Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Thanks Dobboard, I agree about the power lines, but I guess we're just going to have to be patient as the city gradually completes streetscaping projects. I'm sure there won't be any power lines inside of Canalside, but those were on the outside of the project. The Senate Club building is a renovated apartment building at the corner of Senate and Marion, directly across Marion Street from Clare Tower. The Auto Dealers Association is located at the corner of Hampton and Pulaski, close to Renaissance Plaza and the new Springhill Suites Hotel under construction.

I thought that was Senate Plaza?

• 3 weeks later...

Columbia City Council annexed a huge amount of land that is already subdivided into mostly single family parcels in the Atlas Road area. I saw it on cable channel 2. I you go on their website and hunt and peck enough you can find the agenda that lists the properties taken into the city.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I think these are the tracts for that development. I know it's all near Bible Way

Ordinance No.: 2008-018 - Annexing 2712 Atlas Road, 2717 Harlem Street, 2721 Harlem Street, 2725 Harlem Street, 2800 Atlas Road, 2716 Atlas Road, 2504 Atlas Road, 2440 Atlas Road, 2533 Harlem Street, 2603 Harlem Street, 2605 Harlem Street, 2613 Harlem Street, 2617 Harlem Street, 2625 Harlem Street, 2629 Harlem Street, 2628 Atlas Road, 2612 Atlas Road, 2608 Atlas Road, 2604 Atlas Road, 2600 Atlas Road, 2532 Atlas Road, 2528 Atlas Road, 2524 Atlas Road, 2520 Atlas Road, 2440 Atlas Road, 2440 Atlas Road, Atlas Road, 2700 Atlas Road, 2704 Atlas Road, 2708 Atlas Road 2700 Atlas Road, 2440 Atlas Road, Atlas Road, 2440 Atlas Road, 2416 Atlas Road, 2412 Atlas Road, 2408 Atlas Road, 2501 Harlem Street, 2501 Harlem Street, 2505 Harlem Street, 2513 Harlem Street, 2513 Harlem Street, 2517 Harlem Street, 2404 Atlas Road, Atlas Road, 2328 Atlas Road, and 2324 Atlas Road

Staff Recommendation: {Mr. Chip Land, Planning Director} Recommends approval.

23. Ordinance No.: 2008-019 - Annexing Saskatoon Drive, Lingonberry Drive, 161 Saskatoon Drive, 153 Saskatoon Drive, 149 Saskatoon Drive, 145 Saskatoon Drive, 141 Saskatoon Drive, 137 Saskatoon Drive, 133 Saskatoon Drive, 129 Saskatoon Drive, 125 Saskatoon Drive, 121 Saskatoon Drive, 117 Saskatoon Drive, 113 Saskatoon Drive, 109 Saskatoon Drive, 105Saskatoon Drive, 101 Saskatoon Drive, 114 Saskatoon Drive, 118 Saskatoon Drive, 122 Saskatoon Drive, 126 Saskatoon Drive, 329 Lingonberry Drive, 325 Lingonberry Drive, 321 Lingonberry Drive, 317 Lingonberry Drive, 313 Lingonberry Drive, 309 Lingonberry Drive, 305 Lingonberry Drive, 200 Saskatoon Drive, 204 Saskatoon Drive, 208 Saskatoon Drive, 2 Aronia Court, 6 Aronia Court, 10 Aronia Court, 11 Aronia Court, 9 Aronia Court, 5 Aronia Court, 1 Aronia Court, 222 Saskatoon Drive, 226 Saskatoon Drive, 20 Wishmore Court, 24 Wishmore Court, 28 Wishmore Court, 29 Wishmore Court, 25 Wishmore Court, 21 Wishmore Court, 242 Saskatoon Drive, 241 Saskatoon Drive, 237 Saskatoon Drive, 233 Saskatoon Drive, 229 Saskatoon Drive, 225 Saskatoon Drive, 221 Saskatoon Drive, 217 Saskatoon Drive, 213 Saskatoon Drive, 177 Saskatoon Drive, 173 Saskatoon Drive, 169 Saskatoon Drive, 300 Lingonberry Drive, 178 Saskatoon Drive, 170 Saskatoon Drive, 166 Saskatoon Drive, 162 Saskatoon Drive, 154 Saskatoon Drive, and 144 Saskatoon Drive

First reading approval was given on March 5, 2008.

Staff Recommendation: {Mr. Chip Land, Planning Director} Recommends approval.

• 3 weeks later...

A Virginia company is planning a mixed-use development of single-family homes, apartments and offices on Farrow Road at I-20 and S.C. 277.

The Tetra Cos. of Virginia Beach bought 98 acres behind 84 Lumber on Farrow Road and has just begun the yearlong planning process for an

^That was my first thought too. This is just standard suburban crap. I wish Richland County required street stubs.

with this particular development, there is a bridge from Farrow Rd to access the property. So while an internal grid system could be used, ultimately there is only one point of access and egress. That is a limitation of the property (and potentially imagination) as to site access.

with this particular development, there is a bridge from Farrow Rd to access the property. So while an internal grid system could be used, ultimately there is only one point of access and egress. That is a limitation of the property (and potentially imagination) as to site access.

This is nothing but a typical boring suburban development.

This is nothing but a typical boring suburban development.

I don't disagree (that kind of like agreeing, huh) on that point. I was just commenting about the street grid and the fact that no matter what happens internally, there is only a single access point to Farrow Rd.

• 3 weeks later...

It said that is would be a recommendation in the plan. But here's the caveat- its the City of Columbia. How much effect is this really going to have? Some. But probably not much. Most of whats in the city limits is built out already. Its Richland County that needs a growth boundary.

It said that is would be a recommendation in the plan. But here's the caveat- its the City of Columbia. How much effect is this really going to have? Some. But probably not much. Most of whats in the city limits is built out already. Its Richland County that needs a growth boundary.

There is already a lot of infill development occurring in the city, but there is still lots of room for more. The 4 houses being built across the stree from me illustrate that fact. The way I look at it, the denser, the better.

There is a lot of territory in the city limits that was designed suburban-style. The plan would change that over time.

In some places, yes. But most of the city's neighborhoods are probably going to stay as they are today. The edges along major thoroughfares will probably change more than the neighborhoods themselves. I don't see how an urban growth boundary for the city will impact the current pattern, since developers will jstu skip the city for the county if the city isn't accommodating what they want to build.

It would suit me fine if when you leave the county and enter the city you know just from the looks of things that you have arrived in the city. That is what I see an urban growth boundary doing. The towns in the county can do the same thing. The unincorporated areas of the county would have a suburban or rural look, whereas the city's boundaries would establish an urban domain.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure where this was being discussed, but I think the new street/direction/landmark signs that are supposed to be going up around downtown may have begun. I was running down Gervais earlier, and on the left side (going towards five points from the river) i passed two blue and yellow signs with a Palmetto Moon on the corner and at the bottom it said "Columbia Riverbanks Region". They were in the area of the Clarion hotel and the Backporch. Anyone know if these are the respective signs?