Arkansas on Google Earth

Mith242

Sort of an odd post, but it's actually proved useful for me. I actually found something that Matt had posted by looking on Google Earth. One unfortunate thing is that only certain areas seem to have the best resolution. How these areas were picked I have no idea, like western Madison County where there really is pretty much nothing there. Little Rock and Fayetteville have good resolution. But most of the other larger Arkansas cities don't. It seems to be just west of Hot Springs. Of course these maps aren't necessarily the most up to date. I noticed on Fayetteville's that Razorback Stadium hasn't been remodeled yet. But if you're looking for closer details of Fayetteville or Little Rock it could actually prove useful. It's also fun to look around other areas of the country and the world too. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone hadn't heard about it or didn't have it. Here's a link to their site, where you can download it if you want. Hopefully I'm not breaking any UP rules with this. If so please let me know.

Google Earth

You can 'thumbtack' locations, maybe this could be useful for when we are trying to tell others outside our city the location of certain developments or buildings. Just a thought.

• 7 months later...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Central Arkansas has been updated on Google Earth, The Clinton Library is now complete and most of Conway has been added. Rural Areas of Northeast Arkansas are also available and the Nuclear One power plant west of Russelville is now visible.

Central Arkansas has been updated on Google Earth, The Clinton Library is now complete and most of Conway has been added. Rural Areas of Northeast Arkansas are also available and the Nuclear One power plant west of Russelville is now visible.

That's awsome, thanks for the update. They must've just done this today, because when I was using it yesterday at work I hadn't notice that, nor the updated photos for parts of Jackson/Craighead counties, or Johnson County, Conway, etc.

And also, since I'm here, for those who don't know the entire state of Arkansas was just recently flown at 1 ft resolution, and I would imagine be available to Google probably this fall/winter.

Plus, a large portion (I think all of Benton and some of Washington counties) to my understanding of NWA was flown at 6" resolution, which is pretty sick. That will also for public consumption, so I'd imagine Google would pick those up too.

Someone recently showed me another site that is similar to Google Earth. Just like Google Earth, it has areas that are more current than others. But, it has an aerial view that is more three dimensional than Google Earth. Its Windows Live Local The best image I've found on this site is Razorback Stadium which affords a fantastic view. They are both great programs. As mentioned earlier, if this link violates any rules, please delete it.

Great info, I have also noticed that G.E. has updated and expanded the Pittsburgh metro but alas some of it seems to be in Winter after a heavy snowfall. I too am interested in what exactly goes into how G.E. updates thier data, I know they rely on a smorgasbord of different services to piece together their patchwork of coverage.

Google Earth is awesome. :) I love that program and I'm glad to finally be able to enjoy it at home as well.

My wife's civil design program has a new extension which allows you to model a landscape in 3D like usual, but then you can import it into Google Earth and have all your projects modeled on a real map of the Earth. This is a VERY cool new feature for civil engineers, surveyors, and designers. The program is Civil 3D by AutoDesk, the makers of AutoCAD.

• 2 months later...

lf-map.gif

I thought this population density map is interesting. The concentration of population around Central Arkansas and along I-540 is impressive.

That is impressive.

One thing that stands out to me with this map, is that the counties out west are enormous compared to everywhere else!

And the 'blood red' look of this map is kind of morbid-looking...

lf-map.gif

I thought this population density map is interesting. The concentration of population around Central Arkansas and along I-540 is impressive.

What I appreciate about Arkansas on this map is that it has both dark red counties and light pink ones. That shows nice diversity, unlike some of the (unnamed) states to the east. :P

Y'all have a nice balance between urban areas and wide-open spaces. And the wide-open spaces are visually interesting, unlike some of the (unnamed) states to the north and west.

What I appreciate about Arkansas on this map is that it has both dark red counties and light pink ones. That shows nice diversity, unlike some of the (unnamed) states to the east. :P

Y'all have a nice balance between urban areas and wide-open spaces. And the wide-open spaces are visually interesting, unlike some of the (unnamed) states to the north and west.

That's a good point. From Central or NW Arkansas it's only a short drive to an area where you can go hiking or canoeing/kayaking in a relatively pristine environment.

That's a good point. From Central or NW Arkansas it's only a short drive to an area where you can go hiking or canoeing/kayaking in a relatively pristine environment.

All of my hiking, canoeing, and kayaking is done in Arkansas, and I think the same is true for other out-of-staters. Arkansas can really capitalize on it's abundance of outdoor activities.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Google Earth, I thought I'd offer a little preview of something I've been working on:

googlepicyu9.jpg

Very interesting. I'm hoping they eventually get the software that was developed at the U of A up here. They designed some software more for use to see how a building will effect the surrounding area. We have a lot of people up here concerned with buildings blocking views of Old Main. But apparently Google Earth is very interested in it. I forgot to post that over here as well and only posted it in the NWA on Google Earth topic.

• 5 months later...

Archived