THA BUS!

dougtha1

THA BUS!!!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What second tier city has the best public tranit system?

• Macon
    • Columbus
    • Augusta
    • Savannah

^

that's my pont though if a city like Atlanta is staying around 250,000 than why would we think it is worthwhile to put it into a Columbus, Augusta or Macon. I could see light rail working for tourists in Savannah but as a major mode of transportation I just don't think those areas are cut out for it. I think the busses work fine.

Right. I'm saying its probably not realistic yet. Savannah might could pull it off IF it is worth the time of the tourists to use it, which I'm not sure it is. Savannah could probably handle some sort of low capacity trolley/tram system, but again- it woudl have to be geared for tourists.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know savannah has a water taxi going to hutchinson Island. I stayed in Sav. for 18 yrs and now I live in Greensboro NC which has a metro pop far greater than Savannah's metro and I think the public transportation here is terrible. I haven't used it but I know that the frequency of buses picking up people is low. On average every 15-30 mins. I'm not sure what Savannah's is but I know it's less than that especially in the city/urban historic district. I think savannah would do very well with a light rail that looped around the Historic district maybe 2-3 cars tops. #1 reason would be that the cars would be air conditioned and tourists would use the rail to sight see. By the way I don't think the tourist use the CAT often b/c I rode it quite frequently and never noticed any tourist at all...the tourist ride the trollies and horse carriages. I just thinnk savannah has a higher population of low income families therefore resulting in more people not owning cars at least that was the trend when I lived there.

Archived