Pics of the Architecture of E Fay Jones

I have discussed E Fay Jones before and I have wanted to eventually get a topic with pictures of some of his work. He was rather well known in Arkansas although I'm not sure how much he is known outside the state. He did design buildings outside the state but much of his work remains in the state. I've posted a few pics of some of his structures before but wanted to start off with some I haven't posted. I took this earlier in the year. Unfortunately my pics from Thorncrown Chapel didn't turn out too well. So I'm only going with a few that I thought were okay. It's his most well know building. I can't remember what group it was but someone ranked all the buildings of the 20th century and Thorncrown Chapel ended up pretty high. I can't remember the exact rank offhand but I believe it was in the top ten. Thorncrown Chapel is just to the west of Eureka Springs. The rest of the pics are of Cooper Memorial Chapel in Bella Vista. Whereas Thorncrown is all wood, Cooper Memorial does use some steel. It's not anywhere as well known as Thorncrown. I hope to eventually post other pics and also take some more roadtrips and take some more pics of some of these structures.

ar017ao.jpg

ar029vg.jpg

ar038cq.jpg

ar059ax.jpg

ar064tw.jpg

ar070pq.jpg

ar083vq.jpg

ar091ir.jpg

ar107el.jpg

ar119ue.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cooper Memorial Chapel in Bella Vista.

I thought that was probably what you meant since it's somewhat close to you. It really is a nice place, although it gets overshadowed by Thorncrown. I had gone to both on one day earlier in the year. Thorncrown was packed and there was a couple of buses of tourists there. When I went to Cooper Memorial there was one person leaving when I went in and then I had the whole place to myself.

There was a neat exhibit at the Old State House Museum a year or two ago about Fay Jones' architecture that had a lot of models, pictures, and videos of all of his works, not just those in Arkansas. It was interesting, though there is impressive similarity in his buildings.

There was rumor for a while that the Clinton Library area was going to have a freestanding chapel designed by Fay Jones but I guess that fell through.

There was a neat exhibit at the Old State House Museum a year or two ago about Fay Jones' architecture that had a lot of models, pictures, and videos of all of his works, not just those in Arkansas. It was interesting, though there is impressive similarity in his buildings.

There was rumor for a while that the Clinton Library area was going to have a freestanding chapel designed by Fay Jones but I guess that fell through.

Yeah I do admit he does tend to use certain themes a lot. But I still really like his work. Although sometimes you do have to look around a little to find some of his different structures. I believe he did a church that's somewhere around the Ft Worth area. I've seen a few pics of it before and I thought it looked interesting and a bit different than most of his church/chapels.

• 2 months later...

I came across this home while walking around. This isn't too far southeast of the Fayetteville Public Library. Don't think I've heard or seen any mention of this home in any of the books or websites I've seen about E Fay Jones' architecture.

img0439s4pu.jpg

img0440s9zz.jpg

img0441s1an.jpg

img0442s8om.jpg

img0443s3mj.jpg

img0444s5sz.jpg

img0445s3iq.jpg

img0446s4jq.jpg

The Tower is about the only thing that reminds me of Fay Jones in those pictures.

I can really see it in the house too. He designed a number of houses that has that look. Course it might help if I could take closer pics and also take pics inside. But I don't know how well that would go over. :lol:

I can really see it in the house too. He designed a number of houses that has that look. Course it might help if I could take closer pics and also take pics inside. But I don't know how well that would go over. :lol:

Yeah, the exterior of that house isn't the Fay Jones look I'm familiar to.

Speaking of E Fay Jones, there was an article in today's Morning News about one of his houses. Apparently a Jewish group wants to buy what's known as the Butterfly House and turn it into a synagogue. Right now they rent space to hold services or share space with a Jewish group on campus. Apparently the house has a modern synagogue 'feel' to it. It mentions the street it's on so I'll have to go see if I can take a pic of it sometime.

Speaking of E Fay Jones, there was an article in today's Morning News about one of his houses. Apparently a Jewish group wants to buy what's known as the Butterfly House and turn it into a synagogue. Right now they rent space to hold services or share space with a Jewish group on campus. Apparently the house has a modern synagogue 'feel' to it. It mentions the street it's on so I'll have to go see if I can take a pic of it sometime.

I heard about that. The neighbors are complaning that it will cause traffic or something like that.

I heard about that. The neighbors are complaning that it will cause traffic or something like that.

Yeah I think that's the only setback for it. I believe it's over by the Mt Sequoyah area. I admit some of those roads aren't made to handle much traffic. But I'm not sure if this synagogue would cause that big of a problem. It would be nice for Fayetteville to get a permanent synagogue.

Seems like the Mt. Sequoya residents do nothing but complain about how anyone who wants to build there will cause traffic. I don't know about a Synagogue but the Mt. Sequoya Retreat Center doesn't seem to cause a traffic problem.

Mt. Sequoya made the news this week when they argued about a possible apartment complex that might be built there.

While I was up in Benton County I thought I might as well try to take a quick trip up to see the Cooper Memorial Chapel in Bella Vista. Sorry for the first pic, not sure I got so lopsided. I tried to take what pics I could on the inside. But they were getting ready for a wedding for tonight so I was limited a bit. I'll just have to go back after I get my wide angle lens anyway.

img0766s8kx.jpg

img0767s0eq.jpg

img0770s2pa.jpg

img0773s1hg.jpg

img0780s0qu.jpg

img0781s6tk.jpg

img0782s6ec.jpg

I also have some pics of another building designed by E Fay Jones that's nearby and houses the office. I'll post those later.

I agree. You really should watermark most of your pics. It would be a shame it someone else was to credit for them. Especially if they made money for them which many of your pics probably would.

Hey Mith, while you were at Cooper Memorial Chapel did you happen to take the walking path that goes around the chapel? There's some great views of one of Bella Vista's gorgeous lakes there and there are some great spots to just sit on one of the garden benches and just chill.

Archived