Backward things in SC

GvilleSC

This is just a place for things that you may see as backward or something that needs to be reformed or even something you don't understand in South Carolina. It can range from government to virtually anything at all. Just run with it.

One thing that I just found out and don't understand is:

the state of South Carolina is currently allocating more money per prisioner each year than they are per student in higher education.

Just doesn't quite seem right to me. What do yall think or is there another issue out there?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to pay for every aspect of a prisoner's life though. With higher education you don't. Not that it makes it right or anything. Think about all of the stuff that prisoners need... you know, Cable TV, Playstation 2's, etc.

The most frequent backwards issue cited on UP is our annexation laws. It seems to be the cause of most of our states's problems :)

You know alcohol is not that much different from Marijuana, the affect of it anyway. Though personally I feel both should be legal any time of the day, any day of the week. But yeah if your gonna allow alcohol sales on every day of the week except sunday you need a really good reason to not sell on sunday, what is the reasoning in the law anyway? Or is there even any reasoning?

marahuana_warning.png

I think the no alcholic sales on Sunday is killing me. I just don't understand it. Why is S.C. the only state on the East Coast with this ridiculous law.

Well actually NC has dry counties where you can't buy alcohol on any day of the week and all liquor stores are owned by the State so there is no competition like there is in SC. Hence prices for a bottle of booze are a lot higher in NC.

And get this. There are a bunch of liquor stores on the NC/SC border on the SC side because they sell cheaper hootch to the residents in Charlotte. But the NC state law limits alcohol that can be imported across the border. So the highway patrol, I guess when they are bored, will station themselves where they can get a good look at Carowinds Blvd from the NC side of the line. They will count bottles that people will buy in SC and if they go over the limit and cross the line into NC, they get arrested. :shok:

This is just a place for things that you may see as backward or something that needs to be reformed or even something you don't understand in South Carolina. It can range from government to virtually anything at all. Just run with it.

One thing that I just found out and don't understand is:

the state of South Carolina is currently allocating more money per prisioner each year than they are per student in higher education.

Just doesn't quite seem right to me. What do yall think or is there another issue out there?

Ya a Prisoner AND its family should pay for their jail time.

Ya a Prisoner AND its family should pay for their jail time.

and how would that happen? What are you going to do if they don't pay, throw them in jail? The problem is that we put too many people in jail. Make most drugs legal, tax them and there goes your problem with overcrowded jails.

Well actually NC has dry counties where you can't buy alcohol on any day of the week and all liquor stores are owned by the State so there is no competition like there is in SC. Hence prices for a bottle of booze are a lot higher in NC.

GA has the same setup... its county by county. I get the impression that most of them are dry, but who knows.

and how would that happen? What are you going to do if they don't pay, throw them in jail? The problem is that we put too many people in jail. Make most drugs legal, tax them and there goes your problem with overcrowded jails.

Legalize crack, meth, and heroin for tax dollars? Pardon me if I think that is a terrible idea.

We should get more work out of the prisoners, rather than coddle them.

Tent camps ringed with razor wire should be all they get. Prison should be a deterrent, rather than 3 hots and a cot.

Legalize crack, meth, and heroin for tax dollars? Pardon me if I think that is a terrible idea.

We should get more work out of the prisoners, rather than coddle them.

Tent camps ringed with razor wire should be all they get. Prison should be a deterrent, rather than 3 hots and a cot.

I agree. a homeless man can committ a crime just to get free housing and food...

GA has the same setup... its county by county. I get the impression that most of them are dry, but who knows.

We're in the same boat - state wide Blue Law, which means you can't buy alcohol on Sunday. But most metro counties you can at least drink at a restaurant on Sunday, but not until noon. <_<

As Metro.M said about NC, Randolph County is dry but in one town (Randleman), you can get alchohol there but elsewhere in the county, you cant! Meaning you cant get served, you cant buy it, alchohol cannot be sold commercially. I know this is a SC thread but if Randolph County (Asheboro most importantly) could reinstate this, the county would boom in development since Asheboro is the halfway point between Charlotte and Raleigh and two major routes meet in Asheboro (US 64 and US 220).

I don't understand how the Blue Laws have escaped being overturned (I mean, if the Pledge violates the separation of Church and State, surely the Blue Laws do?) I can't fathom any other reason why alcohol sales should be restricted only on Sundays.

The pledge only violates that separation of church and state in areas under jurisdiction of the court that made that decision recently (was it the circuit court in CA?). In other words, that decision does not apply here in SC, or anywhere else not under the jurisdiction of that particular court.

I highly expect that the Supreme Court will overturn that decision, esp. if Alito is confirmed.

Although the blue laws were put into place because church influence, I hardly see how they have anything to do with the separation of church and state. Where in the constitution does it say the church and state should be separated anyway?

Separation of church and state is an interpretation of the clause that the government shall not make any laws that establish any religion. This is in turn part of our right to freedom of speech. Laws that govern when goods or services can (or cannot) be sold, do not violate freedom of speech or the establishment of religion.

I know in other states that things like cars cannot be sold on Sunday, hardly anything religious about that either.

The pledge only violates that separation of church and state in areas under jurisdiction of the court that made that decision recently (was it the circuit court in CA?). In other words, that decision does not apply here in SC, or anywhere else not under the jurisdiction of that particular court.

I highly expect that the Supreme Court will overturn that decision, esp. if Alito is confirmed.

Although the blue laws were put into place because church influence, I hardly see how they have anything to do with the separation of church and state. Where in the constitution does it say the church and state should be separated anyway?

Separation of church and state is an interpretation of the clause that the government shall not make any laws that establish any religion. This is in turn part of our right to freedom of speech. Laws that govern when goods or services can (or cannot) be sold, do not violate freedom of speech or the establishment of religion.

I know in other states that things like cars cannot be sold on Sunday, hardly anything religious about that either.

I won't launch into a political debate about what seems to be a hot button issue for the whole country right now, but if it is NOT religious, why not make liquor sales taboo on Tuesday instead?

I think the church/state separation issue is another thing entirely. However, it is obvious that the Blue Laws were at least influenced by religion.

I agree, and I dont think there's anything wrong with that. Religious influence drives everything. If it weren't for religion none of us would be here right now. People came to the United States because of religion and the country was, whether you like it or not, founded on religion. Throwing out things that founded this country will certainly shake its foundation and therefore making it weak.

When I was growing up in SC, they still had the chain gangs. They had to go out and do road work and dig ditches. They should not have ended the practice.

I agree. But better uses could be made. Able prisoners (not the worst offenders, but minimum security) shoudlbe put to work doind more than cleanin the interestates.

Archived