Backward things in SC

GvilleSC

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that the U.S. was founded because of religion. It was certainly one factor, but not the only one. The founding fathers concentrated as much on protecting us from religion as they did on promoting it. The "greed" factor is certainly an unfortunately legitimate point, also. It is way past time to rid the books of laws based on religion. People come from all different religions and many have none at all, so I feel that religion should be left to individuals and the government should treat everyone alike.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say that the U.S. was founded because of religion. It was certainly one factor, but not the only one. The founding fathers concentrated as much on protecting us from religion as they did on promoting it. The "greed" factor is certainly an unfortunately legitimate point, also. It is way past time to rid the books of laws based on religion. People come from all different religions and many have none at all, so I feel that religion should be left to individuals and the government should treat everyone alike.

protecting us from religion? Maybe from persecution, but not from religion.

We don't force religion on anyone by having our laws based on it or influenced by it.

Do any of you remember when you couldn't buy ANYTHING on Sunday in SC? I certainly do. Thankfully, we lived only five miles from the NC state line and could head out to do shopping when needed.

Sam Solomon, the forerunner of what became Service Merchandise (at least in the Carolinas), opened his stores on Sunday in S.C. He was Jewish and Saturday was his Sabbath. This caused outrage all over the State. How dare a Jew actually observe his religion! And this was in the 1970s.

My trouble with my home state is how it panders to the religious right. I think that makes it look terribly backward...and let's not even get started with the Confederate Fla...

Do any of you remember when you couldn't buy ANYTHING on Sunday in SC? I certainly do. Thankfully, we lived only five miles from the NC state line and could head out to do shopping when needed.

I do remember it, but I also remember in growing up in Myrtle Beach that local authorities refused to enforce any blue law that would affect tourism so everything would be open in Myrtle Beach on Sunday. The only exception were alcohol sales which is one of the few laws they did enforce. (I am not sure that alcohol sales could be considered a blue law since almost every state has restrictions on it.)

I'm not sure how Myrtle Beach got away with it.

I don't drink, but I never really understood why people complain about not being able to buy beer in SC on Sunday's. Just by your alcohol on Saturday and you can still drink it on Sunday. Problem Solved.

Indeed. That is just part of life here, so you get used to it. Not that it isn't annoying though.

My trouble with my home state is how it panders to the religious right. I think that makes it look terribly backward...and let's not even get started with the Confederate Fla...

I remember that - I think I do remember the mall in Rock Hill would open after lunch on Sunday.

I wonder if it's all that more profitable for stores to open earlier. Before 1 or 1:30 probably somewhat, but 12...?

People are in church and the night before was Saturday... What do yall think?

They definitely make more money by opening earlier. The majority of people don't go to church unless they're in a small town and 12 is a reasonable time to be up, even if you went out on Saturday night.

Speaking of blue laws, York county council is taking steps to suspend the blue laws for a year. The York County Regional Chamber of Commerce initially had asked the council to suspend the blue laws for the two Sundays prior to Christmas -- peak shopping season for many retailers. But Monday night, two council members asked to extend that suspension for a year, and the full council backed that idea.

The full story can be found here.

Blue laws have nothing to do with "Separation of Church/State" because the federal government nor state government can enforce it. The law is done county by county. Also, besides a slight sales impact on opening earlier, most retailers under Labor Laws have to pay an associate for 4 hours even if they worked at Sears for example from 3-6:30. When you open up earlier you have more flexibility in payroll and save more.

For those opposed to working on Sundays, all you have to do is submit a formal letter to your company stating that it is against your religious beliefs to work on Sunday and they must honor your request with no retaliatory action.

I thought you could buy it on Sunday in Beaufort & Aiken Counties??

There is a special provision for Horry, Beaufort, Aiken and possibly Charleston counties only, where a vendor can apply for a sunday beer & wine license and as a result can sell booze on that day. I have not kept up with it, but this was voted in some time ago. The rest of the state need not apply unless the law has been changed.

If I remember correctly it is a rather expensive license and only good for sunday sales, so many stores choose not to purchase it.

There are many cities in SC that have removed the blue laws (Greenville, Spartanburg, Columbia, Charleston, HHI and probably a few others too) but those cities' removal doesn't reflect the county that they are in. It could be that the City of Aiken doesn't have them but the county does. That is just speculatino on my part though.

Archived