Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

What is awesome? What were you referencing, Waccamatt?

Never mind - I see. I rode around down there yesterday and the only zoning signs are on the Kline site. I'm quite sure the 700,000 sq. ft. development is theirs from Gervais to Washington and from Huger to the State Museum parking lot.

Wait a minute--the plans for the Kline project gives a total of 1.3 million sq ft total; could the rezoning only refer to one aspect, or phase, of that development?

I wonder what brand they have in mind for the hotel?

Only part of the project required rezoning, so I bet it is just the rezoned part they are referring to.

Do any of you know what (if anything) is going on the corner of Main & Lady beside the butt-ugly House of Fabrics building? I've noticed that lot currently being used for construction purposes (parking, etc.). I hope something excellent will occupy that prime piece of real estate. By the way, why would anyone want to preserve that old House of Fabrics building? It is truly an eyesore! There's nothing significant about that building except it's old. It is ruining an otherwise beautiful city block!!!!

Do any of you know what (if anything) is going on the corner of Main & Lady beside the butt-ugly House of Fabrics building? I've noticed that lot currently being used for construction purposes (parking, etc.). I hope something excellent will occupy that prime piece of real estate. By the way, why would anyone want to preserve that old House of Fabrics building? It is truly an eyesore! There's nothing significant about that building except it's old. It is ruining an otherwise beautiful city block!!!!

As it so happens, the House of Fabrics has been located on that block for many years and is owned by a couple of friends of mine. It is a viable business with ALOT of history in Columbia and isn't going anywhere.

As it so happens, the House of Fabrics has been located on that block for many years and is owned by a couple of friends of mine. It is a viable business with ALOT of history in Columbia and isn't going anywhere.

I hope I didn't offend you, Matt. I wasn't referring to the business itself, just the building that houses it! If nothing else, it really needs a facelift.

I hope I didn't offend you, Matt. I wasn't referring to the business itself, just the building that houses it! If nothing else, it really needs a facelift.

Sorry Jack, I owe you an apology. That post probably came out a little heated because I had just gotten done dealing with some birdbrains on another website. You are right, the facade of the House of Fabrics building could use some updating and I misread the post as the business needed to be moved. If you've never been in the store, though, they have alot of really cool stuff in there, especially for those interested in the theatre.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have that and something similar to London's erotic gherkin (Swiss Re) in downtown Columbia? Alas...... ;)

The Torso!!! I saw it in Architectural Record last month! There's something else in this month's that's similar. Very cool stuff! I would pee my pants if Columbia got something that modern.

b

Edited by emerging.me

What ever happened to this?

My wife was asking me about this the other day. I'm pretty sure I saw some space listed on Loopnet a while ago... it isn't there anymore, so I assume they sold it? But it doesn't appear that anything is going on... though I haven't peeked in in a while. Let's check it out...

Edited by emerging.me

Today's business section in The State has an article about USC and Columbia being ahead of the game in fuel cell research and applications. A couple of different leaders in the field on a nationwide scale comment on Columbia's advancement in this area. It's an interesting article. I don't know how to create a link - sorry.

Also, yesterday I got an email because of being on an email list that is of interest to the emailer that she "has accepted a position with Canalside" as project coordinator or something like that to get sales cranking. And they continue to set up their sales office in the Dupree Building on Gervais Street.

As of this morning the Gervais Bridge workers had only one more light post and lantern to go.