Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

seems as though the developer that planned the 4 condo tower has scrapped the plan due to the neighbors fighting the development. I don't blame the developer, this is the most ungrateful state I've ever seen in my life. Everyone wants the city to grow, but as soon as someone comes to invest money in the city everyone protests it. And they wonder why atl and charlotte are vibrant cities!!!! I can't city cities like Charlotte or Atl turning down the chance to have 4 condo towers near a lake that's a hidden jewel to the city. This state is truly backwards!!

seems as though the developer that planned the 4 condo tower has scrapped the plan due to the neighbors fighting the development. I don't blame the developer, this is the most ungrateful state I've ever seen in my life. Everyone wants the city to grow, but as soon as someone comes to invest money in the city everyone protests it. And they wonder why atl and charlotte are vibrant cities!!!! I can't city cities like Charlotte or Atl turning down the chance to have 4 condo towers near a lake that's a hidden jewel to the city. This state is truly backwards!!

You don't want to have growth just for the sake of having it. Heck, a tumor qualifies as "growth" in the human body, but who wants it? I say kudos to the Lexington County council for not rushing into a decision and actually taking the time to carefully consider about the matter, especially since it would be the first of its kind in that area. If the developer takes this as a slap in the face, then I say that it's better for the metro area, as all it seems he cares about is simply making a buck and not the taxpayers in the community. Sure Atlanta has practically said "yes" to everything, but the unchecked growth, sprawl, traffic, congestion, and pollution are the prices the city is paying for it.

I see both of you guys points and I am torn. However I do believe that a spark must be made sometimes it may be ugly but when you don't have many barter chips sometimes it's the necessary evil.

I would actually like to see more public development for the lake such as an extended beach front, large marina, and greater recreation opps (such as hiking, and biking paths around the lake! It's one of the regions greatest gems tha't's severely under used!

The county never said "No"; they simply said, "Let's think about this a bit." At this point, all that is being considered is height limits, which is a very common thing and not unusual in the least. I don't know why this guy seems to be so impatient, but oh well...that only opens up the spot for another developer to come in and make some money and do it in a way that satisfies current residents of the area.

The bad thing about all of these homes being planned for areas in NE Richland is that it appears as though the infrastructure cannot keep up with the growth. Hardscrabble, in particular, is a MESS.

Indeed! When my wife and I were driving around looking for a home in NE, I noticed all the housing developments going up, but no planning or preparation for widening Hard Scrabble, Brickyard, or Clemson Road. This is the reason why I think if developers build new neighborhoods, they need to help build or pay for improving infrastructure.

Luckily, we live off of Sparkleberry...the road needs street lighting and sidewalks, but for some reason, it doesn't get the same amount of insane traffic.

I see both of you guys points and I am torn. However I do believe that a spark must be made sometimes it may be ugly but when you don't have many barter chips sometimes it's the necessary evil.

I would actually like to see more public development for the lake such as an extended beach front, large marina, and greater recreation opps (such as hiking, and biking paths around the lake! It's one of the regions greatest gems tha't's severely under used!

I agree sandlapper, I've been saying that exact same thing since I moved here. The lake severely needs more public access...the entirety of Columbia needs more public access to its natural resources. A resort combined with public amenities on the lake is the way to go. Hoprefully, as Krazee said, another developer will come and build something that will attract visitors to the metro area.

I agree sandlapper, I've been saying that exact same thing since I moved here. The lake severely needs more public access...the entirety of Columbia needs more public access to its natural resources. A resort combined with public amenities on the lake is the way to go. Hoprefully, as Krazee said, another developer will come and build something that will attract visitors to the metro area.

What other major public access points or parks are on the lake besides the dam and Dreher Island?

You don't want to have growth just for the sake of having it. Heck, a tumor qualifies as "growth" in the human body, but who wants it? I say kudos to the Lexington County council for not rushing into a decision and actually taking the time to carefully consider about the matter, especially since it would be the first of its kind in that area. If the developer takes this as a slap in the face, then I say that it's better for the metro area, as all it seems he cares about is simply making a buck and not the taxpayers in the community. Sure Atlanta has practically said "yes" to everything, but the unchecked growth, sprawl, traffic, congestion, and pollution are the prices the city is paying for it.

Exactly. Governments should be able to say no. If you tell one developer no, then others will start to realize that you are serious about the goal you are trying to accomplish. If you just let anything happen, then you end up with the mess we have now. Charleston is a great place because Mayor Riley told developers 'no' - lets do it this way.

Two days in a row I have seen men with hard hats standing and talking next to a utility truck at the old Budget and Control building on Gervais where City Club is going to be developed. Also, the construction headquarters trailor has been delivered to the Horizon Center block at Blossom and Assembly. And, yesterday I saw a bulldozer on the Canal Side property with a big mound of dirt next to it where they dug a hole. What to make of these little signs of activity?

Exactly. Governments should be able to say no. If you tell one developer no, then others will start to realize that you are serious about the goal you are trying to accomplish. If you just let anything happen, then you end up with the mess we have now. Charleston is a great place because Mayor Riley told developers 'no' - lets do it this way.

Charleston is also a known destination for tourist. What developer wouldn't try to squeeze money off of an tourist area. Charleston can really afford to say no, becaue the develpments are going to keep reocurring. But this is also the 2nd time a condo project has been scraped in this area. The first project was because of height which orignally had 4 towers with 13 floors , 2nd project had 4 towes with 8 floors. .

Charleston is also a known destination for tourist. What developer wouldn't try to squeeze money off of an tourist area. Charleston can really afford to say no, becaue the develpments are going to keep reocurring. But this is also the 2nd time a condo project has been scraped in this area. The first project was because of height which orignally had 4 towers with 13 floors , 2nd project had 4 towes with 8 floors. .

And Columbia can't afford it? With the amount of growth & development going on in the area, there will be others coming along if that developer does not want to work it out.

The real estate sign on the Powell Furniture building on Sumter Street now has a SOLD stamp on it. Has anyone heard who the new owner is and what their plans are (assuming the sale doesn't fall through)?

For some reason my post on the Powell building did not register on the list of topics, so I'm adding this post. See the reference box.

Columbia is getting a 60,000 square foot Sportsman's Warehouse at Piney Grove Road and I-26, where the burned out abandoned gas station is.

This will spur more develpment on piney grove rd. It's alot of rural land with housing developments sprouting up on piney grove rd headed towards broad river. I'm glad something is going up to replace the badly burned lizard thicket building. 60,000 square ft is a pretty big sports warehouse.