Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Anyone who doubts Columbia's importance in the economy of the future, and present, needs to read a brand new 3/10/06 article on USC's website. This just in!!!!!................: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has just named USC a research institution '"of very high research activity,"' the foundation's highest classification. The classification "places USC in the same research category as Harvard, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Vanderbilt, UNC and California at Berkeley." They're saying USC is the only SC institution to have this designation, and that it is granted to only 62 public and only 32 private research institutions in the nation. They also say the Carnegie classification system is considered the leading research classification system and is the most widely used independent indicator of a university's research standing. It shows that USC's faculty are nationally competitive in getting research grants and awards, they say, and that USC's research reputation is clearly growing. The article gives as an example of the volume and type of the research going on here a $17 million grant from the National Institutes of Health to boost biomedical research throughout the state. They stress the importance of Innovista in keeping this momentum going. USC ain't playin'. Notice that the designation is "very high research activity," because the Carnegie Institute also has a classifaction of "high research acitivity," and USC got the "very high" classification. Nope, USC ain't playin", and neither is Columbia.

I just saw this tidbit in the minutes from the last city council zoning public hearing agenda:

Proposal: Rezone property from M-2, DD to PUD-C, -DD to construct 747,000 sq.ft mixed-use development.

PC Recommendation: Approve, provided (1) the developer pays for the cost of the traffic signal at the intersection of Huger and Lady Streets, (2) access from the subject property to Gervais Street is limited to right turns in and right turns out, and (3) the developer dedicates ROW at the intersection of Huger and Gervais Streets of sufficient dimension to install a southbound right-turn lane and the developer pays for the improvements to southbound Huger Street, including the new right-turn lane and double left-turn lanes, 7-0 (2/6/06).

Staff Recommendation: Approve, subject to conditions recommended by Planning Commission.

Is this the Kline Steel project? Or something else we haven't heard about yet?

I just saw this tidbit in the minutes from the last city council zoning public hearing agenda:

Proposal: Rezone property from M-2, DD to PUD-C, -DD to construct 747,000 sq.ft mixed-use development.

PC Recommendation: Approve, provided (1) the developer pays for the cost of the traffic signal at the intersection of Huger and Lady Streets, (2) access from the subject property to Gervais Street is limited to right turns in and right turns out, and (3) the developer dedicates ROW at the intersection of Huger and Gervais Streets of sufficient dimension to install a southbound right-turn lane and the developer pays for the improvements to southbound Huger Street, including the new right-turn lane and double left-turn lanes, 7-0 (2/6/06).

Staff Recommendation: Approve, subject to conditions recommended by Planning Commission.

Since the Kline site is the only site around there that I have seen zoning notices, it's got to be for that development. But that is big news for that entire area. And the upgrades will definitely be needed to handle the increase in traffic that will occur there as a result of the development.

Since the Kline site is the only site around there that I have seen zoning notices, it's got to be for that development. But that is big news for that entire area. And the upgrades will definitely be needed to handle the increase in traffic that will occur there as a result of the development.

Don't they have to move the bus depot to free up the entire property before this development can move forward? The bus people don't look like they're moving anytime soon.

Don't they have to move the bus depot to free up the entire property before this development can move forward? The bus people don't look like they're moving anytime soon.

Washington Street runs between the bus property and the Kline property. It runs from Huger Street to the northeastern rear corner of the state museum complex. When the bus barn moves it will free up land for yet more development that will be separate from the Kline development, unless the Kline developers then buy the bus property and expand the Kline development.

Washington Street runs between the bus property and the Kline property. It runs from Huger Street to the northeastern rear corner of the state museum complex. When the bus barn moves it will free up land for yet more development that will be separate from the Kline development, unless the Kline developers then buy the bus property and expand the Kline development.

Well actually, it's NOT going to be separate from the Kline devleopment. There was an article recently talking about how they've changed the original plans, and making it a MUCH larger development. Here's a quote from the aritcle. "The developers plan to purchase about 1.35 acres of adjoining property from the city that used to be the SCE&G bus barn." Here's a link to the article.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13588922.htm

Well actually, it's NOT going to be separate from the Kline devleopment. There was an article recently talking about how they've changed the original plans, and making it a MUCH larger development. Here's a quote from the aritcle. "The developers plan to purchase about 1.35 acres of adjoining property from the city that used to be the SCE&G bus barn." Here's a link to the article.

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/13588922.htm

I think the bus barn property is more than 1.35 acres. But anyway I saw somewhere that they have the new bus barn under construction. I don't think I dreamed that. I haven't ridden over there to see for myself.

That is great news for USC. I want to know how long it will take before USC's name is recognized as being at the level of those other colleges that were menitoned?

Interesting news about Lexington. I was wondering if they would ever finish that special Census..... Can you provide the link to the article?

This could become the next BIG thing for downtown Columbia. :thumbsup: