Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

I'm not sure where this was being discussed, but I think the new street/direction/landmark signs that are supposed to be going up around downtown may have begun. I was running down Gervais earlier, and on the left side (going towards five points from the river) i passed two blue and yellow signs with a Palmetto Moon on the corner and at the bottom it said "Columbia Riverbanks Region". They were in the area of the Clarion hotel and the Backporch. Anyone know if these are the respective signs?

Yes they are. I'll have to take a peek at them tomorrow.

I couldn't find a better thread than this to post about Assembly Station. They now have a basic website setup and the complex is now officially being called "Aspyre at Assembly Station". It sounds like a great place for a light rail stop. :)

Aspyre

• 4 weeks later...

Columbia needs to add more shopping to downtown. I recommend the city invest funds in reopening underground Columbia. I do understand that the economic status is not all that great at the moment but something needs to be done when it comes to retail. We have the condos, the colleges, the sports, the bars/dining, but there is a lack of retail.

I thought that BCBS was just recently laying people off? Now they're building two new towers? They will probably be 5-7 storey buildings. Not "towers" like their current one.

They are always hiring and laying off, depending on contracts. I would hate to work there and you're probably right about what type of building they would construct.

They're already building a big addition in their complex at I-20 and Clemson Road. It looks about halfway complete. I can't see from the interstate whether it's adjoined to an existing building or separate. If it's separate, many it's one of the two towers in question, although I'd call it a big cube and not a tower.

They're already building a big addition in their complex at I-20 and Clemson Road. It looks about halfway complete. I can't see from the interstate whether it's adjoined to an existing building or separate. If it's separate, many it's one of the two towers in question, although I'd call it a big cube and not a tower.

The current building is half of an "X" shape, so the existing structure looks like a "V" open to the south. They are building out the other half (i.e., another "V" on the north side) so that it forms the full "X". So I would imagine they will be one continuous building, but not 100% sure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The attached article might explain why I keep seeing like maybe two men on each construction site downtown, and why we have yet to see any hint that construction is about to start on Horizon II or the second bioengineering building in Innovista, and why no one at all was working on the Lofts at Printer's Square in the Vista yesterday afternoon. It also may explain some of the other noticeable lack of new information and/or construction starts, including Center Vista and the old fire station at Park and Senate. It will be interesting to see how long this country's economic meltdown will delay or nix announced projects that seem to be just plans on a shelf. Did y'all ever know I could show characteristics of the type of people I've always called the Columbia negativos?

http://screnews.blogspot.com/2008/10/credi...n-midlands.html

There's a new publication that is going to be talked about on 91.3 FM at noon Friday; that's NPR. The publication is Columbia Regional Business Report. Their website is so new it's not fully interactive yet. It's attached.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/home

The owners of the Charleston Regional Business Journal recently bought the GSA Business periodical and started the Columbia Regional Business Report. I expect the business coverage in Columbia to be 1,000% better than in the past, and GSA Business should benefit from the acquisition as well.

• 2 months later...