Pics of the Architecture of E Fay Jones

I agree. You really should watermark most of your pics. It would be a shame it someone else was to credit for them. Especially if they made money for them which many of your pics probably would.

Hey Mith, while you were at Cooper Memorial Chapel did you happen to take the walking path that goes around the chapel? There's some great views of one of Bella Vista's gorgeous lakes there and there are some great spots to just sit on one of the garden benches and just chill.

I hadn't worried about it at first but now I basically scale down my pics to a smaller size to generally around 800X600. That way I still have my larger original I can do more with. I've considered it but of course that wouldn't stop everyone if they really wanted it. But I suppose it's still something I should consider more.

I've walked around the trail before. I didn't really this time because I was really getting low on time. I hadn't really planned on going to Bella Vista today. But once I was up there I thought it might be nice to take a few pics while I was in Benton County with my new camera. Course now I"ll have to go back once I get my new wide angle lens in. :D

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay here's some pics of the building housing the office. It's closer to the lake. Anyone know what the name of the lake is? I've seen it on a map but there wasn't a name listed. It's not one of the the bigger lakes of Bella Vista. The last shot is just of the lake.

img0789s1gx.jpg

img0790s3sl.jpg

img0791s8yw.jpg

img0793s3ow.jpg

img0795s3zx.jpg

img0786s8ds.jpg

Anyone know what the name of the lake is? I've seen it on a map but there wasn't a name listed. It's not one of the the bigger lakes of Bella Vista. The last shot is just of the lake.
That would be Lake Norwood. It's one of the two smallest lakes in Bella Vista.

May'be we can get condos at this lake a bit easier. :lol:
Not sure Bella Vista would go for it. If you think the Beaver Lakers were protective of their "private heaven" imagine how the Bella Visters would react. But for an idea of what Bella Vista lakes would be prime for condos here's the link to Lakes in Beautiful Bella Vista.

That would be Lake Norwood. It's one of the two smallest lakes in Bella Vista.

Not sure Bella Vista would go for it. If you think the Beaver Lakers were protective of their "private heaven" imagine how the Bella Visters would react. But for an idea of what Bella Vista lakes would be prime for condos here's the link to Lakes in Beautiful Bella Vista.

Thanks for the info. :D

Sounds like plans to rezone the Butterfly House to let it become a synagogue could happen tonight. If it is approved then the only thing holding the plans back is the money. Apparently around $1 Mil is needed to buy the house and then convert it into a synagogue. It sounded like they still had a way to go but sounds like someone made an anonymous $500,000 donation so it sounds like they're still just a little under. Maybe this coming weekend I can try to go find it and take a few pics of it.

I heard it came with some exceptions like restricted parking. There were 12 others, but I can't remember them.

I got the impression that the items like the restricted parking were official yet, just being possible. I'll have to read a little more thouroughly in my paper today.

Sounds like the synagogue issue isn't going to go away just like the Grandview Heights over on Beaver Lake. The 'neighbors' apparently think that the Planning Commission isn't being consistent and that if one of them lived in the neighborhood it would have been turned down. Supposedly 95% os the people in the neighborhood are against the synagogue being built in their neighborhood. I can't help but wonder if there would be so much opposition to this if it were say a small Christian group wanted to turn it into a chapel for services.

Supposedly 95% os the people in the neighborhood are against the synagogue being built in their neighborhood. I can't help but wonder if there would be so much opposition to this if it were say a small Christian group wanted to turn it into a chapel for services.

I think that's the main concern here. I'm sure a small christian chapel would have been approved hands down.

I think that's the main concern here. I'm sure a small christian chapel would have been approved hands down.

I hate to oversimplify. I think more than religion is involved here. I think it is mainly a concern of traffic and so on. But I do wonder if there would have been so much negative outcry if it had been as I said before a small Christian chapel.

I've actually found the Butterfly House on Google Earth. Maybe if it's not raining tomorrow I can get a few pics of it. But anyway the info Google Earth has is pretty up to date. I noticed aside from across the street there's not really any houses near the Butterfly House. Looks to me that there would be plenty of room if they had to put in a small parking lot. But I guess the biggest problem still for the locals is the 'traffic' a possible synagogue would have.

Okay finally some more pics. :D I have a friend who really likes this house a lot so I took quite a few shots of it. That and I stayed around just to annoy the neighbors too. :lol: They all looked at me while they drove by. What's funny is that there are new houses being built around the same area. If they're so concerned about traffic why don't they find a way to stop those too? Anyway here's the pics of E Fay Jones' Butterfly House.

