Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Here's some more info about Congaree Pointe, the 100+ acre mixed-use residential development being developed by Bible Way Church. This side of town could really use a shot in the arm like this.

The development will include:

• 40 Hallmark Villas starting at $150,000

• 160 Townhomes starting at $130,000

• 143 Single Family Homes starting at $180,000

• 36 Garden Villas for Active Seniors starting at $150,000

Here's the site plan:

CongareePointesiteplan.jpg

Renderings can be found here.

No construction has begun on the Inferno's arena. I've always felt that was a terrible location and I'd like to see them keep playing in the Coliseum. It would not really be feasible for them to play in the Colonial Center with USC Men's and Women's Basketball already there during the winter. Maybe the Inferno will buy the Coliseum, refurbish it and keep it open as an ice arena when not in use, with retail in the top part of the building.

• 2 weeks later...

From another thread:

I doubt it, too. Although I have heard that the city is interested in luring big box retailers downtown. It's a discussion for another topics, but the rumor I heard is that S. Assembly is being eyed for this.

Can you elaborate on this? I would love some big-box retail in that area.

From another thread:

Can you elaborate on this? I would love some big-box retail in that area.

Nah... don't know any more. Just heard the rumor from a developer friend. If the location isn't coming to mind for anyone... I'm talking about S. Assembly roughly between Whaley and Rosewood.

Edited by emerging.me

• 2 weeks later...

The State reports that the Republic National Bank building on Washington Street downtown will be turned into meeting and banquet space for the Sheraton Hotel going into the Palmetto Building across the street. Hotel developer Rick Patel said he signed a contract to buy the long-vacant bank building on Thursday and expects to close on the deal in 30 days. Patel will put meeting space on the first floor and mezzanine. Offices will occupy the top floor.

Orangeburg developers the Shuler Group plan to turn the historic eight-unit apartment Timothy Building on Devine Street, near the Devine and Kings streets intersection, into luxury condominiums. Because the building was on the old Devine Street trolley line, the firm is calling the project Timothy Station.

Not exactly sure where this building is or what it looks like, but I'm always down for some adaptive reuse. :shades:

Orangeburg developers the Shuler Group plan to turn the historic eight-unit apartment Timothy Building on Devine Street, near the Devine and Kings streets intersection, into luxury condominiums. Because the building was on the old Devine Street trolley line, the firm is calling the project Timothy Station.

Not exactly sure where this building is or what it looks like, but I'm always down for some adaptive reuse. :shades:

It's next to Mediterranean Tea Room.

• 4 weeks later...

That looks like a nice project. I'd like to see a site plan though. You can only tell so much from a rendering.

The whole south side of that parcel is in the flood plain... been wondering if that's where they'll stick some parking, or do major site work there or what. Would like to see a site plan as well. Regarding the rendering... who thought it was a good idea to mix all those architectural styles?! This is kind of par-for-the-course Columbia design though. I guess it's fine. Just hope someone raises the game design-wise at some point.