South Pass Development

mcheiss

Thanks for the insight on FEDC and Green Valley- I do realize that the city government had little input on the decison making of FEDC. It's regrettable that they and the city didn't try to work out better arrangement that would have included city funding . That's where I question how the new administration has handled the situation- it may be possible that no matter what the mayor suggested to FEDC that they would have refused to work with him but with a offer of city funding it doesn't seem likely.

The thing is that the FEDC and the Chamber really CAN'T accept city funds or else they would be open to the FOIA and that is something that an organization like this really doesn't want. I know the A&P commission gives money to the CVB and so the CVB is open to FOIA requests, but that isn't a big deal there as their mission is vastly different.

• 7 months later...

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Southpass is in the news again- seems the developers haven't turned over a deed to the parkland they promised yet and the city will deny them a extension of development approval if they haven't done so by April of next year. Denying the extension wouldn't completely kill the project as the developers could come back with the same plan later although with the changes in the Planning Commission, City Council and city administration another approval may not go through.

Southpass is in the news again- seems the developers haven't turned over a deed to the parkland they promised yet and the city will deny them a extension of development approval if they haven't done so by April of next year. Denying the extension wouldn't completely kill the project as the developers could come back with the same plan later although with the changes in the Planning Commission, City Council and city administration another approval may not go through.

I wonder why the developers haven't turned it over. While I know many developers aren't in the best of shape right now, I'm not sure what would be preventing them turning over the land.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if this development is dead or not? Havent heard a thing about it and no activity on the site.

Mark

Does anyone know if this development is dead or not? Havent heard a thing about it and no activity on the site.

Mark

Just that the bank has control of it- the developers are waiting on them to decide what they want to do (as is the city).

I don't mean to bust the city's chops here, but I get the feeling they're beating a dead horse. Let it go! A lot of builders promised a lot of things during the height of the building boom only to be leave behind half-built projects struggling thru bankruptcy court.. Maybe the city would be best served to table this idea of a regional park, and acquiring the land that goes with it, until the development actually happens -- which will probably be years away. In a way we're lucky that the developers never really got started on this project. How many other projects in Fayetteville (e.g. Ruskin Heights) went belly-up only after they scarred up the land and left a bigger mess for the city to clean up?

I'm sure that having another 200 acres given to the city would be nice, but I see no value in having a regional park on the extreme southwest edge of the city that wouldn't be used to it's full potential. If the city wants to focus on building a new city park -- one that would actually be withing walking or bike riding distance -- I wish they would focus on the 200 acres they already own on Persimmon Street just north of the new sewer plant on the west side of town. It seems much more viable.

Just my opinion, tho.

I don't mean to bust the city's chops here, but I get the feeling they're beating a dead horse. Let it go! A lot of builders promised a lot of things during the height of the building boom only to be leave behind half-built projects struggling thru bankruptcy court.. Maybe the city would be best served to table this idea of a regional park, and acquiring the land that goes with it, until the development actually happens -- which will probably be years away. In a way we're lucky that the developers never really got started on this project. How many other projects in Fayetteville (e.g. Ruskin Heights) went belly-up only after they scarred up the land and left a bigger mess for the city to clean up?

I'm sure that having another 200 acres given to the city would be nice, but I see no value in having a regional park on the extreme southwest edge of the city that wouldn't be used to it's full potential. If the city wants to focus on building a new city park -- one that would actually be withing walking or bike riding distance -- I wish they would focus on the 200 acres they already own on Persimmon Street just north of the new sewer plant on the west side of town. It seems much more viable.

Just my opinion, tho.

I see where you're coming from. But I think it might also be helpful if the developers just came out and admitted that this development was going nowhere as well. But as you said there are other spots the city could focus on. Didn't the city buy a lot of land somewhere in the vicinity of Mt Sequoyah a couple of years ago? Granted it's probably not 200 acres. That and I think the purpose was to protect the forested land west of Mt Sequoyah.

• 2 months later...

Fayetteville has received the 200 acres of park land that it was promised although it came from the bank instead of the developers that made the deal for it. The bank has foreclosed on the property and says it still intends to move forward with the project but that seems unlikely. At this point it seems more likely an investor will buy it and sit on it for a long time which is probably better for the city anyway. The park was always a good idea and the sprawl development a bad idea so this situation has turned out as well as could be expected.

Fayetteville has received the 200 acres of park land that it was promised although it came from the bank instead of the developers that made the deal for it. The bank has foreclosed on the property and says it still intends to move forward with the project but that seems unlikely. At this point it seems more likely an investor will buy it and sit on it for a long time which is probably better for the city anyway. The park was always a good idea and the sprawl development a bad idea so this situation has turned out as well as could be expected.

Thanks for the update. I had been wondering where everything stood.

Archived