Feds might want to keep Ft.s Mac and Gillem

ironchapman

Apparently there is a chance that the federal government migh want to keep these bases, albeit for non-military agencies. FEMA has shown an interest in setting up warehouses at Ft. Gillem and a regional HQ in Ft. McPherson. Meanwhile, NES Atlanta could possibly become a hub for the National Guard.

As for Athens Naval Supply School, it will probably be absorbed by UGA.

The future for these bases sounds better than I thought it would at first.

On a side note, the Pentagon is going to keep 300 acres of Ft. Gillem for a special enclave while the base's other 1,100 acres will be open to other government agencies and then developers.

See Article

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently there is a chance that the federal government migh want to keep these bases, albeit for non-military agencies. FEMA has shown an interest in setting up warehouses at Ft. Gillem and a regional HQ in Ft. McPherson. Meanwhile, NES Atlanta could possibly become a hub for the National Guard.

As for Athens Naval Supply School, it will probably be absorbed by UGA.

The future for these bases sounds better than I thought it would at first.

On a side note, the Pentagon is going to keep 300 acres of Ft. Gillem for a special enclave while the base's other 1,100 acres will be open to other government agencies and then developers.

See Article

I actually would rather these area be redeveloped than remain in fed hands because there is such great potential for them. Except for NAS maybe. The thought of an expanded Zoo Atlanta as part of a massive mixed use redevelopment at FT Mc sounds great to me.

I actually would rather these area be redeveloped than remain in fed hands because there is such great potential for them. Except for NAS maybe. The thought of an expanded Zoo Atlanta as part of a massive mixed use redevelopment at FT Mc sounds great to me.

I see your point.

I will saythat I am not sure who's offer I support more when it comes to Gillem and Ft. McPherson, the Federal governments' or the developers'(the idea of turning NAS Atlanta into a National Guard sounds very appealing, though), . The feds, as the article says, get the first pick at the bases, though.

That Zoo extension would be nice to see, though.

I'm in total agreement with you on this Martinman.

A privately developed mixed use Ft McPherson would be of a greater benefit to the East Point community than a half used military outhouse. It is right across the street from the Lakewood/Ft McPherson Marta station and could offer opporunities for a thriving pedestrian area. A half used base is a slap in the fae. Either use it as a full installation or totally move on. FEMA is doing quite nicely in their current digs already.

I'm in total agreement with you on this Martinman.

A privately developed mixed use Ft McPherson would be of a greater benefit to the East Point community than a half used military outhouse. It is right across the street from the Lakewood/Ft McPherson Marta station and could offer opporunities for a thriving pedestrian area. A half used base is a slap in the fae. Either use it as a full installation or totally move on. FEMA is doing quite nicely in their current digs already.

Forgive my ignorance, but I always though Ft. McPherson belonged to Atlanta. Maybe it was the fact that it is surrounded on three sides by the city made me think that.

Forgive my ignorance, but I always though Ft. McPherson belonged to Atlanta. Maybe it was the fact that it is surrounded on three sides by the city made me think that.

I don't know who it "belongs" to....it may be in the city limits of Atlanta but it's at the border with East Point and East Point has always been wanting to have a continual development district along US 29. With all the development going on in the downtown East Point area, it would be advantageous for Ft McPherson to be developed as a mixed use development than a barely used "outhouse." Benefits of proper development does not stop at municipal boundaries.

That was my ultimate point.

I don't know who it "belongs" to....it may be in the city limits of Atlanta but it's at the border with East Point and East Point has always been wanting to have a continual development district along US 29. With all the development going on in the downtown East Point area, it would be advantageous for Ft McPherson to be developed as a mixed use development than a barely used "outhouse." Benefits of proper development does not stop at municipal boundaries.

That was my ultimate point.

I see what you mean. I was thinking more along the lines of how Atlanta owns Hartfield-Jackson, not what you were talking about.

I see what you mean. I was thinking more along the lines of how Atlanta owns Hartfield-Jackson, not what you were talking about.

If that was the case then the feds own Ft Mac....not Atlanta. I'm specifically speaking in terms of development and it's far reaching influence. That's why I mentioned East Point. Who owns it would be inconsequential in terms of it's future. It's affect on the area as a whole is paramount to the positive redevelopment of the area....be it northern East Point or extreme southern Atlanta. A half used base cannot be positive. While the closure would hurt some in the area, most of the military personel did not make their homes in the area. Overtime, with positive development, this area would benefit.

If I was on a governmental body for the area, that would be my ultimate concern. If it's not going to used as a full military installation then close it and allow whatever municipality it lies in to redevelop it for the betterment of the area. If you remember back in the early 90's when Ft Mac was slated to be closed then, East point was insistant on it's redevelopment. At that time there were no such code terms as mixed-use or Atlantic Station like but they wanted it to be a part of their redevelopment plans for the city.

I also feel that with the Beltline looming, it would be better to more densely utilize this area. Ft. McPherson is afterall near it's southern border.

