Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

perrykat

? About a Couple of Stores

OK, I remember having two stores in the state (not sure if they were national)....Phar Mor and Brendles. Always liked both stores....Well, what happened? I know PM went bankrupt and closed stores in Aiken and Greenville...Probably in other towns as well. Are they still around? What about Brendles? I always LOVED both stores - I've searched high and low and can't seem to find anything, out of curiosity. Thanks!!

Brendle's died somewhere arund 1996, due to over-expansion and increased competiton. There are no stores left. Phar-Mor died for similar reasons around 2001. I don't think there are any of those around either.

After extensive searching all I could find about PHARMOR was something from 2002 saying that they had 30 stores up on the block. So who knows...

There had been a Phar-Mor in Peoria, Illinois when I lived there. It too closed in 2001. It really boasted low prices and I missed it when it left.

There has been a vacant Brendle's on US 501 in Myrtle Beach for I don't know how long. It goes well with the vacant Waccamaw complex that is across the street. :rolleyes: That area of Myrtle Beach is in desperate need of revitalization because of the amount of vacant buildings (that goes for Fantasy Harbour as well).

There had been a Phar-Mor in Peoria, Illinois when I lived there. It too closed in 2001. It really boasted low prices and I missed it when it left.

There has been a vacant Brendle's on US 501 in Myrtle Beach for I don't know how long. It goes well with the vacant Waccamaw complex that is across the street. :rolleyes: That area of Myrtle Beach is in desperate need of revitalization because of the amount of vacant buildings (that goes for Fantasy Harbour as well).

Ahhhh, Waccamaw. Used to go there all the time when we were on vacation. I remember going to all three malls and there were actually stores! it's sad to drive past it now. :(

Ahhhh, Waccamaw. Used to go there all the time when we were on vacation. I remember going to all three malls and there were actually stores! it's sad to drive past it now. :(

Yes, there's nothing over there except a QVC store and Waccamaw Furniture and Fine Linens.

We used to go to these stores a LOT when i was younger. In Charlotte's Windsor Square, Waccamaw and PharMor were right next to each other and Brendle's was just down the street in Crown Point.

When I lived in the Chicago area in the early '90s, there was a Waccamaw store in Gurnee Mills - I never knew that I would live in the town where it all started :blink: At that time, I didn't know what the store was named after (later to realize the Waccamaw River).

I guess Waccamaw was doomed in 1999 when they bought HomePlace. :unsure:

Lot of homesick type memories mentioned - Waccamaw & Brendles were two brands I remember seeing across the state. As with Waccamaw it being in Myrtle Beach & later in Spartanburg, but Brendles was a store, along with Roses, Belks, Family Dollar, & Woolworths was in nearly every town.

HEY -- One last question!! What happened to ROSES??????????????????? Gosh I miss that store? I believe they're still around but I can't find a website. :silly:

Roses is a name I have not heard in some time! I saw one some place not too long ago, but I can't for the life of me think of where it was. I want to say somewhere in Florida. I don't recall it being any different from K-Mart, which was the only other option for me at that time. Then about the time Walkmark moved in Roses mysteriously vanished....

Roses is still around in a few places. I know there was a thread in the NC forum about cities where Roses can be found. The one in Orangeburg is still alive and kicking, seemingly hanging on by a thread. When I develop this last roll of film with Orangeburg pictures, I'll post a picture of it.

I was wondering about Roses too... The one in Aiken is also still open and gets decent business, but I haven't seen any anywhere else...

I'm pretty sure it's still going strong... The Food Lion in that plaza closed a couple years ago, not to mention the "Kalmia Mall" that has been dead for years, but the Roses is still open (remodeled exterior in the last 5 years), mainly since it's the only large discount store in that part of town. Really it's the only major store that's not located on Whiskey or Pine Log... If a Wal-mart or Target ever decides to build on the northside, that'll certainly be the end of Roses...