• Announcements

• Neo

WARNING!   07/26/16

By reading or participating in the Coffee House forum, you are acknowledging that some topics may be highly controversial in nature. While we make every attempt to ensure that no one and no groups are offended as a result of discussions contained within, we unfortunately can make no guarantees. Participate in threads contained within this forum at your own risk.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monsoon

Biometric Payment Systems come to CLT

Lowes Foods has started its biometric payment system in the CLT area. Patrons of these stores, once registered, can pay for their purchases by inserting a finger into a scanner, and the amount will be charged to a pre-arranged account. No checks, no cards, no ID, or anything else is required.

In the CLT area, most Lowes foods are found on the edges of the city. Others are in the Lake Norman, Gastonia, and Ft Mill area.

Seems strange at first, but everywhere they implement biometric payment, it's popular.

Call me crazy, but I worry about who has my "fingerprint data" and where it is being stored. SSN losses are scary enough...

Call me crazy, but I worry about who has my "fingerprint data" and where it is being stored. SSN losses are scary enough...

Yeah, I can see how that's a scary thought, but fingerprints are much, much harder to fake even WITH the stolen data than is repeating a stolen SSN... or stolen info on a credit card, debit card, or checkbook for that matter. That's why biometric ID is so coveted in the information security field. As long as it's done in person it's lots safer.

Oh yeah, and Maggie Moo's has it too :)