Grand Palace/Delta Towers

tombarnes

Word is out that the Grand Palace Hotel on Canal Street is for sale. Built as the Delta Towers in 1954 and known in later years as the Sheraton-Delta Hotel and the Ramada Grand Palace, the hotel has seen many owners. Though it is very large, I would be surprised to see anyone pour much money into the building.

Picture... from WorldRes.com

http://images.worldres.com/property/a91000/91200/hotel.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully someone will come along and at least temporarily use it for housing for so many who are stuck away from their city.

That's a great idea, TSmith. There are many buildings in the city that could be for this purpose, espesially if they were renovated.

They are already doing that with several of the coast hotels. I think this would be vastly preferable to housing people in trailers.

I had heard talk on 870am about doing something like this to old hotels and apartment buildings in N.O. as an alternative to trailers, but I havent heard much of it since then.

• 2 years later...

Grand Palace/Delta Towers to be Sold at Auction April 17

The hulking hotel on Canal Street has had a troubled history, operating under brands ranging from Sheraton to Ramada. In recent years, it has struggled to maintain occupancy and never fully recovered from Katrina. The building is still solid, but will need a lot of work. The current demand for hotel rooms should be sufficient, however, to ensure a decent future for the building- if proper renovations are executed. The building cannot serve as a hotel without major work being done throughout. I wonder who will buy it....

Globe St.com

It looks like that abandoned old hotel is either in or very close to the footprint of the new LSU-VA Medical Complex. Surely it could be used in some capacity in conjunction with that new facility. The Bioinnovation project will be just up the street also.

062006_medicalcomplex.jpg

I think that converting these into apartments would be a great idea. Close to downtown and the medical district going up, on a transit line, and some pretty sweet views of the city on the upper floors.

The only negative would be having an apartment so close to I-10, but I've seen worse in other cities.

Archived