I couldn't agree with you more Lady Celeste. I would like to see something similar to the redevelopment of Stapleton Airport in Denver. I would equate this to the opportunity at Atlantic Station. It's not often a large chunk of urban land becomes available to redevelop from scratch.

I think it will be awesome for Atlanta if the federal government will relinquish Fort Mac. It's already got so many totally stunning historical buildings.

A number of cities have done terrific things with old military bases -- one of my favorites is San Diego's Liberty Station development. What a great example of adaptive reuse of the old structures, along with new housing, retail, recreation, office and hotel development. San Diego in general has, in my opinion, done a superior job of managing its growth in intelligent ways.

I think it will be awsome for Atlanta if the federal government relinquishes Fort Mac. It's already got so many totally stunning historical buildings.

Wasn't Patton based there?

I'm beginning to like some these ideas for the redevelopment of the Forts. :shades:

Though I'm sure it was painfully obvious by now, the closing of these forts was made official today. Of course, we'll also gain about 4,000 people through the realignment of troops and the military.

What will happen to the groups and divisions headed here (3rd Army at Ft. Mac, 1st Army at Ft. Gillem, etc.)? Where are they moving?

See More (ATL Biz Journal)

Fort McPherson Closure Opens Eyes of Developers is the lead article in today's Daily Report.

Here's some interesting stuff from the article:

-- Fort McPherson has 488 acres, is more than twice the size of Piedmont Park, is halfway between downtown and the Airport, is just over a mile from the Beltline, and already has its own MARTA station.

-- There are 232 buildings on the base, including 41 listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Headquarters Building was valued at $132 million by the military, and a warehouse for the 3rd Army was valued at $59 million.

-- The base has an 18 hole golf course.

-- Environmental issues are not expected to be a problem, since during its 120 year existence the base has been mainly used for administrative and residential purposes.

The article says it's likely the military will try to auction off the base to the highest bidder. The highest price to date for a closed base was $650 million, paid by a home builder for the El Toro Marine Air Corps Station in Irvine, CA.

Mayor Franklin will today name the members of an authority (headed by Felker Ward) which will make recommendations for redevelopment of the base, although the Department of Defense, the City of East Point, Fulton County and the state of Georgia will also have a say.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andrea for the link to Liberty Station. Atlanta is so luck to have a project like that to look to for McPherson. I couldn't agree more that the feds need to fully use the site or give it up completely.

Something else that is running through my mind is to combind Liberty Station with the Disney World idea of the Hotel in the zoo.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/resor...ingPage&count=1

McPherson has a lot of room for Zoo Atlanta and maybe it could live off hotel rev as well as admissions and taxes. Condos, hotels, a world class zoo and golf resort all in one?

Another thing about putting the zoo there is that it gets it out of Grant Park. I lived in Grant park in the early 90's a found the zoo to be obstructive to daily use of the park. There wasn't a real good jogging run around the park grounds like at Piedmont Park.

Here's a bit of good news for Naval Air Station Atlanta. The National Guard has its eye on using it. Converting it to military base would also solve security challenges for two property owners near the base, too, Lockheed and Dobbins. No final word on the subject has been made, but they are interested.

This might be the best alternative for the base, seeing as the article says it is uncompatible for, say, a dense housing development.

See Article (AJC)

• 2 weeks later...

Base redevelopment vet to head Fort McPherson project

From the article:

The McPherson Planning Local Redevelopment Authority has garnered official Department of Defense recognition and hired Jack C. Sprott as executive director.

Read the article here:

Ft MAC redevelopment.

I am so glad to see the ball rolling on such a great piece of prime real estate.

I am so glad to see the ball rolling on such a great piece of prime real estate.

I am, too, although I guess it remains to be seen whether Mr. Sprott is the right person for the job. My quick stab at research suggests that his work in Charleston was mainly focused on bringing industry into the old Navy base, and that appears to have been successful.

Former Navy Base 'Everything We Wanted It to Be'

The Authority also sold off a large chunk of the base for mixed use residential redevelopment, but it looks like that aspect of the project has been plagued by delays and inaction.

Disuse wears on old Navy buildings

A decade ago, the admiral's house, perched atop a green bluff and shaded by tall oaks, just a few steps from the Cooper River, anchored the most desirable district of the Charleston Naval Base. Now, the place where the highest- ranking officer entertained military brass and dignitaries faces a war against rain, the salt air and bugs. ....

Others are concerned that the lack of repair is symbolic of the company's overall performance so far on the base, where work drags on at the park, no new construction has broken ground and at least one deal, a restaurant, failed to materialize.

Great research Andrea.

I'm hoping with so much riding on this piece of property that the cities of Atlanta and East point will be very vocal in the redevelopment plans. I like the idea of an expanded zone. I also like the idea of some dense residential and retail. Great access to two Marta stations should keep this redevelopment residential, retail and entertainment. Anything else would be a misuse of this great opportunity.

Archived