Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I do too. However, I would like to see it accelerate. We need more, larger apartment towers (the Pavillion comes to mind or even a Cornell Arms/Senate Plaza style tower) instead of something like the VIsta Commons, whice is nice, but not dense enough IMO. The downtown living trend in Columbia needs to accelerate :)

I read somewhere that the "International" label can mean a certain number of connecting flights or somehting to that effect.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually it means that you have US customs located at the airport and the airport is a port of entry. I knew CAE had a Foreign-Trade Zone but was wandering if they had become a port of entry for passengers, i.e. "international" airport. I am actually a pilot/flight instructor so I do like to keep up with the airport. I am hoping CAE can land a small regional carrier that will use CAE as its home base so I can move back home!

Its also a nice airport. I went out there once, and the new road and the facility itself is nice too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They are still upgrading the roads out there still, more specifically the Loop Road. Oh, and about the airport itself, I think is is one of the nicest unused airports is the country.

Slice_04.gif

On a side note check out the LINKS page provided by the airport, thay have links to stuff all over Cola.

Just hold your horese's, guys, I really do see alot of urban development coming with the building and development of the research campus simply because it will be like having two large urban university campuses in the core of the city & the newer campus will be dedicated to research development and commerce. It will be a multi-use facility that house's the faculty that work there. I don't think there will be anything quite like it that will affect the community the way it's supposed to! I remember back in the late 90's the "Green Diamond" project by Burroughs & Chapin was supposed to be a RTP type of development, but obviously that got shot down because of its location. However the research campus is in a much better location than "Green Diamond" would have been in. I have absolutely no doubt that win it's rolling the area will see unprecedented development, and it's developing pretty strong right now. Even in the late 80's I haven't seen so much focus placed on developing DT Columbia. I remember the hotspots then were NE. There were a few new towers that went up (AT&T (south trust)for those who remember), & the C&S (BOA tower), but the present day vista was a dump! 5points was still happening though (Hootie & the Blowfish).

I have heard a proposal way back to create an interstate extention directly to the airport in order to bypass Airport Blvd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember hearing the same thing, I think it would be great for the airport and eventuall would lead to more use which in turn would lead to more flights/carriers.

Has anyone else heard anything recently about it?

Speaking of Interstates... I don't know if this is public knowledge, but a friend of mine tells me there's a 10-year plan that includes building another leg of the I-77 loop to I-26 @ Koon Rd. in Irmo.

Correction: He says it's not necessarily in the plan. They're just exploring the idea.

Edited by emerging.me

Interesting about Customs. I wasnt even close  :rolleyes:

I have heard a proposal way back to create an interstate extention directly to the airport in order to bypass Airport Blvd.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's being built right now, the John Hardee Expressway. The part from Airport Blvd to Platt Springs Road is complete. When the entire expressway is finished it will stretch from the I-77/I-26 interchange to the town of Lexington.

I don't follow. You mean like an outer loop to connect Irmo to Blythewood?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it's called the Northern Arterial and a segment of that (the freeway part of Clemson Road) is a portion of that highway. IMO I'd rather see the same money spent on mass transit. With the existing rail lines in Columbia, light rail would be an affordable expense.

Back in the 60s there was a plan for an inner loop around downtown with abuot 3 or 4o other "arms" out to the suburbs. The only thing that ever came of that plan was 126 and 277 though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Originally SC 277 was supposed to continue across Bull Street, Main Street and skirt the Elmwood Park neighborhood, have an I-126 connection and run along the river down to I-77. Luckily neighborhood activists prevented this from happening. Imagine how this would have hurt the development of the Vista.

Yes, it's called the Northern Arterial and a segment of that (the freeway part of Clemson Road) is a portion of that highway. IMO I'd rather see the same money spent on mass transit. With the existing rail lines in Columbia, light rail would be an affordable expense.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see. I do think that there needs to be another crossing of the Broad River than I-20. However, this is sort of comparable to the Northern Arc in Atlanta.

I think Columbia's best bet for mass transit in the near term would be BRT.

Originally SC 277 was supposed to continue across Bull Street, Main Street and skirt the Elmwood Park neighborhood, have an I-126 connection and run along the river down to I-77. Luckily neighborhood activists prevented this from happening. Imagine how this would have hurt the development of the Vista.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were quite a few planned. This was the approximate layout of the propsed interstate system. This would be very similar to Charlotte's 277. Can you imagine how different the city would be if this had come to pass?

cola_interstates.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I belive the long range plan is to connect 126 w/ 277(if you look at 277 as you are coming to the end and it becomes Bull,you can see the overpass graded) w/ the downtown interstate going in where the old train tracks are downtown. I think it would be great. the traffic would be down below so noise wouldnt be so much of a problem and traffic along downtown roads would improve dramatically, bull and elm coming to mind. The question is would they take it all the way to I77 and if so where, probably bluff or next to/above it but probably would win up being like 277 and the interstate stopping at the end of Huger. I dont see a downtown interstate connecting to 277 in my lifetime unless Cola really picks up alot of steam, hopefully so, I guess I want Cola to develop with all the positives of a big city and none of the negatives but I guess you cant have the best of both worlds.

Edited by thefuture

I was wrong about the part that sort of parallels Devine/Garner's Ferry. Its not supposed to be there.

I think that if an interstate was put in downtown that it would kill downtown. Columbia's downtown is successful because people are forced to drive through it. There was alot of protest to those interstates which is why they were never built.

Take I-277 in Charlotte. Go to the Charlotte forums and ask anyone about it. Most people see it as a useless road that only cuts off Uptown from the rest of the city.

I can understand an arm of the interstate going to the SE/ Lower Richland, or to Lexington. However, I would rather see a BRT explored first.

I can't really see any use for connecting 136 to 277?

These new thaters are awsome because you can see over the person in front of you, and they have "makeout seats."

However, the leapfrog development along Two Notch is very annoying to me. Nobody is going to go to the movies at Polo anymore, so you will end up with a dead building. What will be there next?

These new thaters are awsome because you can see over the person in front of you, and they have "makeout seats."

However, the leapfrog development along Two Notch is very annoying to me. Nobody is going to go to the movies at Polo anymore, so you will end up with a dead building. What will be there next?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, Spartan. In fact, why not build a 16 plex in town, you've got USC and all of the in-town neighborhoods. Talk about something that would be cool to have in town!

I agree, Spartan. In fact, why not build a 16 plex in town, you've got USC and all of the in-town neighborhoods. Talk about something that would be cool to have in town!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a fantastic idea. Heck, it doesnt even need to be 16 screens. 5 screens would be more than enough. I would go to the movies more often if it were in walking distance. It could share that 6 block parking area with the Carolina Center and the Coliseum. B)

That is a fantastic idea. Heck, it doesnt even need to be 16 screens. 5 screens would be more than enough. I would go to the movies more often if it were in walking distance. It could share that 6 block parking area with the Carolina Center and the Coliseum. B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't it be nice if one of us had the money to make these awesome ideas a reality?