Mon-Fayette Expressway

blueblackcat

I am taking a working class literature class at Pitt and the professor is asking us to do a project for the term that somehow relates to working class issues. I have decided my project will be a small (7 page) research paper on the Mon-Fayette Expressway controversy. So I have to provide a general overview of the project, how and why there is/isn't a need for it, who the key players are fighting for and against it, and most importantly who are some of the citizens and businesses that would be directly affected.

I know that everyone on here is pretty knowledgable about this so I'd really appreciate any links that I can use as a source to start me on my way. My professor insists that I interview some of the people involved in this, and he already got me to set up a couple meetings. So first thing first is to set up a list of good interview questions that would help "humanize" this paper. Any help appreciated!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good link Chucka,

I forgot how polarized this issue is, good to get the other side, though the PaHighways.com also has both pro and con (last time I checked).

I don't like it that the highway is going to cut Hazelwood in half, I'd rather they make some room for it on the southshore of the river through the Waterfront, Hays and up through the east end of the Southside then releave some congestion on the Hot Metal by building a bridge there to 376.

By the way blueblack, how's the project going for you?

Good link Chucka,

By the way blueblack, how's the project going for you?

It better start going soon, or else. I've read through these websites and I've been trying to find relevant post-gazette articles that are against it. Seems like the paper mostly supports it, other than a few letters to the editor.

Last week was crazy. After driving to Quantico to buy a uniform for the Marines' ball, then having the alteration shop completely disregard my instructions and argue about how they don't think they messed it up, I ended up having to cut class to drive it across town to different shops to see if anyone could fix it overnight. I don't think professors really understand these kinds of things. So I'll get started whenever I can.

I'd rather see mass transit in the city limits be expanded then have a highway that adds to sprawl, but the Mon-Faye has always had a soft spot in my heart b/c of the decline of "Steel Valley" in the south. Any link between downtown and them can't be all bad. But again as fast as you can leave downtown you can also leave the blighted valley even faster :(.

Archived