Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Good evening everyone. I was driving around the Northeast area earlier today and I was apalled at all the construction going on in the Killian area. If more developments were planned for the city limits like those in this area than the population would be growing at alarming rates. I do understand that a great deal of developments are being conducted within the city limits. After all the Columbia Metro area is growing at a good rate.

Another key area of growth is in the Rock Hill/Fort Mill Area. In the 2000 census Rock Hill, Sc had a population of 49,000 and in 2006 they currently have 58,000. Rock Hill, SC has now surpassed Greenville.

Edited by smithc57

Another key area of growth is in the Rock Hill/Fort Mill Area. In the 2000 census Rock Hill, Sc had a population of 49,000 and in 2006 they currently have 58,000. Rock Hill, SC has now surpassed Greenville.

I will not debate the fact that Rock Hill is indeed growing rapidly. I am glad for them. However, I want to make it clear that Rock Hill has surpassed Greenville on paper only. Keep in mind that most of Greenville's population growth has been outside the city limit. Even with that being said, I am confident the city population will see an increase before 2010, as there are new residential developments being constructed in every nook and cranny, and a few major annexations will steadily supply many more homes by then.

But none of this has anything to do with Columbia Area developments, so back on topic...

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/14486315.htm

Two new office buildings are coming to the Vista.

• a 1 or 2 storey building at Huger & Taylor 12,000 sq ft (SW corner)
  • a 1 or 2 storey building at Huger & Lady 13,500 sq ft (old cigar factory site next to Publix)

209936451952.jpg

The one at Huger an Taylor is rather dissapointing news. It seems like they would have encouraged something more grand for that site.

Both sound extremely boring. The building at the Huger/Taylor site should be on the same scale as the BellSouth, Comfort Inn Suites, and Law Firm buildings. As for the Lady St. site, is renovation even an option?

I agree...both of these are extremely weak! One across the street from the Kline site, and one near CanaSide. You'd think they would be planning for the future. And in the article, one of the developers doesn't want a 2 story building because of the cost of the elevator and stairwell. HUH???

If he's worried about the cost of two stories, he does not need to build in the Vista. And by saying that an elevator and stairs would take up space that could be rented is idiotic, since a second story would increase the space. Duh.

Not sure about 277 since I haven't been that way in a while. Haven't heard of any major projects there. Possible re-surfacing or shoulder work?????

Edited by BrasilnSC

I saw that and wasn't even going to post the article because it isn't even really "good news." Why don't they just find some space in an office park or somewhere out in Lexington County? Those parcels are too valuable for little measley 1 and 2 story buildings.

:angry: Boo, Sisss, They really need to only be constructing buildings that are on the level of the other buildings that are already present in the area. There for 2-measly stories is not enough at all! -_-

The only thing is, I wouldn't want all of the buildings to end up the same height except for the 8-story hotel at Gervais and Huger. If that happened the hotel would look off-scale, and everything else would look like what I always called the K Street syndrome when I lived in D.C. I hated D.C. because so much of the city looks like a giant ice cube tray was put down face first and then lifted so that all the buildings look like ice cubes lined up in rows.

LOL, that's how it's going to be in a city with a high demand for space and height restrictions. But I think a truly urban city like DC is worth the "ice tray syndrome." ;)

But those parcels should be reserved for something at least 3 to 4 stories if you ask me.

The only thing is, I wouldn't want all of the buildings to end up the same height except for the 8-story hotel at Gervais and Huger. If that happened the hotel would look off-scale, and everything else would look like what I always called the K Street syndrome when I lived in D.C. I hated D.C. because so much of the city looks like a giant ice cube tray was put down face first and then lifted so that all the buildings look like ice cubes lined up in rows.

Good point.

A blurb from the recent edition of the Free Times:

State Chief Justice: Richland Courthouse Needs Improvement

Some lawyers want a study of the Richland County Courthouse to determine what short-term improvements are necessary to meet the judicial center's increased needs. S.C. Supreme Court Chief Justice Jean Toal told a County Council committee on April 25 that improvements are necessary because of the "very deteriorating state of the courthouse." It could mean constructing a new courthouse altogether, and not necessarily at the same site on Main Street in Columbia. Lawyers have created a nonprofit foundation to help pay building costs for the judicial center, Friends of the Richland County Courthouse. Toal also plans to use state money to help pay for any long-term building costs because, she says, much of the state's litigation takes place at Richland's courthouse.

Interesting. If a new courthouse does get built, I'm sure that land will get snatched up in no time. And more than likely, a new courthouse would also be located downtown.

I saw that and wasn't even going to post the article because it isn't even really "good news." Why don't they just find some space in an office park or somewhere out in Lexington County? Those parcels are too valuable for little measley 1 and 2 story buildings.

True, but news is news, and developments are developments. We shouldn't not have something just becuase it isnt' up to our expectations. I think that it is just as important, if not moreso, to discuss the developments we don't like than it is the ones we do.

You're right; I guess it's really the location that is notable here, and not really the proposed buildings themselves. It's almost like getting excited over a new building in an office park off I-20 or something--I just can't do it. :)

Edited by krazeeboi

lol i know right...i dont think a one story building is anything to get all happy about...there's nothing special about that

I'll take a one-story building here and there as long as it is aesthetically pleasing and I can't see the AC unit on top. But the would-be developers said they will come back with plans to make it look taller than one story if they don't build a two-story building.

The CVS project is getting underway at College and Assembly across from the new Ben Arnold School of Public Health. The property is fenced off and a crane is up and demolition of the cheap looking mid-rise there is about to take place. They've already broken up some pavement and a peripheral part of the building. They're probably crashing into the building as I type.

Fantastic :) Has anyone seena rendering of what this building will look like? I hope its not a generic CVS store.

I haven't seen a rendering. It might have to look like it's two stories, depending on what the architectural review board demanded. But I rode by again yesterday and they have demolished about a third of that building already.