Kentucky Love?

Lexy

I know where Kentucky talk is on here (the forum). But shouldn't it be in the Southern Forum, not the Midwest??? Seems rational to me, but who am I?

Anyone else feel this way??? I would love to be able to see what is going on in my homestate.

18.kentucky.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well my only hesitation with moving it is that its two major cities, Lexingtion and Louisville, are much closer to the Midwest than to anything in the South.

Well, this is an age-old battle, isn't it? I think KY is really more southern myself. I think someone, say, from Raleigh would find Lexington to be pretty southern. Same could be said for someone from Knoxville visiting Louisville.

Most Kentuckians speak Southern, many grow tobacco, and parts are famous for their BBQ.

Louisville has way more incommon with the Southern cities than the Midwestern cities as I have said earlier. Some get the term river city and Midwestern confused the definiton of a midwestern city is .(Not STL or Cincinnati which have alittle in common with Louisville with them all being river cities). Louisville's early economy was based off of manufacturing due to it being a Major shipping port it brought the industry to Louisville (whuch untruly sterotyped as a norhern trait), But what they fail to relize is that other Southern cities like Memphis, New Orleans(New Orleans of course was the largest due to it's shipping port), and Birmingham were also MAJOR industrial cities that declined as well

For example if you compare Louisville to Birmingham ( a hardcore Southern city) and Minneanplois ( a hardcore midwestern city) Louisville undoubtibly has much, much more in common with Birmingham from culture, to history, size, and even economy. And as yall know it's not even one of the top ten the densest Southern city ( density is stereo typed as a midwestern trait and) and it is the 15 most Liberal Southern city coming after cities it's size like Nashville and New Orleans.

Me living in the deep South for 4 years and then coming back to Louisville I really didn't see a difference, We all fight over the hamhock in the greens too LOL.

I mean Louisville in my opinon is just as Southern as Nashville they could be twins compared to midwestern cities like Cleaveland and Indianapolis.

So I have to say lOUISVILLE IS A SOUTHERN CITY (Remeber Derby)

Well, this is an age-old battle, isn't it? I think KY is really more southern myself. I think someone, say, from Raleigh would find Lexington to be pretty southern. Same could be said for someone from Knoxville visiting Louisville.

Most Kentuckians speak Southern, many grow tobacco, and parts are famous for their BBQ.

mmmmmm....Moonlite BBQ. :shades:

Anyways. I agree with sleepy here.

I grew up in Michigan.. no doubt about it.. Kentucky is DEFINETELY southern.

I'd say Cincinnati might have a more battle to where it belongs.. but Kentucky all the way southern.

Midwest is more Michigan, Ohio, Indianapolis, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, etc.. Kentucky has a completely different feeling.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: while Kentucky as a whole is very much southern IMO, Louisville is different. Louisville is sometimes considered a seperate state from the rest of Kentucky. To compare Louisville with the rest of Kentucky is to compare Chicago with the rest of Illinois. There is no comparison. The politics, the culture, and the people are totally different.

^ Choirboy, that is a given for most large cities - Atlanta & GA, Miami & FL, LA & CA, etc...

I think most can appreciate that Louisville has many more facets to it than just Kentucky. But despite it's Midwestern influences, just as Cincinnatti has southern influences - their state locations trump the city's regional affiliation.

Same thing for Washington, half the metro is in VA, but MD has for the past 100 years been accepted as a 'northern' state, particularly with DC being within the state.

I have to say that I've been to eastern KY many, many times and always felt it had a more "rust belt" feel than a sun belt feel. I'm sure a lot of that comes from Ashland Oil. It seems like you could slip Ashland into western PA and except for the accent no one would notice. Another thing I don't understand about KY is that it was never part of the confederacy yet if you go to eastern KY you'll see more confederate flags than in NC, SC, and GA combined. That's weird.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: while Kentucky as a whole is very much southern IMO, Louisville is different. Louisville is sometimes considered a seperate state from the rest of Kentucky. To compare Louisville with the rest of Kentucky is to compare Chicago with the rest of Illinois. There is no comparison. The politics, the culture, and the people are totally different.

Louisville is ranked 15th most liberal Southern city, after places like Nashville and New Orleans and right ahead of Birmingham, Southern

Louisville culture compared to Birmingham, (a hardcore Southern city) and Minneanpolis (a hardcore midwestern city) undoubtibly has 3x more in common with Birmingham and other Southern cities, and anyone can see that.

The people in Birmingham are different from people everywhere else in Alabama Why...because it's the states major Urban center with people from all over the country living there.

Louisville's history is one of a Southern city, But like New Orleans, and Memphis Louisville was a major shipping port of the south, which is the reason those cities had industry and are declining (now Louisville isn't since it merged).

Dixie highway starts in Louisville (Broadway) and ends in FLORIDA (goes straight through the South).

Louisville and Southern Indinana has more of a Southern feel than midwestern and that's obvious to anyone whos been all over the South.

Point Blank LOUISVILLE IS A SOUTHERN CITY!!!!

I will create a Kentucky forum and even put it in the South if that is what you guys want, IF you will support it. Our only purpose here at UrbanPlanet is to make you guys happy. :)

That sounds good to me. Who knows how many people would like to know what is going on there. Maybe attract a few more members too!

Thanks for your help and opinons on this metro!

I will create a Kentucky forum and even put it in the South if that is what you guys want, IF you will support it. Our only purpose here at UrbanPlanet is to make you guys happy. :)

I'm all for a Kentucky Forum!!! Sounds like a great idea. We cand definately try it out and see how it does. I think once up and going it might do quite well.

Archived