92667880_983a93df12_o.jpg

92667882_80cc9b2329_o.jpg

92667884_fe06d78183_o.jpg

92667886_b25fe294d4_o.jpg

92667887_0f796a01ed_o.jpg

92667890_2804714fb7_o.jpg

92668265_78829b3a46_o.jpg

92668266_18b4036a3d_o.jpg

92668267_2224efa967_o.jpg

92668269_29197454da_o.jpg

92668270_e1c2663967_o.jpg

^

The reason they were staring was that they probably thought you were the rabbi or something taking pics of the new location. :lol:

Great Pics though.

I was imaging this to have more of a Jewish feel, but it doesn't seem that way to me.

I don't think I look particularly Jewish. :D No I'm sure it was scorn of the added traffic I caused on their street. :lol: I guess I hadn't thought much about what a building with a 'Jewish' feel would be like. But according to what I hear it's very much in style of the newer type synagogues. Perhaps I should say small newer synagogues.

I don't think I look particularly Jewish. :D No I'm sure it was scorn of the added traffic I caused on their street. :lol: I guess I hadn't thought much about what a building with a 'Jewish' feel would be like. But according to what I hear it's very much in style of the newer type synagogues. Perhaps I should say small newer synagogues.

I love that building.

Wow. I never knew that was in Fayetteville.

Thanks for the pics.

I love that building.

Wow. I never knew that was in Fayetteville.

Thanks for the pics.

No problem, I've been wanting to slowly get some pics of as many of E Fay Jones' work as I can. I think it's interesting you knew about the house but didn't know it was in Fayetteville. Of course I admit of the houses I've seen pics or diagrams of I don't know which ones are in the city of Fayetteville and which are scattered about elsewhere. I've gotten the impression he has a number of houses in Fayetteville. They might not stand out as much like the Butterfly House. Have you heard any mention of a 'Treehouse' built by him? There's a building that sticks up a bit above the treeline around Old Missouri Rd. Back in the early days of the Arkansas forum, someone was saying that was a house done by him as well but I've seen now reference of it being his. I'll have to go back now that I have a camera with some zoom. Although I haven't had any luck finding how to exactly get up to the house itself.

No problem, I've been wanting to slowly get some pics of as many of E Fay Jones' work as I can. I think it's interesting you knew about the house but didn't know it was in Fayetteville. Of course I admit of the houses I've seen pics or diagrams of I don't know which ones are in the city of Fayetteville and which are scattered about elsewhere. I've gotten the impression he has a number of houses in Fayetteville. They might not stand out as much like the Butterfly House. Have you heard any mention of a 'Treehouse' built by him? There's a building that sticks up a bit above the treeline around Old Missouri Rd. Back in the early days of the Arkansas forum, someone was saying that was a house done by him as well but I've seen now reference of it being his. I'll have to go back now that I have a camera with some zoom. Although I haven't had any luck finding how to exactly get up to the house itself.

I'm just a big fan of Arts & Crafts style architecture. I am not an expert on it, more of a fetish....

Probably has something to do with my earliest tv memories being of the Brady Bunch and their home was very A&C.

I have seen that house or something very similar in a couple of architecture books I own.

I was just saying I love that house based on the pics you took.

I'm just a big fan of Arts & Crafts style architecture. I am not an expert on it, more of a fetish....

Probably has something to do with my earliest tv memories being of the Brady Bunch and their home was very A&C.

I have seen that house or something very similar in a couple of architecture books I own.

I was just saying I love that house based on the pics you took.

Ah, I see. :D I'm a pretty big fan of E Fay Jones. Although I can see some people's arguments about it all looking rather similar. His chapels do have a very similar look to most of them. His houses are a big different but overall you can see similar themes in them as well. But I guess the way I see it, he found something good that worked for him and he stuck to it. Of course I'm also probably biased because he lived up here and was from Arkansas.

Ah, I see. :D I'm a pretty big fan of E Fay Jones. Although I can see some people's arguments about it all looking rather similar. His chapels do have a very similar look to most of them. His houses are a big different but overall you can see similar themes in them as well. But I guess the way I see it, he found something good that worked for him and he stuck to it. Of course I'm also probably biased because he lived up here and was from Arkansas.

It does all look similar.

But its in a style, like the work of just about any other artist.

I believe his take on Arts & Crafts is one of the more light and "modern" ones. Its more geometrically complex without losing its organic feel.

I like it a lot.

It does all look similar.

But its in a style, like the work of just about any other artist.

I believe his take on Arts & Crafts is one of the more light and "modern" ones. Its more geometrically complex without losing its organic feel.

I like it a lot.

:offtopic:

Sorry to get off topic here, but speaking of organic styles what do you think of Antonio Gaudi's work? :D

Archived