News Helicopter

rocky top buzz

When one station gets a helicopter then they all think they have to have one in order to compete.

I think other stations do have to get a helicopter if a rival station gets one. It just as if a cell phone company gets a new technology, others have to get that same technology or something better to stay competitive. So if one Nashville station gets one, I think its safe to say that others will follow.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think other stations do have to get a helicopter if a rival station gets one. It just as if a cell phone company gets a new technology, others have to get that same technology or something better to stay competitive. So if one Nashville station gets one, I think its safe to say that others will follow.

I agree 100%. I think it will only be a matter of time before this happens. Then we will be able to watch it all unfold before our eyes so everyone in town will call and complain that the car chase interupted a favorite soap opera. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

• 6 months later...

Nashville already has police helicopters and life-flight helicopters as well as plenty of military helicopters that fly in from Fort Campbell....who needs more of those noisy things? :)

Why? WHY???

Dude! Now we can have live coverages of police chases and breaking news. Someone please tell me how thrilled they are that we will now be able to see our city from all sorts of different angles.

What a coincidence! Memphis' Channel 5 (NBC) just celebrated their 10th anniversary with Chopper 5.

Check out what Nashville is in for!!!

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?s=4899198

And helicopters aren't that noisy. They fly around Memphis all the time and their kinda drowned out probably because of the planes. Infact, after the airspace was closed after 9/11, I heard many comments about how it was very unnerving not to hear airplanes. Sometimes, Chopper 5 lands at schools and the pilot gets to teach students a little about his job. Its a great addition to the city.

Glad to FINALLY get one here. It will enhance the news. The gyro-stablized camera is top-notch vs. the older cameras 'with the shakes'

As for noise, there will be little to notice as LifeFlight alone will dwarf the airtime of Sky 5. However, you can plan on having 2-3 more as the other stations keep up.

In STL, we dreaded the police helicopters with the big searchlight - time to lock the doors...but the news helicopters showed stories like: the 93 floods, Route 3 bridge collapse, morning traffic, Friday night football games, etc.

To the forum: how long will it be before channel 3 and 4 get one as well.

Channel 3 already has them in the form of the Nashville police helicopters, right!?

I'm guessing you meant 2 and 4, and I would bet they won't be too far behind. What about Fox 17? Probably 10+ years off.

My source who told me back in November that Channel 5 would not ever have a news helicopter now tells me that he couldn't even let the idea out of the bag because of the competition.

Question to Bears. Do the other Memphis TV stations have helicopters?

As far as I know they do. Not sure if the UPN/ABC/WB affiliate still has theirs though. All of them had it at some point except WKNO (PBS).

Edit: After a little bit of research, I found out ABC, CBS, and NBC have their own choppers but the FOX affiliate shares a chopper with the newspaper Commercial Appeal.

Good lord... "Sky 5" is about to drive me crazy. They've been buzzing downtown for the last several hours. Is there a psycho on the loose downtown? Mass carnage on the interstate? Actually, there's smaller helicopter following closely behind, so I'm guessing they're shooting some promotional footage or something, but enough already.

Good lord... "Sky 5" is about to drive me crazy. They've been buzzing downtown for the last several hours. Is there a psycho on the loose downtown? Mass carnage on the interstate? Actually, there's smaller helicopter following closely behind, so I'm guessing they're shooting some promotional footage or something, but enough already.

We've been sitting out on the balcony watching them for a couple hours now, too... I figured they were filming their shiney new whirly bird... because you just know they're going to advertise the hell out of that thing while the other stations look on in envy!

I coudn't disagree more! Nothing makes me well up with pride more than this city buzzing on the ground, in the air, and everywhere.

We're three dimensional now baby!

Oh Lord. It took HOW LONG for this tv market to capatalize on a helicopter? I was beginning to wonder just HOW TIGHT the tv stations in this town were with their money. Now I know.

Lexington, KY and EVANSVILLE, INDIANA both had tv dedicated helicopters years ago. I'm talking late 90's buddy. We were SOOOOOOOO behind the rest of the country with this it wasn't even funny.

Channel 4 will probably just shut down now considering how tight those looney tunes over there are.

LOL... I remember when I was living there, the Channel 4 news broadcast looked like it was delivered in front of a blue sheet. And they had this really homespun aura... I'm sure it's what all the grannies out in Hermitage and Madison watched every night at their dinner tables. Them'sgoodmaters.

I saw sky 5 over downtown last night. I liked the way nashscan looks at it - we're three dimentional now! This thing is already bringing us never before seen views of our beautiful city. The newness of the helicopter will wear off in a few weeks for NewsChannel 5. My question is, how long will it be before 2 and 4 (maybe even 17) get a bird in the sky? Anyone have any factual news from the other stations?

I saw sky 5 over downtown last night. I liked the way nashscan looks at it - we're three dimentional now! This thing is already bringing us never before seen views of our beautiful city. The newness of the helicopter will wear off in a few weeks for NewsChannel 5. My question is, how long will it be before 2 and 4 (maybe even 17) get a bird in the sky? Anyone have any factual news from the other stations?

To be fair, I t hought it was pretty cool, too.. it looked like a ballet in the sky - very graceful. We could practically see the whites of their eyes at times - I think the passenger' eyes looked kind of like this :shok:

One of the great things about living where we are has been to watch the helicopters coming and going.. living in the 'burbs before, I never realized just how much is going on over the skies of downtown.. We get more than our fare share now -- especially where we are on the edge of Hope Gardens... more police choppers then other types.. imagine that! NowSky5 will just add to the excitement!

DAvid

Archived