German Consulate

monsoon

I was reading an article about the large number of German firms that have locations in Charlotte (the largest concentration of German firms in the USA) and I was surprised to learn The Federal Repubic of Germany has recently opened a Consulate in Charlotte. I had missed this piece of news and wondered if anyone here knows about it. Is this the first diplomatic mission in Charlotte?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is certainly good news, but it is important to note that it's an Honorary Consulate, not a "real" consulate (Not to lessen the importance). In the South, Atlanta, Miami and Houston have Consulate Generals from Germany. Birmingham, Jackson, MS, Nashville, Greer (Greenville/Spartanburg), New Orleans, Louisville, Bonita Springs, FL (Fort Myers area), Virginia Beach (currently vacant), and Charlotte have Honorary Consulates from Germany.

In North Carolina the only "real" consulates are the ones for Mexico and Canada in Raleigh.

Here are the Honorary Consulates in NC:

Albania (Pinehurst)

Austria (Mount Holly)

Cyprus (Jacksonville)

France (Charlotte)

Germany (Charlotte)

Mexico (Charlotte)

Moldova (Hickory)

Netherlands (Raleigh)

Nicaragua (Charlotte)

Spain (Durham)

Sweden (Raleigh)

Switzerland (Charlotte)

United Kingdom (Charlotte)

Belize (Wilmington)

Source: http://www.northcarolinaconsularcorps.org/services.html

This is certainly good news, but it is important to note that it's an Honorary Consulate, not a "real" consulate (Not to lessen the importance). In the South, Atlanta, Miami and Houston have Consulate Generals from Germany. Birmingham, Jackson, MS, Nashville, Greer (Greenville/Spartanburg), New Orleans, Louisville, Bonita Springs, FL (Fort Myers area), Virginia Beach (currently vacant), and Charlotte have Honorary Consulates from Germany.

The thing that I find weird is that Charlotte has a higher concentration of German Corpoprations than Atlanta, Houston, or Miami and they do not even have a "real" consulate. I would rather have more international business flow than a "real" consulate versus an Honorary consulate.

A2

The thing that I find weird is that Charlotte has a higher concentration of German Corpoprations than Atlanta, Houston, or Miami and they do not even have a "real" consulate. I would rather have more international business flow than a "real" consulate versus an Honorary consulate.

A2

Consuls are really there for German citizens not necessarily German companies. The presence of a consulate makes foreign companies feel safer doing business in a city. Atlanta, Miami and Houston all have major airports which makes having a consulate a little more necessary. Or so i've been told.

A2

They do, I didn't mean to make it sound like they didn't. Only the Embassy in Washington is higher than a General Consulate. http://www.germany-info.org/relaunch/info/...consulates.html

A Consulate General means that they have a person who is a consul as a full time job. An Honorary Consulate has a consul who works a regular job (doctor, lawyer, executive, etc.) and is a consul part-time.

A Consulate General can help distressed citizens of their home country and they promote trade. An Honorary Consulate doesn't help distressed citizens, but does promote trade. According to this page Honorary Consulates can even be bought: http://www.discovervancouver.com/GVB/consular-corps.asp

Here's an interesting fact I found when I was searching for information: "The British Consulate in Charlotte was opened in May 1994 and covers the whole of North Carolina. It is the successor to the Honorary Consulate which existed in Wilmington from 1797 to 1945." It's surprising that Wilmington had an Honorary Consulate for the UK in 1797! http://www.britainusa.com/consular/nc/

Archived