary school in the development in the future.

Wow--that is an amazing, ambitious project. You gotta hand it to ol' Nock--he is a man of vision. I hope they can actually do this one. It would be fantastic.

Wow--that is an amazing, ambitious project. You gotta hand it to ol' Nock--he is a man of vision. I hope they can actually do this one. It would be fantastic.

If he doesn't get it done, maybe he can try the video game industry.

I'm still split on this one, it just seems Fayetteville is at Dickson street, not at Southpass. It should be its own town.

It sounds like South Pass could be a great amenity for Fayetteville. Financing it will be a challenge and depend on the various developers involved in the residential and commercial sections. At least they're being realistic about the time it will take to build out. I'm sure by 2020 it will be one of the nicest neighborhoods in Fayetteville.

• 6 months later...

There was a promising article in the Times the other day. They are hoping to start the 400 acre regional park at Southpass as early as this spring. With Nock's record on starting other big projects, I will believe it when I see it. The first phase of the massive 1000 acre project will the the "Downtown" portion of this New Urbanist development as well as the park itself. The park could include baseball, soccer, softball, biking, hiking facilities and 2 amphitheaters.

Here is more info on the project from the Times: South Pass

I understand being skeptical. I'm pleased with the Lofts at Underwood, don't get me wrong, but until there's any evidence that his hotel downtown might get built, or that he's spent a fraction of the money claimed on it, I have a hard time getting excited about any more huge developments that might just be dreams.

Yeah I can't see any reason why he would continue with his Southpass plans yet. This has to be just more developer-speak. I believe the park will have the better chance of being developed right now, but I kind of wish this kind of development could be layed on top of Walker park and surrounding neighborhood instead of sprawling outward.

• 5 months later...

This appears to be moving forward. Not a bad week for development in NWA. Confirmation of this excellent mixed use neighborhood and giant park, as well as an 11 story tower approved in Rogers:

http://www.nwanews.com/nwat/News/65397/

Yeah I saw a mention of this in the paper today. Yeah certainly nice to see some development news for a change. Thanks for the link.

• 1 month later...

Southpass could come to the Planning Commission as early as this month. It is good to finally see this project start moving forward. The city sized development will contain 4300 residential units, a commercial core, churches, schools, and a 200+ acre community park.

Here is the article from the Times: Southpass

• 2 weeks later...

The city is starting to take a closer look at the development. I knew it was big but I guess I just didn't realize just how big it will be. It's 910 acres, basically the size of a small town. The developers plan on doing it in 8 phases in the next 20-25 years. The first phase is planned to take about three years to complete once it is approved by the city and would include part of the regional park and the Crescent Park neighborhood. The project will have 809 single familiy lots, 2,881 multifamily units, 630 condos, the 200 acre regional park and 344,000 square feet of nonresidential space. Sometime I need to look around and see if I can find a map of the land that will be involved in all of this.

• 2 weeks later...

A recent traffic study done for the Southpass development shows that once the project is fully complete in the estimated 20-25 years there would be over 40,000 vehicles counts. So the city is already looking into widening Cato Springs Rd. Granted it's going to be a while before the development will be completed, and that's assuming nothing happens and it's completed on time. But I guess it does tend to take a while to get roads widened as well so maybe it's not a bad idea to plan this far ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Southpass has been tabled for the third time by the city. I guess with it being such a large development theirs a lot to be worked out. But I'm also wondering if this is a sign that the city might not give it the go ahead. The developers might have to keep compromising to get the the city to eventually approve it.

Part of this is backlash from the Ren. Tower. Did you see in the most recent article that a council member/members had mentioned concerns about the "credibility" of the developers, Nock and Alexander, and their connection with this project? We knew it would start to happen eventually.

Part of this is backlash from the Ren. Tower. Did you see in the most recent article that a council member/members had mentioned concerns about the "credibility" of the developers, Nock and Alexander, and their connection with this project? We knew it would start to happen eventually.

Good point. Maybe this will be even more incentive for them to get something going over there. I admit it is a bit frustrating to see them having so many developments going at once when the Renaissance sit is just sitting there.

Right are wrong, this backlash from incomplete projects is bound to be a factor......

Kessler Mountain is a very beautiful part of our city, or soon to be part of.

I don't necessarily think a huge development out there is what's best for that land. I hope if this goes forward, that a LOT of that land is dedicated to parkland and preservation. The trails on Kessler Mountain make you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

Archived