Hudson Block

rbdetsport

There has been an increasing number of artciles out there about the redevelopment of the Hudson's Block. I felt that all of this news deserved its own thread. Rock Financial is looking at a potential headquarters place, they are looking at the block. The corporation has 3,400 employees and is hiring 200 more employees every month.

Livonia firm may need new hub when lease is up; some say site could be former downtown Hudson's.

By R.J. King / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/2005/business/0511/06/D01-372823.htm

• 4 months later...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, I was just about to post the new link. Anyway...

I didn't realize Quicken Loans were potentially looking for a new home. Downtown could definitely use another big boost from a company like that. I'm going to keep an eye on this one whether the Hudson block is involved or not.

Heh, I was just about to post the new link. Anyway...

I didn't realize Quicken Loans were potentially looking for a new home. Downtown could definitely use another big boost from a company like that. I'm going to keep an eye on this one whether the Hudson block is involved or not.

Would it not be better to refill downtown with businesses outside of Metro Detroit.....Quicken Loans could move downtown, but that leave a hole in Livonia.....and really does nothing to better the employment situation in the region.

Region stays the same for now but Detroit benefits immensely which in turn will help out the region. Building our core back up is extremely important for southeast Michigan, and im willing to sacrifice jobs in Livonia for that.

how generous of you :D

I am all for a healthy downtown.....but as the region operated just fine for hte last 20-30 years without one.....I think its importance is less than some people think.

Also....how exactly does a healthy downtown help the region?

Quicken is currently looking to build a new headquarters to bring all their current disparate operations together in the same building as well as expand their capacity as they are and have been growing fast. That means they have to build somewhere. Having that be in downtown Detroit helps downtown, Detroit, and the region. Having a healthy urban environment downtown will help companies like Quicken and Compuware attract highly desireable employees who are fickle about where they want to live and work. The region benefits more from this in downtown Detroit than in nameless-space Livonia. Regardless, the hole is/was going to be left in Livonia because they have to expand.

how generous of you :D

I am all for a healthy downtown.....but as the region operated just fine for hte last 20-30 years without one.....I think its importance is less than some people think.

Also....how exactly does a healthy downtown help the region?

Oh I don't know. Maybe Chicago does though. ;)

The region has not operated just fine w/o one. Detroit is the worst economic and social condition in the country. We have an extreme amount of resources that, when allocated correctly, could make us one of the top regions in the country. We've obviously chosen against that. Instead, our resources have become spread so thin that, with each passing day, more and more are lost. We're becoming flatter than a pancake with a big hole in the middle, it's starting to affect everyone, but noone knows what to do about it.

Oh I don't know. Maybe Chicago does though. ;)

The region has not operated just fine w/o one. Detroit is the worst economic and social condition in the country. We have an extreme amount of resources that, when allocated correctly, could make us one of the top regions in the country. We've obviously chosen against that. Instead, our resources have become spread so thin that, with each passing day, more and more are lost. We're becoming flatter than a pancake with a big hole in the middle, it's starting to affect everyone, but noone knows what to do about it.

Perhaps that has more to do with being a single-industry town than anything else.

Chicago, since you mention it, is not tied to any particular industry.....its base is vast and diversified.....which makes it much less prone to collapse during poor economic times, or changes in consumer behavior.

The social aspect, and the poor attitude of civic leaders are more of a problem then a lack of a successful downtown area in attracting new businesses to the area....

Quicken is currently looking to build a new headquarters to bring all their current disparate operations together in the same building as well as expand their capacity as they are and have been growing fast. That means they have to build somewhere. Having that be in downtown Detroit helps downtown, Detroit, and the region. Having a healthy urban environment downtown will help companies like Quicken and Compuware attract highly desireable employees who are fickle about where they want to live and work. The region benefits more from this in downtown Detroit than in nameless-space Livonia. Regardless, the hole is/was going to be left in Livonia because they have to expand.

With jobs comes people. With people comes houses/lofts/apartments. With houses/lofts/apartments comes shops and retail.

All of this combined = A new Detroit

The point? Maybe that they are actaully considering Cleveland if you read the News article from the 17th it shouldn't come as a surprise. Gilbert is trying to use Cleveland as leverage moving 3,500 workers that far isn't easy so I wouldn't worry too much

So might outside pressures. The mayor of Cleveland -- one of two out-of-state sites under consideration -- is plumping for his hometown and Quicken Loans is opening a Web Center processing facility there, though Gilbert characterizes a move from Michigan as "probably a long shot."
From Cleveland paper

The challenges of relocating 3,500 employees to a new state, however, would be a factor in any decision, Gilbert said. He spoke to the paper as he announced the April 3 opening of a loan center in downtown Cleveland.

I went to go see my mortgage expert last night... actually, I went out for a few beers with my friend who works at quicken loans here in Livonia... a few things:

1. expect an announcement within the next 4 months

2. said that its highly unlikely that they will be leaving the area

3. apparently a gilbert - kwame meeting has taken place

What were probably looking at now is a little bargaining between parties... which is smart. Quicken Loans is in position to really get some sweet tax breaks wherever they go. "Hey kwame, cleveland's giving me this, what are you gonna do about it, etc."

4. David Hall sounds the same in person as he does in the pistons commercials.

5. Its time to liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive, YEAH!!!!! 800-333-R-O-C-K!

• 3 months later...

I went to go see my mortgage expert last night... actually, I went out for a few beers with my friend who works at quicken loans here in Livonia... a few things:

1. expect an announcement within the next 4 months

2. said that its highly unlikely that they will be leaving the area

3. apparently a gilbert - kwame meeting has taken place

What were probably looking at now is a little bargaining between parties... which is smart. Quicken Loans is in position to really get some sweet tax breaks wherever they go. "Hey kwame, cleveland's giving me this, what are you gonna do about it, etc."

4. David Hall sounds the same in person as he does in the pistons commercials.

5. Its time to liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiive, YEAH!!!!! 800-333-R-O-C-K!

you're a moron.

Archived