New Urbanism in SC

Spartan

The topic in the Charleston 2030 thread has encouraged me to create a list and general discussion thread for new urbanism in SC.

Charleston

Columbia

Greenville

• Verdae

• Acadia (Powdersville)

• Verdmont (Simpsonville)

Other

Fort Mill - Baxter Village - http://www.villageofbaxter.com/

North Augusta - Hammond's Ferry - http://www.northaugustariverfront.com/

I know I left some links out, feel free to provide them...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Updated!)

I have seen some preliminary master plans for Magnolia. They are still trying to decide between 3 or 4 different ones. All of them involve relocating I-26, and creating a 'downtown' feel. Its really a fascinating project.

I thought that Verdmont WAS the new thing in Simpsonville? I could be wrong though.

There is also a project going up out near the stadium, no its not the condos planned for the area, it is supposed to be an urban village as well. I wish I could remember where it was. Also has anyone seen the old saxon homes area. I've seen photos of that area and they have fixed it up really well.

I think you are a talking about the housing development that will be built in the location of the former Hendley Homes on Risewood Drive. The plans for the project look great. I am excited about the future of the area around the stadium, including Olympia, Rosewood and Bluff Road.

I thought that Verdmont WAS the new thing in Simpsonville? I could be wrong though.

No, I thought we've known about Verdmont for a while now. Actually from looking just now, it seems that Verdmont is already open and running, but it is a little sort of community. It has a farmers market. but This new development isn't much past design if it is at all. It's a new 1000 home neighborhood and suppose to be like the Augusta Rd area in lifestyle. :thumbsup:

I found out some info here... This new project west of Simpsonville doesn't have an official name just yet. Its tentatively called the Reedy River Project. Its in the West Georgia Rd and Fork Shoals Rd area. Actually SE of that intersection. Its definately a new urbanist development. Its loosely based on the Augusta Rd area. Narrower streets are definatley going to be prominent there.

You may want to watch the news on channel 4 at 11. They will probably have some info about it there, if not tonight then I'm sure they will tomorrow.

I found out some info here... This new project west of Simpsonville doesn't have an official name just yet. Its tentatively called the Reedy River Project. Its in the West Georgia Rd and Fork Shoals Rd area. Actually SE of that intersection. Its definately a new urbanist development. Its loosely based on the Augusta Rd area. Narrower streets are definatley going to be prominent there.

You may want to watch the news on channel 4 at 11. They will probably have some info about it there, if not tonight then I'm sure they will tomorrow.

Dunno..there's something vaguely unsettling about this I'on project. A detailed re-creation of downtown Charleston, almost. All this for only $1.6 million per copy. Inherently elitist and exclusive, by design. A morbid obsession with a semi-aristocratic past built upon slavery and the cotton gin. I wouldn't want to live around a bunch of ferociously snobbish transplanted Carolina Yacht Club types, who just sold the ancestral mansion on Atlantic St. for $4mm., and moved over to I'on for $1.5mm, pocketing the difference.

I'On is not a recreation of downtown Charleston at all. You can see that it is influence by it though. I'On was supposed to have many more affordable units in it and it was suppoesd to be denser, but the citizens of Mount Pleasant revolted against that. So what you see is a less dense and more expensive place.

Archived