Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Another building for the research campus.

It's good to see this area picking up steam. While more can still be done, Benedict's positive contributions to that area of the city should be applauded.

I agree, Benedict has really improved that neighborhood. I want to see Benedict's football team move up to 1-AA and their basketball team move up to 1-A so they can play Carolina. A cross-town game would be cool. USC has recently added a few in-state 1-AA schools to upcoming football schedules.

The CVS project is getting underway at College and Assembly across from the new Ben Arnold School of Public Health. The property is fenced off and a crane is up and demolition of the cheap looking mid-rise there is about to take place. They've already broken up some pavement and a peripheral part of the building. They're probably crashing into the building as I type.

I just walked by the building and it's half gone :yahoo:

The Columbia Housing Authority is seeking to land a $20 million grant to help continue the redevelopment of the Benedict-Allen area. The competition will be fierce, as only about 5 or 6 communities throughout the nation will be able to get a portion of the $77 million allocated for housing renewal projects (which is a dismal amount--thank Iraq for that one).

The Columbia Housing Authority is seeking to land a $20 million grant to help continue the redevelopment of the Benedict-Allen area. The competition will be fierce, as only about 5 or 6 communities throughout the nation will be able to get a portion of the $77 million allocated for housing renewal projects (which is a dismal amount--thank Iraq for that one).

Imagine what kinds of good things could have been done with the hundreds of billions spent in Iraq. :(:cry:

Edited by waccamatt

The CVS project is getting underway at College and Assembly across from the new Ben Arnold School of Public Health. The property is fenced off and a crane is up and demolition of the cheap looking mid-rise there is about to take place. They've already broken up some pavement and a peripheral part of the building. They're probably crashing into the building as I type.

demolishing.jpg

Taken 5/14

What was this building?

I was in that building about 5 years ago. My college roommate and I had to plea our case in front of the USC housing director after receiving several housing violations while living in Capstone :blush: (gotta love the dorm life). So I believed it contained some USC offices for a while.