Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Sorry, Krazee, I did a search for "Wilbur" within the forum, and nothing came up, so I thought it had not been mentioned. I also don't frequent the off-topic forum but maybe I should start, huh? :P

I really hate that government green glass. Other than that, it looks much better than I exected it to look.

That green glass is back en vogue BIG time, Capt. I think it's one of the best trends in a long time, but that's just me. It's better than dark brown or reflective glass, IMO.

The hotel does look LOADS better--wish someone had a "before" pic to prove it.

Edited by digital_sandlapper

It does look so much better and I do like the green glass, adds some color to the mix. The new entrance looks pretty neat also. But, I do agree that something needs to be done to the top of the building.

I agree about the new entrance covering -- cool! You and Firefox are right, the top does need something to finish it. One thing I dislike about the renov is the use of garnet next to the Coke-bottle green glass--ugh! (But this has to remain since it is in Carolina territory!)

That green glass is back en vogue BIG time, Capt. I think it's one of the best trends in a long time, but that's just me.

I may in a minority, but I detest that stuff. To my recollection, just about every state and federal government building had that color glass at one time. I think the reason I hate it is the quality of the light inside. New lighting systems seem to have overcome it, because the glass in the RCPL doesn't drive me bonkers. However, my dad used to work for the state back in the day, and the green light through the glass would make me physically ill.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't ever remember us discussing this development. Has anyone checked them out?

At some point in the past, I thought I remembered seeing some townhomes going up in Olympia (not Whaley Row). Anyone might know what I'm referring to?

Yeah, I've seen them. They're down Garners Ferry. It's kind of a stretch to call that in-town living if you ask me. Kind of a stock development, but they are well built though. Nice looking townhomes if you're into that kind of new school cottage style.

As for Olympia, you may have been thinking about the single-family detached homes they've built down that street in front of the mills... next to the railroad tracks. They're decent. You may have also heard me talking about a modern townhome development, which sadly, isn't going to happen now -- at least not where I had planned it. :)

Edited by emerging.me

So does anyone know when the wayfinder signs will be installed around town?

I wonder how this project is coming along. And Rosewood Commons, the 20-unit upscale townhome development in Rosewood.

There was talk at one time of two parking garages being built at Blanding and Sumter and Taylor and Sumter; however, per Mayor Bob, the city is going to try to see if one or both of them can get built closer to the Washington and Main or Washington and Assembly area.

So does anyone know when the wayfinder signs will be installed around town?

I wonder how this project is coming along. And Rosewood Commons, the 20-unit upscale townhome development in Rosewood.

There was talk at one time of two parking garages being built at Blanding and Sumter and Taylor and Sumter; however, per Mayor Bob, the city is going to try to see if one or both of them can get built closer to the Washington and Main or Washington and Assembly area.

They are doing site work on Bower. I offically declare that the term "lofts" has jumped the shark.

I believe site work is going on at Rosewood Commons as well.