Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

The billboard on the property line between where the two Horizon Center buildings will be built is now gone. They took it down last week. Asbestos warning signs for the interior upfitting of the old Budget and Control building are on the doors and men are in there every day working, turning the building into condos. It will be surrounded by townhomes. The whole block will be a new housing development called City Club. A new interior design store is taking the place of the furniture-making store in the Dupree Building on Gervais. A physician and a bridal boutique are moving into the thoroughly (inside and out) renovated building that used to house the rug store across from Mellow Mushroom on Gervais. The building looks fantastic. Monterrey is now open at Park and Senate. Some more zoning signs are up at the Kline site. They've built a very nice looking covered walkway with wooden railing alongside Haven's on Gervais. Zoning signs are also up on the USC School of Law block where Workshop Theatre is. USC's baseball site has been surveyed.

I didn't really know where to add, this but this thread seems good enough: the gamecock reported today that the towers are definetely coming down this summer to make way for... get this... a new honors college. The new building is suppossed to resemble East, South, and West Quads with a "Green" image in mind. It will house mainly freshman and a few sophomores. Also, while speaking of USC, the patio in front of the Humanities office is being converted into a 100+ person eatery/web cafe. It will be open by fall '06 and no date has been set on the new honors college.

I didn't really know where to add, this but this thread seems good enough: the gamecock reported today that the towers are definetely coming down this summer to make way for... get this... a new honors college. The new building is suppossed to resemble East, South, and West Quads with a "Green" image in mind. It will house mainly freshman and a few sophomores. Also, while speaking of USC, the patio in front of the Humanities office is being converted into a 100+ person eatery/web cafe. It will be open by fall '06 and no date has been set on the new honors college.

Awsome news. They have been saying the towers will come down for a while now. I am very glad to know that dorms will replace them. It seemed like it was going to be replaced bya research campus facility. Do you think its safe to say that this will be North Quad?

Now, what is this Humanities Plaza goign to be, exactly? will it be converted into an indoor thing, or just refitted? They seriously need to rasie that depression because it floods everytime it rains. I always did like the outdoor part of it though. I hope that remains.

On the right hand side of the Dupree Building in the Vista on Gervais Street, there's a banner in the window that says CanalsideColumbia.com coming soon to the Vista - Turning downtown upside down - a new way to live in Columbia. On the left hand side, a store called Tarach & Roe Interiors is setting up shop.

On the right hand side of the Dupree Building in the Vista on Gervais Street, there's a banner in the window that says CanalsideColumbia.com coming soon to the Vista - Turning downtown upside down - a new way to live in Columbia. On the left hand side, a store called Tarach & Roe Interiors is setting up shop.

That sounds pretty cool!

Hey that's infront of Gambrell...I have my European history class right there...That was a eating area before they started doing that construction. What are they doing right there?

So, while in the library for waaaay tooo long today, I did some research. Did anyone know that used to be a reflecting pool...? Anyway, that area will be turned into the restaurant, but the Gamecock said it will retain the open feeling of the area. Its suppossed to be a web cafe and eatery, as stated before. Right now though, I wish they wouldn't do construction while I'm in class... wow that is a distraction.

So, while in the library for waaaay tooo long today, I did some research. Did anyone know that used to be a reflecting pool...? Anyway, that area will be turned into the restaurant, but the Gamecock said it will retain the open feeling of the area. Its suppossed to be a web cafe and eatery, as stated before. Right now though, I wish they wouldn't do construction while I'm in class... wow that is a distraction.

They took the reflecting pool out from in front of Cooper Library? That's a travesty!

TCL_4394e.jpg

Edited by waccamatt

I think he was referring to the area in front of the Humanities Building, near Gambrell. The reflecting pool in front of the library is very much in-tact.:)

Thank goodness. Yes, when I was at Carolina there was a reflecting pool in front of the Humanities building, but it wasn't as nice as the one in front of the library. I'm not as upset about its demise as I would have been about the one at Cooper Library, lol.

The Free Times has a few snippets worth mentioning here.

Downtown's BID is set to expire in September and City Center Partnership is beginning to lay the groundwork for a reauthorization of the district.

Richland County Council met on Jan. 26 to consider buying land adjacent to the Township Auditorium. A proposal to renovate the auditorium includes buying neighboring land to make room for an addition and new entrance.

Lexington Town Council has plans for a special census to determine if the town is eligible for extra federal funding. Growth within the town is beginning to put a strain on infrastructure. Town leaders figure Lexington is losing about $160,000 a year because the 2000 census lists the town's population at about 9,800 when it really stands at some 16,000. The special census is scheduled to begin February 9 and completed March 16.

Richland County Council recently voted unanimously to rezone 140 acres of farmland to make way for a housing development in Lower Richland. Residents are opposed to the development, primarily because of density. The plan calls for 350 homes. People who live nearby worry about added traffic on what are still largely rural roads and potential liability should new neighbors "wander onto their farms or into their ponds."

The Free Times has a few snippets worth mentioning here.

Downtown's BID is set to expire in September and City Center Partnership is beginning to lay the groundwork for a reauthorization of the district.

Richland County Council met on Jan. 26 to consider buying land adjacent to the Township Auditorium. A proposal to renovate the auditorium includes buying neighboring land to make room for an addition and new entrance.

Lexington Town Council has plans for a special census to determine if the town is eligible for extra federal funding. Growth within the town is beginning to put a strain on infrastructure. Town leaders figure Lexington is losing about $160,000 a year because the 2000 census lists the town's population at about 9,800 when it really stands at some 16,000. The special census is scheduled to begin February 9 and completed March 16.

Richland County Council recently voted unanimously to rezone 140 acres of farmland to make way for a housing development in Lower Richland. Residents are opposed to the development, primarily because of density. The plan calls for 350 homes. People who live nearby worry about added traffic on what are still largely rural roads and potential liability should new neighbors "wander onto their farms or into their ponds."

I'd wager that Lexington is probablly a little larger than 16K. Last year it beat out Greer as the fastest growing municipality in SC.

Thats interesting, but I'm not too distraught over it. Now, if they removed the reflecting pool infront of Cooper Library, theere would be hell to pay:)

There is a perfectly good restaurant on the ground floor of the humanities office tower. What will become of that?

I'd wager that Lexington is probablly a little larger than 16K. Last year it beat out Greer as the fastest growing municipality in SC.

Indeed. Lexington has done some pretty serious annexations since 2000 as well. Both of which will have added to its population.