Columbia Economic Notes

emerging.me

Good for business and will bring other national and local business to a blighted part of town as well as some jobs.

See we see this a a good thing but theres people in that area sees it as a bad thing. great example shows everytime theres a walmart being built the area sees major growth fast. because its needed for the store. and one in Downtown is the perfect spot. surrounded by USC 3 Major Nieghborhoods and with Assembly street seeing redevelopment i can see this really boosting more Mix use Stores and Residential development around this and along assembly.

This is a great idea i was really hoping they build this the best idea the city had yet. the area is really going to grow now.

This wasn't the city's idea; it was a private developer that proposed this. Growth is fine, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the basic form of intown Columbia. As is, the design for this development is wholly suburban and is out of character for the direction the larger area is trying to move in. Hopefully the city will demand a better design but I'm not necessarily holding my breath.

This wasn't the city's idea; it was a private developer that proposed this. Growth is fine, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the basic form of intown Columbia. As is, the design for this development is wholly suburban and is out of character for the direction the larger area is trying to move in. Hopefully the city will demand a better design but I'm not necessarily holding my breath.

growth is growth really shouldn't matter.Design change the original design looks perfect but i believe a change might be in order.

Probably something along the line or Mixed use surrounding the Walmart anchor store. with about 3 levels of above ground Garage above the main store. something like that if they change it to something like that then that would be great for that area.

Yes it absolutely SHOULD matter. The form that growth takes should be appropriate given its context.

Yes true but, I think a lot of us should look at growth and adjust it. i mean if a certain area wants to see a certain type of growth and its being offered growth but its not what they were looking for i mean Compromise is in progress afterwards. what you rather see Growth, Growth that makes a bit of both sides happy or the growth leaving because of too much conflict?

all of this is of course IMO

• 3 weeks later...
The capital city needs to step it up in the level of "very high tech" and "moderately high tech" manufacturing jobs. Area leaders do have that goal in their focus.

As if on cue, a high-tech manufacturer is considering a location at a greenfield site in a multi-county industrial park that has been annexed into the city to invest more than $5 million and employ 50 to 100 people. The city of Columbia does not currently have a tax abatement tool to use in attracting businesses. But city economic development director Jim Gambrell noted that the cities of Charleston and Greenville have implemented such policies, and he urged Columbia officials to consider such a practice. “We don’t often get a chance to look at manufacturing in the city,” Gambrell said. But he added that the current prospect “loves the city.”

• 2 weeks later...

Even so, doesn't Blossom constitute the southern boundary of the Vista? Since the building is proposed for the southeastern lot of Huger and Blossom, height restrictions wouldn't apply even if they are district-wide.

This is a nice project, but it would have been even cooler to see the Palmetto Compress & Warehouse building rehabbed for student housing. I remember it was proposed to redevelop the building into condos a couple of years ago before the recession, but gearing such a development towards students would practically ensure its success.

• 2 weeks later...

The Arnold Cos. and Monarch Ventures are planning to build a 600-bed student housing complex at the corner of Huger and Blossom Streets.

http://www.columbiab...on-huger-street

1341332842-Untitled.jpg

If I'm reading this correctly, and based on the current vacant land area, it looks like the site is next to the Blossom St bridge, so floors 1-3 on the taller portion of the site will likely be below the grade of Blossom St. Is there a site plan online somewhere?

If I'm reading this correctly, and based on the current vacant land area, it looks like the site is next to the Blossom St bridge, so floors 1-3 on the taller portion of the site will likely be below the grade of Blossom St. Is there a site plan online somewhere?

If you go on Google Maps and zoom in til it gets to bird's eye view, you can see that there is a place right past the intersection for an "exit" and there is a curb cut in place. From what I've gathered from reading several articles, the building will stop right before that. It shouldn't be affected by the bridge at all.

There should be a city block's worth of land between this development and the railroad tracks. Now future development may have to contend with that issue however.

• Like 1

I think it is by the bridge. The CBJ article says its "the city block bounded by Huger, Blossom, Pulaski and Wheat."

The plot of land by the Blossom Street bridge is next to Carolina Stadium at Blossom and Williams Street, one block from Assembly. The plot where the apartment building is proposed is next to the Blossom Street flyover that crosses the railroad tracks. The Blossom Street bridge crosses the Congaree River.

So i guess with this Development they are gonna Take down the Digital Billboard? I know its random but i was wondering because i like the Billboard and i know the Richland County Ordinance said that the Billboards has to be at least 300 feet from a Residental neighborhood or anything type or Resident Complex. will the same rules apply or will it just stay there?

I believe that's the bridge (over the railroad tracks) that Spartan was speaking of. It'll be interesting to see what the do under that bridge since that will be the only way for pedestrians to cross towards campus. Unless they find funds and a way to retrofit the bridge with sidewalk. Hopefully this kickstarts the proposed Greene St bridge over the tracks.

I'm also curious to see if the billboard will stay.

• Like 1