Fifth Third Ballpark Enhancements

GRDadof3

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably not enough, but it's a start:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...7730.xml&coll=6

I always thought the suites were too closed off from the action.

What about new siding? I hope they included that. The last time I was there (admittedly, a year or two ago) they had siding that had colors that were oh-so-slightly different, but it looked really, really bad. The sun had to hit it just right to notice, but when you noticed...yeeeesh :sick: Glad to hear about that improvements are forthcoming! :D

What about new siding? I hope they included that. The last time I was there (admittedly, a year or two ago) they had siding that had colors that were oh-so-slightly different, but it looked really, really bad. The sun had to hit it just right to notice, but when you noticed...yeeeesh :sick: Glad to hear about that improvements are forthcoming! :D

yeah the new improvements sound pretty cool but that sidding is sick, it looks like its off a cheap doublewide, its a shame because it s high visability and next to the river, although it does not really matter I would like to see a really nice looking park. Lansing's is really nice

I'm glad to hear about this. Just from pictures, the park has always seemed underwhealming, even for smaller, Midwest stadiums. Oldsmobile Park here in Lansing just got some upgrades (video scoreboard and such), and over a million dollar worth of renovations are planned over the next few years. It would be great if the stadium would eventually be moved into Grand Rapids.

sounds like they will add a row of outdoor seats to each suite, which means that a siding facelift is probably in the works.

I kinda hope they make the park look more professional and get rid of the vynyl siding all together.

But if I had it my way I'd tear 5/3rd down and build a new stadium downtown :P

I have to agree. As much as I want to support the ballpark, it always makes me sad to see that it was put way out there instead of downtown or at least closer in. I think somebody really missed the mark; just look at how downtown would be today had the Arena been built out there or somewhere such as south on 131. :(

We live 2 miles away from the park, and have yet to visit. It was built in the wrong place, but we didn't have the downtown boosters to make a serious push to make it happen downtown. Once again, the return on investment won out over making it a true community place.

Back then though, the VAA wasn't even built yet. Unfortunately there wasn't as big of a push to get such services into the area. I think if a new Park was going to be built today, that downtown would be the first place it would be proposes.

• 4 months later...

Move it downtown and name it "UrbanPlanet Field". We just need to come up with the equivalent in corporate sponsorship dollars that the bank does. IF this forum impressed the Mr. X developer, GRDad could hit him/them up for an annual advertising budget.

Go, Moderator, Go!!

My dad said years ago that it should have been built where the Ford Museum is. What an outstanding setting that would have been with the river and bridges and buildings in the backdrop. The problem was Chamberlain and Baxter had NO support from GR. They had to do it all on their own and didn't get corporate support until the stadium was almost done. Lansing was able to build a better stadium in a good location thanks to Oldsmobile.

The For Museum location would be great for a ball park. Right next to the highway but still right downtown. Am I the only one who thinks that location is terrible for the Ford Museum? It's right next to a highway. Not only that, the highway is taller than the building! It just doesn't seem like a nice peaceful spot for an ex-President to be buried. Though it would be a great location for a stadium.

-nb

The For Museum location would be great for a ball park. Right next to the highway but still right downtown. Am I the only one who thinks that location is terrible for the Ford Museum? It's right next to a highway. Not only that, the highway is taller than the building! It just doesn't seem like a nice peaceful spot for an ex-President to be buried. Though it would be a great location for a stadium.

-nb

I think that Gerry Ford is going to be buried in Ann Arbor

Archived