Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Well, it appears as though the Columbia Inferno is calling it quits at the Coliseum and will be getting its own facility in Lexington County, not too far from the airport.

The article also says that the Coliseum is expected to be torn down at a later date. When that day comes, I will certainly be sad to see it go, but I expected that it would happen. That land is prime Innovista property.

Well, it appears as though the Columbia Inferno is calling it quits at the Coliseum and will be getting its own facility in Lexington County, not too far from the airport.

The article also says that the Coliseum is expected to be torn down at a later date. When that day comes, I will certainly be sad to see it go, but I expected that it would happen. That land is prime Innovista property.

Great news!! But why are they moving the Inferno from downtown? It would be more acessible if it was in a downtown centralized location. But what ever work for them. I wonder what's going to replace the coliseum?

Not the parcel where the old HOC motel stood. That is at the corner of Assembly and Pendleton, right across from Carolina Plaza.

I realize that now. For some reason I was thinking of a different site :blush:

The Inferno's move to Lexington is interesting. Its not entriely unexpected since they couldn't work out anything at the Carolina Center, and the Coliseum is aging fast, and its in a prime location for a nice new Innovista project. I wonder what this will mean for this possible stadium at Sandhill? Will they approve it too in the name of regional cooperation?

Hmmm, didn't think about it from the ballpark at Sandhill perspective. But in this case (Inferno facility), Columbia really didn't have a whole lot of pull, since we're now dealing with Lexington County instead of Richland. The article said that because the Colonial Center was funded with tax-exempt bonds, a professional team cannot play there (if I remember correctly).

I have doubts that the inferno would be successful at that location. It isn't a particularly heavily populated area of town and it isn't a section that is seeing alot of growth.

I agree. I don't get the business case for this at all. The team is paying for everything except the land and maybe a water/sewer tap or something like that. They must be packing them in to be able to take on that debt. The location is weak, not only for the reason waccamat stated, but would someone drive from Spring Valley to the airport for hockey? That locaton isn't central to much of anything.

Hockey has been suffering elsewhere too. Greenville and Florence have both had teams leave or change owners.

Well, this article in The State addresses most of our concerns. The arena is expected to host upwards of 160 events a year, and access to the arena will be significantly enhanced with the completion of phase two of the John Hardee Expressway. That project includes the widening of Old Dunbar Road, a new connector between the two roadways and a new access ramp from the expressway to Interstate 26. Construction is scheduled to start this year.

Also, the arena is only one phase of three for this complex. The second will involve an attached skating rink that could be used as an Inferno practice facility. It also could be used for youth and adult league recreational hockey and public skating when the main arena is busy. Phase three will be a hotel.

After reading the article, I don't think this may be such a bad idea after all. If the infrastructure will be improved to provide better access and the facility will host a host of events with lodging in the immediate vicinity, it may work out well for Lexington County and thus the region as a whole. Better this than the team leaving the state.

Edited by krazeeboi

Man...I wonder if this will cause a development boom around there?? South Congaree is the new Vista. ha. :)

The article says they're supposed to begin construction on a new I-26 & Old Dunbar Rd interchange this year. That will make the location more convenient. The article also said hockey fans are evenly divided between Richland and Lexington Counties, so the typical hockey fan around here should be able to get to it about as easily and they can get to the coliseum, since we do have a beltway. This is not exactly an urban development, but it does foster regional cooperation, especially since Coble made a positive statement about Lex. Co. getting the arena.

^This is true. And honestly, it would be seen as duplication to have another arena in downtown proper. Plus, the Midlands wants to keep this team in the area, unlike Kahn who wants to relocate one from elsewhere (in other words, there's nothing to lose with that particular deal). And the new hockey arena isn't going to be in the middle of sprawl, where upgrading infrastructure is more of a hassle. Lexington County is more than glad to land this facility, and I say good for them.

Looks like there at it again. A developer is planning 584-893 homes planned for Blythewood adjacent to the town hall....It would be one of the larger subdivisions in the Northeast Richland town. The Blythewood area is defintely picking up more momentum

It appears that Blythewood is going to be the next Irmo or Lexington.

I read in an article yestarday about the construction of the Village statdium in "the state" that the Village area in a 3mile radius has 55,000 people that seemed pretty dense to me. Can anyone living in that area attest to that?

Its true. There are about 55,835 (using the 2000 population) within all block groups that intersect with a 3 mile radius buffer. Some of those people likely live outside of the area. Specifcally, it includes 11,300 people living in Ft Jackson, which is its own block group. The barracks are towards the south end of the fort. It also includes 7,576 living in the block group to the north, which is largely outside of the 3 mile radius. So you're really looking at a population of about 37,000 in that area.

Density_Sandhill.jpg